AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide if I should trade in my new 1080p PX2370 Samsung PC monitor for an led or lcd HDTV. I have some questions, though, if anybody's kind enough to help me out. My usage is purely video (xbox 360 and movies/sports)--no pc text or photography work.

1) Xbox 360 renders at 720p if I'm not mistaken. Is there a disadvantage to using a 1080p monitor in that case--jaggies, etc?

2) Do HDTVS contain video processing chips that make video look a lot better compared to a designated pc monitor? Or is the difference negligible?

3) Are the speakers, tv tuner, and extra connections, absorbed into the cost of an HTDV--meaning: can you get a higher quality picture with a monitor at the same price, since no expense is made for any of those things?

Anyway, just wondering if it's wise to trade this thing in for an HDTV in the same or slightly higher price range. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts

Quote:
1) Xbox 360 renders at 720p if I'm not mistaken. Is there a disadvantage to using a 1080p monitor in that case--jaggies, etc?

It can be set to 1080, but if you are running in 720 with a 1080 monitor, you wont have any problems. It wont look as good as you are only getting half the resolution, but the tv will just upconvert to 1080.

Quote:
2) Do HDTVS contain video processing chips that make video look a lot better compared to a designated pc monitor? Or is the difference negligible?

Yes they normally do, and monitors normally dont. Are they worth the extra money? It depends, my tv has a bunch of extra settings and crap, I always have all those turned off anyway. the only thing I mess with is the contrast, brightness, and color balance.

Quote:
3) Are the speakers, tv tuner, and extra connections, absorbed into the cost of an HTDV--meaning: can you get a higher quality picture with a monitor at the same price, since no expense is made for any of those things?

Not necessarily. If you are comparing the same manufacturer with an hdtv and a monitor, they will likely use the same panel anyway.

The big question you need to ask yourself is, do you really need a tuner and the extra inputs? I personally never use my tuner, as I have a cable box connected with hdmi. If you dont need the extra inputs,save some money and go with a monitor.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.