AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am planning to select a True HD receiver for my cousin. His budget is around $600. I was thinking of suggesting Onkyo 705 because it seems to be good for that price range considering the various features it has. Being a Yamaha 3800 owner, I tried to suggest Yamaha 661, but some how he wanted to buy a receiver with HDMI 1.3 capabilities.

How is Onkyo 705? Heard that they have some heat issue? I was also thinking of suggesting Marantz 4002, but don't kow whether it had on board HD Audio processing capabilities.

Thanking you in advance.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
If you're not sure about the Onkyo 605, Denon 1908 / 788. End of story. HDMI 1.3 1080p24fps. More power than rated and sounds damn good for music and movies.

·
Banned
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightninesuited /forum/post/12993553

If you're not sure about the Onkyo 605, Denon 1908 / 788. End of story. HDMI 1.3 1080p24fps. More power than rated and sounds damn good for music and movies.

'

Does that have onboard HD audio processing(For Dolby True HD or DTS-HD Master Audio). My understanding is that Onkyo 705 has that and I am not sure Onkyo 605 has that.

Believe me I like Denon (I had a hard time in selecting my Yamaha 3800 when compared that with a Denon 3808CI), but for the price/features point of view, I think Onkyo is better. The thing concerns me is the various issues reported for Onkyo models.

One more thing: My cousin has KEF 2005 speaker sets and I think anything greater than Onkyo 705/Denon 2308 are too much for those speakers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What is your cousin's TrueHD source? If it's a PS3 then AVR decoding of TrueHD is irrelevent (until he gets other sources anyway) - as the PS3 can't bitstream the HD audio codecs; instead it decodes them on board and then sends them as multichannel PCM over HDMI to the AVR. Furthermore the PS3 can't currently decode dts MA, so you'll only get the dts core from discs with MA on them (which thankfully is a small minority) when played on the PS3.

The Denon 1908 can't do onboard decoding of the HD codecs, but it can accept multichannel PCM over HDMI just fine.

Other HighDef sources can be similar to the PS3, or they can at least give the option of decoding onboard and then PCM-ing to the AVR (or if they have analog outs then you can accept them that way on the 1908 too). In theory it really shouldn't make any difference whether the decoding is done by the player or the AVR. For Blu-ray players, this page:

http://www.idoblu.co.uk/page2%20Blu-ray%20Players.html

gives a handy summary of the bitstream/decoding abilities of the models currently available.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
988 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknown /forum/post/12994102

'

Does that have onboard HD audio processing(For Dolby True HD or DTS-HD Master Audio). My understanding is that Onkyo 705 has that and I am not sure Onkyo 605 has that.

The 605 does decode both of those HD formats. Looks like the MSRP is $500. Anyone found any cheaper or equally price models that decode both these formats?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts