AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LED car headlight already prototyped, and showing great results.

Why I have not heard anyone is working on LED projector lamps?

They are stable, color pure, durable, IMO very suitable for projector application. How soon?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsuken
LED projectors are in the works or maybe even already around for all I know.

Here is one example -
OMG the projector is only 0.99lbs and can be battery operated! 250 Lux though. I will carry one in my pocket when its out.

Thanks!

Mitsubishi PocketProjectorâ„¢ LED DLPâ„¢ Projector

Target Availability:

Widely available in the fourth quarter of 2005

Brightness: Approximately 250 LUX

Resolution: SVGA (800 x 600)

Weight: 0.99 lbs

Download Projector Specifications (PDF)

Unbeatable convenience through extreme portability in both size and weight

Long life-lamp, with quick-on, quick-off, no warm up period

A projector at practically the cost of less than two regular projector lamp

Can be battery operated

Suggested Applications:

Digital camera display magnification

Retail signage for show window messaging at night

Government or military on-site training

Camping video; Mobile video in cars, trucks or vans

Theater or club signage displays

Gaming video

·
Registered
52 Posts
Interestingly from the description, the lamp is 3 LEDs, one each for Red, Green, and Blue. The implication of 3 different color light sources is that there is no color wheel needed. Pretty neat, but even without a color wheel, it's still a single chip DLP so the colors are still being cycled leading to the usual RBE.

Couple questions come to mind.

IF the LEDs are being cycled on and off in order to cycle the colors, what is the ramp up/down time of these LEDs. What would this work would this work out to in color wheel speed lingo 1X, 2X, 3x?

Looking at the advertised light output, something like 250 Lux, keep in mind that that is for a single LED since only 1 of the 3 is on at any given time. Looking through LumiLEDS product specs on their sight, I didn't notice anything other than maybe the Red/Orange LEDs capable of that output, let alone Blue. But I could be mising something. So I have to wonder if the advertising isn't just adding up the combined output of all 3 LEDs.

On a side note, I wonder why Agilent decided to dump their stake in LumiLEDs last week. LEDs seem like a hot market to me, but then again, what do I know about these things.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I was thinking about this a couple months ago.

I read physorg a lot and a couple months ago they mentioned some super bright LEDs, and today they had news about GE making "Ideal" Carbon Nanotube Diodes which could enhance the functionality of LED's as well.

I read about the pocket projector on gizmag a while back as well, and I believe they said the price would be around 600-800$

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
There was another thread that discussed these LED PJs (it died of old age - it may still be lurking around here someplace). First, these PJs are only designed to be useable on a 40" to 50" screen maximum (and will give a dim picture at that). Second, the discussion determined that the LEDs that are used for headlights are multiple LEDS (in order to get the brightness up). You can buy a 30W equivalent LED lamp that uses around 15 white LEDs for around $25-$35. For PJ use, you need as close to a point source as possible and one that is capable of an output equivalent of a 250W halogen arc lamp.

As Tetsuken observed, it is difficult to get equal power out of Red, Green, and Blue LEDS. Then you have to get the output way up to make it useable for PJ. For a projected price that is almost in the 4805 category, its only of novelty value. The link he provided said that the projected price was $799.

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
Like others have pointed out LED projectors for small screen are already almost here, there are two three models that were announced at CED. But if you want a projector for a big screen HT, they are no where near ready. Like Clause, said, a projector needs a steady strong light, and realistically the best and possibly only way to get that is with a single LED, like the previously mentioned projectors(I know, there are 3 but they are not working as one light source). The thing is for flash lights, car lights the light can be from multiple threads, it does not work well for projectors.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
LED lamps for projectors that can manage a reasonably bright image on a 80-100" screen? The answer is around 5-10 years from now. This from people who actually are working on these things.

The mini-Mitsubishi and it's brethren need to be at least 5-6x brighter before they'll work in this application (and, really, 10x brighter would be much closer to getting there). If you look back at the historical development curves for LEDs, you'll understand why it'll take this long.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.