AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
General Conference broadcasts of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints are scheduled for Saturday and Sunday, October 4 and 5, 2003.

Morning session on Saturday is 10:00 AM-12:00 Noon MDT, afternoon session 2:00-4:00 PM.

Sunday begins with the weekly syndicated broadcast of "Music and the Spoken Word" at 9:30 AM, then the morning session at 10:00, afternoon at 2:00.

All OTA broadcasts on KSL-DT, HDTV channel 5-2 will be originated in 1080i 16:9 widescreen, and Dolby Digital 5.0 surround. This also applies to the new Comcast HDTV cable service, which carries KSL-DT's HDTV channel.

Additionally, beginning with this broadcast, all stereo feeds of LDS Church broadcasts from the Tabernacle and Conference Center will include a Dolby Surround Lt/Rt downmix, providing surround sound through Dolby ProLogic Surround decoders. This letterbox-crop SDTV feed is available via DISH Network and DirecTV satellite systems, as well as many local stations and cable TV systems worldwide.

Whether you are LDS or not, these broadcasts may interest you, due to the HDTV imagery and the musical performances of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and others.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The LDS Church Satellite Network (Telstar-5 Digital) will get the 14:9 Letterbox-crop feed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ken, was there are problem with the general conference broadcasts and the Dolby Digtal 5.0 feed? I have Comcast HDTV service and I couldn't get my A/V receiver to recognize the DD signal.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Due to some technical problems at the Conference Center, there was no Dolby Digital 5.0 Surround available. Dolby Surround ("Pro-Logic" style) is available on all of the stereo feeds.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I too was disappointed at the loss of DD 5.1 for the Tab Choir. I've yet to hear a better demo of the potential of HD DD because a live performance of the Tabernacle Choir has such incredible dynamics that just don't come through on Dolby Surround.

On the up side, it looks like the special on the Polynesian Cultural Center is in HD (or at least very good 480p). In any event, the pictures of Hawaii are beautiful.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Some of the locally-produced "in-between" programming was done in 480i widescreen, just like our newscasts (since they were produced by our news people).

I just wish they had CC them, too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.