AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the physical differences, how they work, etc.

Whats the result of these changes? LED LCD's boast higher contrast ratios, but does this technology either eliminate or reduce flashlights and clouding?

Also, how does the LED LCD technology aid against input (specifically, game) lag when playing ps3 games.

To summarize, I am basically about to buy a TV (either a Samsung LN46a650 or LN46a850), but my reservations include fear of bad clouding and bad game lag when playing video games. I realize I shouldnt be too afraid, as I can always exchange the TV if clouding is bad, and settings can be manipulated in effort to reduce lag, but I'd still perfer these issues to not exist altogether...

Is it worth waiting for these new technologies to cure those things I am afraid of (clouding, lag).

If these technologies don't fix these problems, and only slightly improve PQ, i'll probably just purchase (one of the above regular LCD's) now.

thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump this....

this is a huge factor on whether I buy now, or buy later on... please post if you have any insight.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
LED should be less susceptible to flashlighting or clouding issues due to it not using fluorescent as the lighting source.

Saying that, I've got the 630 that has no flighting, clouding issues nor have I noticed any lag while gaming and black levels are amazing. Much better than I thought they could be by my research. I run the backlight on 5 most of the and the brightness is on 50 and most say that's way to high but I can have the room completely dark and not notice bars at all. I have to turn the backlight up to 7 and crank the brightness up to about 75 before the black bars change to slighter shade of black.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jake - What are those bars you speak of? I can only guess they are the bars justifying the picture to widescreen format? Those wouldn't be present in blu rays or ps3 games, however. Am I mistaken here?

Omelet - I am asking about new models that do not currently have owners threads, so thats why the separate post. I have read lag and clouding issues in the 650/750/850 owners threads, but I was mainly concerned with the newer models (yet to be released) in this thread.

Anyone else have input?

·
Registered
735 Posts
The light source in the back of the set will have no effect on the non-uniformity issues on the front. If the LEDs are being used with the area brightness control (not all LEDs use this), then it may hide normal non-uniformities. Uneveness in the image is not caused by the backlight of any technology.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
The 650/750/850 AND 950 (LED) all have ~ the same amount of lag apparently. If anything, LED just adds MORE processing steps (scanning backlight, LD algorithm) that could potentially make it even worse (pure conjecture on my part). You were talking about waiting for new models, so I'm going to assume you're referring to the Samsung Luxia's (6000/7000/8000). Those are NOT local dimming LED displays, they are a global light source much like traditional CCFLs. Contrast and black level improvements are expected to be minimal over CCFLs--save for using newer/better panels and having more gradations in global dimming schemes. '09 Local dimming LED's from Samsung (and Sony) have not been announced, but they're expected late Summer - early Fall. LG, Toshiba, and Vizio have announced a few local dimming LED models for Q1/Q2.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
The only difference is that LED displays don't have non uniformities caused by the CCFL backlight, they are every bit as susceptable to mura, flashlighting, and other effects caused by uneven liquid crystal layers and poor manufacturing.

Dimmable backlights will conceil any unevenness that is there, but that could mean you don't notice you've been sold a bung TV until after your return window has past.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
excellent posts Orta and Carled...

I was referring to those specific models, but I see now that my worries of lag will not go away.

I am heavily leaning towards purchasing either a ln46a650 or an 850 in hopes of being able to alter settings that in the end, virtually eliminate game lag.

More posts are appreciated!

·
Registered
1,603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opto151 /forum/post/15597886

excellent posts Orta and Carled...

I was referring to those specific models, but I see now that my worries of lag will not go away.

I am heavily leaning towards purchasing either a ln46a650 or an 850 in hopes of being able to alter settings that in the end, virtually eliminate game lag.

More posts are appreciated!

It's so close, I would still hold out for the new models. Not for the LED, but because there's a solid chance they'll end up improving the lag issue. All the like-featured '09 models (even the lowly B-series CCFL's) will probably be improvements over the current A650/750/850 (i.e. AMP, contrast, etc). The Luxia's will also be great choices if they're priced reasonably, just not quite up to LD standards.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
to avoid wading through the CES threads, do we have a guess as to when the luxia models will be released?

what about a general release for other new models from other brands?

·
Registered
1,603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opto151 /forum/post/15599862

to avoid wading through the CES threads, do we have a guess as to when the luxia models will be released?

March/April are when the first batch of '09's should hit from a variety of manufacturers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I own a 46XBR8 with LEDs.

Dynamic LED processing reduces clouding to barely noticeable levels. With dynamic LED off, clouding is on par with other LCDs.

Dynamic LED processing adds some input lag (I have no idea how much though) and is totally deactivated when game mode is engaged.

If you plan on gaming heavily I suggest you consider the 240Hz XBR9 which will be more suited to your needs.

If your main concern is PQ then LED backlit LCD is a huge step forward and to my opinion is among the best PQ you can get from any display today. I, for one, find it superior to plasma. Only high end LCoS projectors do better. As for the lag it is still playable with Dynamic LED processing engaged.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opto151 /forum/post/15599862

New from Samsung for 2009

Samsung LNB8000 Series

The LNB8000 is the top of the line LCD series from Samsung at this year's Consumer Electronics Show. These 2 LCDs feature 240Hz refresh rates, LED backlighting, internet connectivity and anti-glare screens in a nearly 1" deep frame.

Samsung LN55B8000, Samsung LN46B8000

Samsung LNB7000 Series

Stepping down from the LNB8000 series is the LNB7000 these 3 models offer most of the same features as the 8000's but feature a 120Hz refresh rate instead of 240Hz.

Samsung LN55B7000, Samsung LN46B7000, Samsung LN40B7000

Samsung LNB6000 Series

The LNB6000 series from Samsung is their new "Eco-Friendly" line of LCDs. Samsung claims that these televisions are more than 40% more energy efficient than other LCDs in their category.

Samsung LN55B6000, Samsung LN46B6000, Samsung LN40B6000

Samsung LNB750 Series

The LNB750 Series is a CFL backlit series of 1080p, 240Hz LCDs with built in ehternet access to Samsung's [email protected]

Samsung LN52B750, Samsung LN46B750, Samsung LN40B750

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
stop! the Samsung 81f has 800 line in motion.

I had a sharp 46in 64 4ms and it showed 400 lines in motion.

the best is plasma at 900 lines in motion and I believe the samsung 950 can match that.

I sold my sharp after I got the 81f. I stopped watching the sharp because the samsung was that good with motion.
LED is the one to buy!

·
Registered
29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6athome /forum/post/16008143

LED is the one to buy!

this is my opinion too. i have both types of LCD tvs and honestly ever since i bought my 950 four months ago i have yet to turn on my 32" Sharp LCD that is now in the bedroom.

·
Registered
5 Posts
LCD vs. LED by all means they are totally different from each other; where as LCD TV uses liquid crystal technology and its counterpart uses light emitting Diode technology of picture rendering. LCD televisions produce by the means of filtrating white light; where as its corresponding LED uses electric charges to induce liquid crystals which in turn hold back the lights to render black depiction. That results in more stimulation:

Samsung LED UN40B6000 shown in image

·
Registered
18 Posts
Led Screen Advantage

- the screen will use less power, and thus your battery life will be a bit longer

- the screen has a much more even and consistent lighting

- the led screen is thinner, and thus lighter than a standard lcd screen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just want to start off that I'm a happy LN46A750 owner. My friend wanted to get a TV that looked as good as mine and bought a 6000 series. After about a week the TV had major back light clouding issues on dark scenes of movies. Took back to ultimate and bought same TV from BB. Set from ultimate had SQO2 panel, set from BB has SQO1 panel. After viewing new set starting to notice same uneven back lighting cloudiness issues just not as bad but my friend who actually owns it says pic is not as clear as first TV. Just wondering if anybody else is having this issue. I'm now recommending my friend just buy the same TV as mine because it's cheaper and looks better anyway. He's thinking maybe SONY or TOSHIBA (although I believe sammy and toshiba panels are made at the same plant and same specs). Any comments welcome.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by surentechy /forum/post/16348503

LCD vs. LED … by all means they are totally different from each other; where as LCD TV uses liquid crystal technology and its counterpart uses light emitting Diode technology of picture rendering. LCD televisions produce by the means of filtrating white light; where as its corresponding LED uses electric charges to induce liquid crystals which in turn hold back the lights to render black depiction. That results in more stimulation:

Samsung LED UN40B6000 shown in image

no this is all wrong when referring to the LED designation for these sets. they are talking about LCD displays with LED backlighting. in the case of samsung's LED luxia line, these are LCD displays with LED backlighting which is edge mounted, variously called edge lighting or edge-lit. samsung is confusing the waters with their LED designation to artificially create a whole new category. LED is the light source for the LCDs.

you may wish to see the www.cnet.com reviews for a recent review of the samsung B7000 luxia.

Mumbai ? now that's a few miles away.... welcome.

TVbc

1 - 20 of 37 Posts