AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a self powered subwoofer and I always keep forgetting to turn it off,

is this normal when you leave it on 24/7? I know you people probably answered

most of this type of questions, but search really isn't working for me right now.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Which one is it??

·
Registered
3,652 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by like.no.other. /forum/post/0

Which one is it??

They're usually powered subs. Any equipment that turns on when it detects a signal.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
All the subwoofers I have are on AUTO ON.But leaving a sub constantly on should be fine if the interconnect from the pre/pro to your sub(s) does not pick up any parasitic information. If there is any hum,any noise set it to auto on.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is no Auto ON. There is a button and the choices are ON and OFF.

It's a powered subwoofer and it's connected via RCA plugs, not wires.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Is your sub amplifier class D or class AB? Easy to tell by looking at the back; if there is a heatsink it is likely AB, no heat sink and you got a class D. Leaving an AB amplifier on will draw some power even at idle but only a few watts. Leaving a class D amplifier on will draw next to nothing. This is only a consideration if you're concerned about electric usage though; it won't hurt the amplifier.

I leave mine on all the time with no problems. If you're not comfortable with this, shut it off.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts

Quote:
Is your sub amplifier class D or class AB? Easy to tell by looking at the back; if there is a heatsink it is likely AB, no heat sink and you got a class D. Leaving an AB amplifier on will draw some power even at idle but only a few watts. Leaving a class D amplifier on will draw next to nothing. This is only a consideration if you're concerned about electric usage though; it won't hurt the amplifier.

bryan,

Thank you for an excellent post.

Tim

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got a Tannoy TS8 and always leave i on 'Auto On'.. work perfect... love it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.