AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Color me skeptical.

Over the last year, we have heard about no less than a half-dozen companies promising "more realistic" guitars. I think two even promised to have them by LAST Christmas. I haven't seen any article showing where the reporter was actually allowed to use a fully functioning model

As an Engineer with experience in both Hardware and Software, as well as a "real" Guitar player, they face HUGE hurdles in developing these things at the supposed "competitive" price point. Not to mention the complicated technology involved, to bring this to a level that the typical lazy J6P can have fun with.

Don't get me wrong, I eagerly await this, and I would be an "early adopter" regardless of price point. But I will not hold my breath...

·
Registered
5,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakesh.S /forum/post/18300605

there have already been rumblings about something like this being included in Rock Band 3. I'll just wait for that.

the rumblings were from Dahni Harrison who said he was being paid to consult on reworking the guitar gameplay for rock band 3 to line it up to the level or realism given on the drums in rock band.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
With the YouRock guitar blowing smoke for Christmas and now four months late with not much hype, and now this, I am hoping that RB3 is the one to bring this home.

...grinding gears...smoke from ears... Hey, somewhere someone quoted somebody from Harmonix or EA as saying they weren't interested in building hardware anymore. YouRock and FirstAct are touting six-string guitar controllers. I'm putting two and two together and hoping that there is an underlying 6-string controller interface from HMX for RB3 that both these guys will adhere to!

·
Registered
484 Posts
Or you could just go to a pawn shop, pick up a real guitar, usb adapter and one of the hundreds of programs out there that teach guitar

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hopefully, someone will make a video game that teaches reading comprehension and algebra soon. So many kids today can't learn anything if there isn't a controller involved and someone on the screen telling them how to do it.

·
Registered
879 Posts
While I understand why certain companies are trying to take this music genre further, I'm pretty confident it will fail. People don't play RB and GH for realism. They play it because it's fun.

I've been playing guitar for about 14 years now, and I remember it wasn't always fun learning to play. Once I learned a new technique, or figured out a certain part of a song I felt accomplishment... but it took a lot of WORK to get there. Heck... it takes a long time (6 months maybe) just to build up the calluses on your finger tips to play for more the 30-60 minutes at a time. It's painful... and if you fight through he pain your fingers do bleed. If you truly want to learn to play the guitar though, you won't care about the blood

My point is... learning guitar is hard and painful. Matching up 5 colored buttons and rocking out to your favorite songs is easy and fun. Most people would like to learn guitar... most (maybe 99% or more of those people) don't want to suffer through the years of practice and pain in order to learn their favorite songs. Learning to play the guitar takes work... and I doubt a lot of people out there feel like practicing and "working" just to enjoy a video game.

As for RB3, I'm going to take a wild guess and think that they're going to add more colors. Maybe 12 total colors that go from the neck to the bridge. That way when you're playing, on say expert, you can move up and down the neck with the song. That would make the guitar more realistic. You could take power chords in the song and keep your finger placement (like you would in real life), but just move your hand up and down the neck. I hope that no matter what they do, they make it fun.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts