AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Long time reader first time poster

I'm pulling my hair out trying to make a decision on a back lit LED 55" TV. I had convinced myself to get the Visio VF552XVT which was just released but I don't want to make a poor choice so I'd like to lean on your collective experience. I'll thro out a few that I'm looking at, or please suggest away.

Samsung UN55B8000 [Not back lit I know]

Toshiba REGZA Cinema Series 55SV670U

LG 55LH90

Sony BRAVIA XBR Series KDL-52XBR9

I do realize I'm in a LCD forum but a 55 or larger plasma is also something that has crossed my mind.

I thank you for your patience with my questions and appreciate your collective knowledge!

·
Registered
323 Posts
I am quite sure you will not get a consensus answer Kris. Most people are going to recommend what they own, which is understandable. I would recommend waiting a month or two (if you can) as new models are coming out. I would also urge you to consider adding Vizio to your list as their new models seem impressive. I was pretty dead set on getting the samsung 8500, but after reading a lot about the Vizio's that are coming in August, I have decided to wait.

·
Registered
58 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by henbone11 /forum/post/18145884

I am quite sure you will not get a consensus answer Kris. Most people are going to recommend what they own, which is understandable. I would recommend waiting a month or two (if you can) as new models are coming out. I would also urge you to consider adding Vizio to your list as their new models seem impressive. I was pretty dead set on getting the samsung 8500, but after reading a lot about the Vizio's that are coming in August, I have decided to wait.

Vizio huh? Worst manufacturers warranties, $0 spent on R&D and terrible repair history...give me a break...buy yourself the lh90, its by far the best of the bunch

·
Registered
3,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by henbone11 /forum/post/18145884

I'm thinking exactly as you are. I'm not usually one to purchase "entry level" or "low cost" electronics, but after following positive articles and reviews on Vizio, I may wait until this August as well.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Go for Tosh SV6x

·
Registered
3,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyjpsc /forum/post/18145900

Vizio huh? Worst manufacturers warranties, $0 spent on R&D and terrible repair history...give me a break...buy yourself the lh90, its by far the best of the bunch

Sorry, but what is R&D? I was just reading about Vizio's positive approach towards service...specifically in home service, so I'm not sure where you're getting your info....perhaps you could post where you are getting this info from.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyjpsc /forum/post/18145993

I don't own one...I sell them all...backlit led is better than anything edgelit and vizio products are complete garbage...lg by default
"I sell them all"....."Vizio products are complete garbage"

Upper management will no doubt be proud of you.

·
Registered
323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codename_Falcon /forum/post/18146294

Go with the Toshiba 55SV670U.

It has more dimming zones than the Vizio. The issues it had have been resolved with the latest firmware.

I know the Toshiba will have 512 zones, but the 72" Vizio has 480 zones. Either way, I think they will both have great pq. This thread boils down to personal preference. It would be best for the OP to see them in person and make the decision based on what looks best to them. This is just like all the other "which tv should I get?" threads. 100 different answers. Ultimately, what looks best to you is all that matters.

Somebody mentioned how crap Vizio is, but the BBB ranks Vizio higher than Samsung and LG for reliability. And, based on the new sets coming in August, id say that the Vizio R&D isnt that shabby. So you have to take people's input with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I would say none of the above. Wait for the newest gen. of panels (announced in CES2010) from LG moreso than Samsung too.

The LH90 and Toshiba 670u have fantastic PQ, if you like looking at a hunkering garbage bezels (don't get me started on the LH90 bezel... ugh), be my guest!

Myself.. waiting for the LG Electronics LE9500 or LE8500 may be in a more suitable price range. Can't stomach the uber-thin Samsung panels that were announced... they don't have enough panels with local dimming to satisfy my appetite, not to mention thicker bezels. Samsung, what the heck were you thinking?

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
If you must have a TV today and you want one of the highest rated sets from last year, go to Amazon and search for the Samsung 55" 8500. It's on sale at a great price.

Also, every manufacturer has it's detractors, and everyone has their brand preferences, but I would not throw out Vizio as an option esepcially if money is tight. The 552 has replaced the 551 (google for reviews) and appears to be a great value for the money. It is not perfect.....but no sets are. Reviews are for the most part positive. I would buy one at Costco if possible because they give you a 90 day return window and an extra year warranty.

If you have patience and can wait, this summer should reveal the Vizio PRO series of TV's including a 55" model with an msrp of $2,499 that will be thinner, have better looks, and more importantly, 120 LED zones as oppossed to the 552 which has 80.

Samsung will also have new sets as well as Sony.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyjpsc /forum/post/18145900

"...terrible repair history..."

You have no idea what you are talking about.

Surveys completed by 118,700 LCD owners shows that Vizio has a 3% repair rate, from 2006 through mid-2009. This is the same as Samsung.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'd like to thank you all for helping. I do realize from being a poster on different BBoards that the info here is subjective and "which should I buy" threads proly annoy the hardcore, but its a tough decision and I appreciate all the help I can get

The new Viz 55 is the one that I was most interested in tbh. I just sat on the decision till they were out of stock. Mine went from arriving Thursday, to 3-4 weeks.

It sorta prompted me to dig a bit deeper into what I'm getting.

-8500 was my pick but I'm only allowed to spend $2k by my supervisor, she's a mean 120lbs.

-My need is pretty pressing as my Sony lcd projection has the blue blob disease.

-So one common theme is that local dimming is the way to go. LG seems to get a lot of votes.

Thanks for all your input guys/gals!

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
If you need to buy now and you can afford it go with the Sammy 8500 series. (I see you can't go this route.) If money is tight and you don't mind the bezel, get the LG 55LH90. As LED-LCDs go, this is the ticket right now even with the bezel. It has a fully open SM including CMS, great black levels for an LCD and more than decent off-axis viewing in wide rooms. I was strongly considering the Sammy 7100 for the price as well as the 8000 but this set is even better and less expensive. I'm a plasma guy and for me, PQ is everything. A sleek bezel would be nice but if the set can't give the best PQ for the money what good is the bezel?

As to plaz choices I would go with Sammy over Panny purely over the changing black level issue. Sammy has the color accuracy and if you don't get a buzzer you'll be set.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
Probably the Sammy PN58B650. Can get it delivered for well under $2K and it rocks as long as it doesn't buzz. If getting a Panny with changing Blacks isn't a great concern, then likely the S series. Pick a size for that money! The Vs were king and still are if the Black level issue doesn't bite you in the *ss.

Back to LED, if you don't mind dropping down to 46" (I would
), you can grab the Sammy 46B8500 for your stated budget.

Go here and check out calibrator Chad B's reviews on various sets and tech:

http://hdtvbychadb.com/reviews.htm

·
Registered
Epson 5050UB; 106" Da Lite HD Progressive 1.3 Screen; Denon 4700H AVR; Panasonic 820 Blu-ray Player
3,186 Posts
I own a Samsung LCD, a Vizio 551, an Olevia, a few off-brand (Visco) LCDs. Overall, I'm most impressed with the Vizio 551 for cost/benefit ratio. Excellent picture (although a little weak on shadow detail). I have no problem at all recommending the Vizio. In my opinion, it's the best 55" you can get for the price. If price is no factor, I'd probably go with the Samsung 8500 series.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.