AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Least expensive OTA ATSC and NTSC tuner

663 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  ice_burg 
#1 ·
I know there have bene variations on this theme, but I'm wondering what STB would work best for an all in one solution...If I get a good STB I don't want to have three different inputs (SAT, HDTV and NTSC) just for television...

What STB can handle the HD and regular (NTSC) inputs, the cheapest? I know the Samsung 165 can, but it seems that in order to have NTSC it adds almost $300 to the cost compared with other ATSC only STB's? As you can guess, I'm a newbie at all this and any help would be greatly appreciated.

#3 ·
You may find that an open-box unit that does DirecTV is the cheapest solution. My DTC-100 does both ATSC and NTSC (either cable or OTA), and can often be found for under $400. I believe the Hughes E86 and clones can do the same thing and can usually be had for around that price as well. You don't need to activate DirecTV for it to work for OTA signals.

SMK

#4 ·
How does one go about buying a direct TV receiver and then not activate the Direct TV part?? Circuit City and Best Buy, both refuse to sell one with out the subscription.....I would really like to know as this could make my purchasing decision easier since i am in the same boat..

#5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by ice_burg
How does one go about buying a direct TV receiver and then not activate the Direct TV part?? Circuit City and Best Buy, both refuse to sell one with out the subscription.....I would really like to know as this could make my purchasing decision easier since i am in the same boat..

I had the same experience a month ago with an open box/demo RCA DTC-100. I wanted to use it for OTA with the potential for D* in the future. It made sense to me since the box had already been used by Radio Shack in their store, in other words already activated once. They were even going to keep the card. But no good, their computers wouldn't allow the sale without a D* account number or a signed contract. So I don't think it is possible to get these combo receivers from retailers (in any condition, OB, returns, etc) without a D* commitment. Your best bet is probably ebay.:rolleyes:

Andy

#6 ·
Quote:
How does one go about buying a direct TV receiver and then not activate the Direct TV part?? Circuit City and Best Buy, both refuse to sell one with out the subscription
Many retailers don't require the subscription as part of the sale. You just need to find one that doesn't. A couple online retailers that (to the best of my knowlege) don't require subscriptions include vanns and copperbox .

#7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by ice_burg

I have one for sale for $375.00 including the VHDC300 convertor. If you are interested PM me.

#8 ·
I do have a DirecTV subscription. My first DTC-100 I got on sale at Best Buy and had the usual contract nonsense attached to it. Since I already subscribed and was going to continue to, I didn't care. I got my second unit at a fabulous price at BrandsMart in the Sawgrass Mills in Florida. It was a factory refurb. They did not require any type of contract or subscription to DirecTV to buy it.

SMK

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.