AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know Bi-wiring and passibe biamping are argued to have little or no benefit by many but I am doing it increase the wire gauge withough using super large cable with higher impedance.

I got the 4x12g wire from monoprice and plan to bi-wire my center and bi-amo the fronts using my onkyo 805's passive bi-amping.

My question is: With the Bi-wire would you leave the connector plate in place and basically bridge the two negative and two positive 12g wires?

Second: For the bi-amping would I take out the connector?

Another question but slightly unrelated. If I use banana clips just for connecting to the back of the reciever is it a problem if the hole for the wires is slightly to small and causes some of the wire to crumple down, basically having a hard time fitting through the hole in the clip cleanly? Is that a problem or is it ok as long as it touches the clip?

·
Registered
16,944 Posts
If you really want to bi-wire, you take the plate out, otherwise you are not bi-wiring, you are just using twice the wire. Which, btw, is what many would say you are doing anyway when you bi-wire.

If you want to bi-amp you MUST take the plate out else you will cause some damage!

·
Registered
16,944 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by duvetyne /forum/post/15566329

true, since you're just moving the jumper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles /forum/post/15566416

If all you're doing is biwiring, it makes no difference either way.

If he wants to bi-wire, let him.

·
Registered
16,944 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher /forum/post/15566425

What about the banana clip thing

Not entirely clear what you are asking. Electrons do not know that the wire is crumpled. Of course you want as much as possible to contact the clip. What clips are you using? Are you twisting the wire before inserting it into the clip? How are you attaching the wire to the clip?

·
Registered
16,944 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by duvetyne /forum/post/15566527

Who is stopping him?

No one. But there are intimations. And there will probably be more. Which is why preemptively prepared him for "what many would say". And, yes, that may even include myself.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim /forum/post/15566513

Not entirely clear what you are asking. Electrons do not know that the wire is crumpled. Of course you want as much as possible to contact the clip. What clips are you using? Are you twisting the wire before inserting it into the clip? How are you attaching the wire to the clip?

Using radio-shak gold coated because its the only one I could find that even sort-of fit 2x12g. I am using the rear holed ones and putting as much as I can through the hole then bending it over and screwing the top back on.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Really i just want to use more copper wire and i accomplished it by running 2 12g wires to each negative and positive for a total of 4 to each speaker.

·
Registered
635 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher /forum/post/15566744

Using radio-shak gold coated because its the only one I could find that even sort-of fit 2x12g. I am using the rear holed ones and putting as much as I can through the hole then bending it over and screwing the top back on.

It would probably look nicer if you spliced a bit back from the connector and ran one 12g wire into it. Going back to 12g for an inch or so won't effect what you're doing. Heat shrink everything, of course.

Or, lots of places sell plugs that accept thicker gauge wire. The ones that say up to 8g should have no problem with 2 12g wires. Parts Express has a couple different kinds fairly cheap.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I could not find any wow... ill look.

I dont care how it looks because it will be behind the receiever. But am only worried about performance. A decent portion fits through but a good amount is pushed back but it all remains within the clip as a whole just not in the hole where it should be.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts