AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help. I hate SSE. I mean I really hate that sparkly affect on bright scenes. I know all RP TV's have this. But, I have two questions:

1. Which of the current crop of Rear Projections have the least SSE? (Could be either Lcos or DLP..don't care).

2. Which of the crop of upcoming RP TV's (ie. at CES) had the least SSE??

Thanks.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melon Jr /forum/post/0

I don't really see it at all on the e2000 models from Sony, but can on other brands (that I've seen) in varying degrees.

Is that because the e2000 is LCD based and not Lcos?

In the stores, the Mitsubishi's seem to have it less, but there is no way to tell for sure because of all the variables.

Any other opinions?

·
Registered
779 Posts
No, it is likely less noticeable because the screen is dimmer in some of the E2000s (the 50" E2000 uses a lower wattage bulb than the 50" A2000).

Given a constant screen quality, the brighter the bulb in the display the more you will see SSE. This only applies to screens with non-reflective coatings (which most rear projection TVs have).

Stay away from JVC if SSE bothers you (since JVC is known to be a little worse than the competition in SSE). Personally, it doesn't bother me enough to avoid any TV I've seen it with.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I turn down the brightness on my samsung dlp and it helps..

·
Registered
69 Posts
My Mitsubishi 52631 seems to have very little SSE. Check one out at the store with the picture level set to the lowest (natural). The brilliant and bright settings are only suitable for sunlight hitting directly on the screen. It has a 150W bulb so natural is more than bright enough even in daytime.

If you find the SSE low enough to buy the set, make sure first that you are also OK with the SD picture on this set. It has an unforgivingly crisp picture which is simply brutal to SD shows and MPEG artifacts.

·
Registered
51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVBill /forum/post/0

No, it is likely less noticeable because the screen is dimmer in some of the E2000s (the 50" E2000 uses a lower wattage bulb than the 50" A2000).

The Sony sitting right next to the Samsung proved this. Even though they were both set ultra bright the Sony looked darker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDotCom /forum/post/0

I turn down the brightness on my samsung dlp and it helps..

I did that at the store and it did help. I'm sure I could live with it with the settings even darker.

The worst I've seen was a 52" HP. It was good value, but that screen was a killer.

·
Coyote Waits
27,308 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melon Jr /forum/post/0

The worst I've seen was a 52" HP. It was good value, but that screen was a killer.

HP made DLP RPTV sets for one year and bailed. That's not exactly a recommendation for a new TV.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a new JVC 1080p set and find that SSE is for me quite noticable at any distance less than 11 feet from the screen. It tends to spoil the realism because it's a reminder that I'm lookin at a screen. And at 11 foot distance you can't see all the detail of a 1080 line signal so the resolution is wasted - therefore sitting further a way than the optimum 8 feet is not an option for me. It might as well be a 720p set from 11 feet. My wife barely notices it and couldn't care less about it.

I plan to take another look at the Sammy which I ruled out at first because I could see rainbows (but only on dark scenes with rapid motion verses SSE which is visible to me far more often) - not too mention that the Sammy was more expensive), but I'm now thinking that if it is less prone to SSE it's worth a second look. If I find it's objectionable on all rptv then I'll take another look at the Panny 50" 60u which looked great in the store the somewhat lower rez and smaller size not withstanding.

I guess it's a question of what comprimises you can live with.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have the Sammy HLS6187 and SSE is the only thing i dont like about it. It would be the perfect tv if it didnt have SSE.

Turning down the brightness helps. Sitting back a few feet extra helps. I dont really see it on dvd's just OTA tv. And not looking for it is the biggest improvment. You dont ever notice it when your watching something worth while. But if the program sucks and you think to yourself hmm i wonder if there is in SSE sure enough bam there it is.

The Sammy is a hell of a set. It accepts 1080p through all connections, one of the only tv's that does. USing my xbox 360 to upscale dvd's thorugh VGA. Its superb.

·
Coyote Waits
27,308 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldorfSalad /forum/post/0

Owners of the HP DLPs have reported that their sets had very little SSE.

... and no one building a second model year.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.