AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was mentioned that the lowest price for an HDTV rceiver in the US was the DCT 100 at $450 which may include a $250 subsidy for subscribing to a satellite service.

The lowest price for an HDTV receiver in Australia is $725 or $356 in US dollars with no subsidy for the DGTEC.

If someone in Australia could provide info on how many have been sold and future availability it would be appreceiated.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
I know, I know, don't feed the troll. But this guy just won't quit.

Bob said,
Quote:
It was mentioned that the lowest price for an HDTV rceiver in the US was the DCT 100 at $450 which may include a $250 subsidy for subscribing to a satellite service.

The lowest price for an HDTV receiver in Australia is $725 or $356 in US dollars with no subsidy for the DGTEC.
Bob, I don't know what your point is but please get the facts right for once, OK? Do you remember this thread ? (You should since you posted 18 times to it.)

Did you see near the end where Cobra from Australia said "The price has been increased from $759 -> $899. Looks like it has come through as a correction"?

Did you see Majortom's followup response that that is "about US $438"?

Did you see my post earlier in the thread where I told you "ABT electronics also has a Samsung HDTV STB delivered for $429 after rebate. That unit has no DIRECTV capability so no activation is required."

The bottom line is the "best price" available today as reported by the Aussie contributors is actually more than the "best price" for an ATSC-only receiver here in the US. When are you going to take a realistic look at the world, Bob????

------------------

Rich Peterson

DBS Consumer Guide Author

·
Banned
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Peterson:
I know, I know, don't feed the troll. But this guy just won't quit.

Bob said,

Bob, I don't know what your point is but please get the facts right for once, OK? Do you remember this thread ? (You should since you posted 18 times to it.)

Did you see near the end where Cobra from Australia said "The price has been increased from $759 -> $899. Looks like it has come through as a correction"?

Did you see Majortom's followup response that that is "about US $438"?

Did you see my post earlier in the thread where I told you "ABT electronics also has a Samsung HDTV STB delivered for $429 after rebate. That unit has no DIRECTV capability so no activation is required."

The bottom line is the "best price" available today as reported by the Aussie contributors is actually more than the "best price" for an ATSC-only receiver here in the US. When are you going to take a realistic look at the world, Bob????

The best price was not what the "Aussie Contributors" was identifying. He was talking about one retailer who raised his price to the list price of $899.

The cheapest price for a DGTEC in Australia as reported by other Aussies is $725 or $356 US. This is in a country the size of New York City and the only country that has a 7 MHz wide TV channel making it the smallest TV market in the world.

The NAB (National Association of Broadcasters) and the CEA (Consumer Electronics Association) both warned Australia that they either would have no manufacturer build receivers for Australia or the cost would be far higher than the cost for 8-VSB receivers in the US.

The fact is that the cost of HDTV receivers in Australia is far lower than the cost of HDTV receivers in the US and if the vast US market were made available to that manufacturer the cost of the receiver being sold in Australia would be sold in the USA for $225 next month.

If you are for HDTV it would seem that you would be interested in the affect such low cost receivers would have on the adoption of HDTV OTA.

If I were buying an HDTV monitor to play games or to watch DVDs I might be tempted to buy an OTA receiver also if it cost $225 instead of $428 or $550 or $700. Also the news would spread with the receivers that the problems of mounting a rooftop directional antenna didn't exist anymore which also lowers the price and the hassle. How do you put a price on the hassle of putting up an ungainly and unsightly Yagi on your roof? The actual cost has to start at $100 minimum.

I think if you did a survey just the idea of having to put up that antenna dissuades 80% of those who consider OTA DTV reception even before they consider the price of the receiver.

Even in the small market of Australia the cost of receivers will fall to $250 within a year. The original list price was $699 or $343 US. This shows and I have talked to the manufacturer that the unit could be sold profitably at $343 right now.

If you want HDTV to succeed I can't understand why you defend those who are ripping you off with high priced receivers and the need for rooftop antennas. If you are pro HDTV it would seem you would champion low cost receivers and ease of reception. Makes sense to me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
While I'm not buying into the modulation debate on this forum, you guys have got to remember that our little aussie battler of a dollar (aka the South Pacific Paso) has just sunk without a trace to below US50 cents, therefore prices quoted when our buck was around 54-57 US cents not all that long ago are somewhat meaningless now! (If you guys think Alan Greenspan is bad, you ought to meet our home grown mob of financial 'wankers' Abbot & Costello, I kid you not!)

Considering Oz has it's own local oil supplies, uranium mines, efficient food production, modern manufacturing base, a reasonably well educated but smallish population and a stable political system, I for one can't work out why our aussie dollar is now worth less than the "Botswanan Bongo"? Go figure, cause we aussie Joe Six-Packs can't!!! (The world's largest island or smallest continent and arguably most stuffed or undervalued first world economy?)

Back on topic, the DGTECH boxes depending on who you talk to are: 1) on a container ship somewhere in the Pacific; 2) on the wharf awaiting Oz customs clearance; 3) in the back room of the local Hi-Fi shop; 4) In my friend's home, just unpacked and switched on, getting ready to watch "Saving Private Ryan" on Channel 10 this coming week in 'native' 1080i/50? Take your pick of any of the above, they are all possibly true!

In reality there are a few DGTECH HD boxes already out in the Oz marketplace but we are talking hundreds here, not yet the thousands that are still 'coming soon' as they keep telling us. The broadcasters, CE manufacturers, high end retailers and a very select group of 'punters' have the few pre-release 'demo' prototype models that were about when our version of your NAB (SMPTE) was held in Sydney a few months ago.

Cheers from what's left of the down under $,

Kanga

[This message has been edited by Kanga (edited 10-03-2001).]

·
Banned
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Kanga:
While I'm not buying into the modulation debate on this forum, you guys have got to remember that our little aussie battler of a dollar (aka the South Pacific Paso) has just sunk without a trace to below US50 cents, therefore prices quoted when our buck was around 54-57 US cents not all that long ago are somewhat meaningless now! (If you guys think Alan Greenspan is bad, you ought to meet our home grown mob of financial 'wankers' Abbot & Costello, I kid you not!)

Kanga

[This message has been edited by Kanga (edited 10-03-2001).]
Kanga

The fact that the Aussie dollar is low compared to the US dollar has no affect. The DGTEC is made in Taiwan as are many STB's. The price has the same relationship to the US receivers produced in places like Korea.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes Bob you are basically correct but unfortunately our Oz dollar for reasons unknown has also fallen compared to just about every other world currency including the "Botswanan Bongo" so as most international trade is done in US dollars, even for stuff coming from Korea, it still means the cost to hit the docks here in Oz is higher than what was quoted when the DGTECH was announced several months ago.

I wish it wasn't so but never underestimate the Australian ability to come up with a really good system and completely stuff up it's implementation. You've seen our crazy DTV mandatory triplecasting legislation and I've seen the $$$ gleam in the eyes of our CE industry mob who make Genghis Kahn look like a nice guy to do business with?

It will get better when Zinwell & Nokia get their HD boxes out here and then we can expect to see what some real competition will do to pricing? SD boxes are about to come down in price quite soon as I've heard rumours of a box coming that's under A$350, which is a long way from the original A$699 Thomson SD box released last January.

The pricing will improve here soon I'm assured, even with our shocking exchange rate and greedy local CE industry?

Cheers,

Kanga

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
I think I saw a post from Utne recently. After a long absence, I think the two pronged attack is about to begin again. Oh well. Everyone needs a hobby.

·
Banned
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry G:
I think I saw a post from Utne recently. After a long absence, I think the two pronged attack is about to begin again. Oh well. Everyone needs a hobby.
I don't understand the characterization of an attack. When you hear that HDTV receivers in Australia will be priced soon as low as $350 in Australia or $173.20 in US dollars that has to be very good news for HDTV. That is the price that receivers could easily be selling for in the US right now.

At that price and with easy indoor reception the DTV transition and HDTV would be taking off in the US right now.

Instead we hear about Zenith and NxtWave bastadizing 8-VSB so that HDTV is going to be at least problematic. They are going to have to swallow the boot that they have in their mouth and talk about how you can now do HDTV with 9 or 10 Mbps instead of the sacred cow, 19.34 Mbps that they were so protective of before.

If you are truly pro HDTV start thinking of the delay inherent in waiting till the summer of 2004 till the new fixed 8-VSB receivers are available and contemplate the price that they will have compared to the price that other countries will be paying for HDTV receivers by then.

I would expect that by 2004 HDTV receivers will be built into Australian TV's whether HDTV or SDTV and the additional cost will be less than $50 US. These TV's will come with diversity antennas that also may be built in and invisible.

True plug and play. And here in the US in 2004 Zenith with much hoopla will introduce their new mobile 8-VSB receivers at no additional cost or no aditional charge for IP at $500 per.

Waiting for 2004 isn't much of a delay and I doubt if anyone will delay buying current receivers till then right?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.