AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's time to add a new TV for the kid's game room. We love our Panny TH50PZ-77U in the family room. Used mainly for watching sports, movies and gaming on the PS3/XBOX. Will the LED compare favorably to the plasma? What are the best choices in the ~50in for ~$1000. range.

·
Registered
926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekana /forum/post/19506164

It's time to add a new TV for the kid's game room. We love our Panny TH50PZ-77U in the family room. Used mainly for watching sports, movies and gaming on the PS3/XBOX. Will the LED compare favorably to the plasma? What are the best choices in the ~50in for ~$1000. range.

honestly there are so many threads covering this topic already and so many different opinions the best advice is to go to the stores, narrow down your choices and then get the remote in hand and make adjustments and see what you like best. Try and see them in various environments if possible also. Good luck but you should choose the set, not the forum.

PS- use the search function to help you get a list of a few sets to qualify for your needs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I purchased the plasma based on all the great info found on this forum 3 years ago and never regretted the decision for one minute. At that time you paid a premium for plasma and LCD wasn't really available in that size anyway.

For my eyes plasma has always appeared far superior with sports and gaming being 2 primary uses.

Now plasma prices have plumeted and LED is being touted as the answer to many of the limitations I saw in LCD.

Are there LED displays that eliminate the lag and fuzziness I always seemed to notice in LCDs?

·
Registered
926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekana /forum/post/19507838

I purchased the plasma based on all the great info found on this forum 3 years ago and never regretted the decision for one minute. At that time you paid a premium for plasma and LCD wasn't really available in that size anyway.

For my eyes plasma has always appeared far superior with sports and gaming being 2 primary uses.

Now plasma prices have plumeted and LED is being touted as the answer to many of the limitations I saw in LCD.

Are there LED displays that eliminate the lag and fuzziness I always seemed to notice in LCDs?

and like I mentioned, this forum is already full of the information you need. Just do a little digging as I would be a rich man if I had a nickel for every "help me decide post".

·
Registered
397 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekana /forum/post/19507838

LED tvs (which are really LCDs with different backlighting) have definitely improved things for LCD. However, many people very much feel that plasma has the upper hand in regards to motion resolution (which is important for your stated sports and gaming needs), black levels, and viewing angles. Many feel that the current LCD enhancements/improvement like local-dimming LEDs/120/240hz technology/etc are simply measures to help LCD catch up to plasma's inhernetly superior black levels and motion resolution. OTOH, LCD/LED tvs can definitely get brighter than plasma and this can be important if your room is exceedingly bright (though the plasma camp will argue that plasmas are bright enough for any reasonable light level). LCD/LED tvs are generally also thought to handle reflections better than plasma though some of the glossy screens on the newer LED models seem to diminish that advantage. Bottom line is that if your current plasma is meeting your needs, then you should definitely go with another plasma tv as plasma technology has only improved since you bought your 77U (if you think your 77U looks great, just wait until you see how good the picture is on any modern plasma once its setup in your home). In my opinion, plasma tvs are truly one of the best values out there. They produce what I and many others believe to be superior images to LCD and cost substantially less. Of course, this is just my opinion and not everyone will agree with it but if you appreciate the picture qualities that your current plasma brings to the table, then you should definitely go with another plasma as the picture will only be improved over what you have now. LCD/LEDs can produce good images as well, they are just different than the kind produced by plasma and from what you have stated you value in a tv, it sounds like the kind of image produced by LCD/LED will not match your preferences.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Marty

It is truly a joy to read a post like yours that is thoughtful and well written. Sad to say that is often the exception when discussing LCD vs. Plasma.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
@David, if only he'd found the enter key a few more times, the post would be read more often.

·
Registered
397 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfreeman60 /forum/post/19509821

Marty

It is truly a joy to read a post like yours that is thoughtful and well written. Sad to say that is often the exception when discussing LCD vs. Plasma.

Thanks David! Glad you enjoyed reading the post.

Cheers,

Marty

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Marty, thanks for them clarity of your reply. Spent part of my day reading through the forums and came to the same conclusion I did 3 years ago, it's gotta be plasma for me.

Now that I've reached that conclusion it again becomes a question of which one? Do I need to fear the Panny 50G25 based on some of the recent questions about black levels? Are there any Samsungs that compare without adding the expense of 3D support?

·
Registered
397 Posts
If you can, I would wait until this Spring when the new models come out. Who knows what new features/improvements will be added to the new sets and if nothing else, prices on current models should take a nice drop.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can't wait. Promised my son the 77U was moving to the game room no later than Black Friday. Been holding him off for 3 months and I'm out of reasons.

Now it's a question of which brand. Appears that TC-P50G25, PN50C6500 and the LG 50PK950.

Any recommendations

·
Registered
958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty1781
If you can, I would wait until this Spring when the new models come out. Who knows what new features/improvements will be added to the new sets and if nothing else, prices on current models should take a nice drop.
I'm hoping Panasonic will finally eliminate afterglow in their PDPs!!!
I can hope, can't I?!

To the OP, my pick of the three would be the G25.

·
Registered
284 Posts
The plasma vs LCD/LED thing has been beaten to death here. Trust your eyes, choose what they like best. My only advice is to pay attention to viewing angles. Plasma contrast levels do not change no matter what angle you watch it from. The same cannot be said for LCD.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
+1

1 - 16 of 16 Posts