AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, just joined avsforums. I recently purchased a Panasonic 60ps34 60" plasma tv from Costco. It's been about a week into it and I have been breaking in the first 100 hrs with some slides that I got online.

I have been thinking about if I really made the right choice. I was checking out the Samsung 55d6050 which they also have at the costco nearby, and I have been really considering exchanging the panasonic for the Samsung LED 240hz.

My biggest worry is that the panasonic will eventually be much darker than it already is (it's very dark compared to LED tvs) and also the fact that plasma are more prone to burn in. I will be gaming a lot on the system and most of the time I get stuck on one game and will play it for long periods of time. Can I get some advice from people who have a plasma or LED on what I should do? Not sure if I should just exchange the Panasonic out for the Samsung un55d6050 at this point...

·
Registered
1,189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarkisv /forum/post/20873110

Hey everyone, just joined avsforums. I recently purchased a Panasonic 60ps34 60" plasma tv from Costco. It's been about a week into it and I have been breaking in the first 100 hrs with some slides that I got online.

I have been thinking about if I really made the right choice. I was checking out the Samsung 55d6050 which they also have at the costco nearby, and I have been really considering exchanging the panasonic for the Samsung LED 240hz.

My biggest worry is that the panasonic will eventually be much darker than it already is (it's very dark compared to LED tvs) and also the fact that plasma are more prone to burn in. I will be gaming a lot on the system and most of the time I get stuck on one game and will play it for long periods of time. Can I get some advice from people who have a plasma or LED on what I should do? Not sure if I should just exchange the Panasonic out for the Samsung un55d6050 at this point...

I would go with the UN55D6050, as long as you don't mind the viewing angles. If your concerned about light output like you mentioned above, that Samsung can get plenty bright, and it looks stunning with video games.

It has a ton of tweaks and options that make video games looks very very impressive.

I used to game on a Panasonic plasma and it was also too dim for me, graphics just didn't pop. I replaced the set with the UN55D6050.

The 6050 also has a very accurate movie mode, with accurate colors, D65 white point, and grayscale tracking.

If you can deal with the limited viewing angles and minor flash lighting in the corners, the 6050 is a much better set.

The S30/S34 is a rather dull set IMO. The higher end models from Panasonic are better, but the mid-range sets always seem to fall short from them.

Here is a review on the non-costco/BJs version of the 6050 (the 6000):

http://www.hometheater.com/content/s...0-led-lcd-hdtv

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One of the issues is the placement of my TV in my current living room, it is right next to the only window which is open during the day for natural light. I have been using the Panasonic for a bit now and I do notice it is too dark for my liking. I think I will go with the Samsung 55d6050. The only thing I was confused about is the fact that some places list this TV at 120hz and Costco (where I will be purchasing it) has it at 240hz? Is it not true 240hz or something? Possibly the older model was a 120hz and they have not updated the picture since it is pretty much the same chassis?

·
Registered
5,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarkisv /forum/post/20874439

Ok apparently it has 240hz clear motion rate. What the heck is that? Is this panasonic s30 I have going to end up being better for Blu ray and games???

240hz clear motion rate means it's a 120hz set that strobes the backlight twice per frame.

Just wondering--did you try turning up the contrast setting on the Panasonic to get it a bit brighter?

If your gaming includes a lot of first person shooters you should be aware that Samsung LEDs have a lot of processing lag.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S /forum/post/20874531

240hz clear motion rate means it's a 120hz set that strobes the backlight twice per frame.

Just wondering--did you try turning up the contrast setting on the Panasonic to get it a bit brighter?

If your gaming includes a lot of first person shooters you should be aware that Samsung LEDs have a lot of processing lag.

Good point. The panasonic does look good when I raise the contrast past the standard 50 setting. I may end up sticking with this as all I'm going to be doing is watching football, Blu rays, and mostly first person shooters. Can't go wrong with the 1099$ I paid for it. The samsung is 1499$. Quite a bit difference in price. My other question would be then should I opt for a gt30 for around the samsungs price? I have the 60ps34 which is equiv to the s30. Is the t series specifically the st or gt that much better in quality? I feel like this panasonic is the best bang for the buck. Specially a 60 inch.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarkisv
Good point. The panasonic does look good when I raise the contrast past the standard 50 setting. I may end up sticking with this as all I'm going to be doing is watching football, Blu rays, and mostly first person shooters. Can't go wrong with the 1099$ I paid for it. The samsung is 1499$. Quite a bit difference in price. My other question would be then should I opt for a gt30 for around the samsungs price? I have the 60ps34 which is equiv to the s30. Is the t series specifically the st or gt that much better in quality? I feel like this panasonic is the best bang for the buck. Specially a 60 inch.
The St is a nice upgrade with better overall video processing and short throw phosphors. I recommend you post this in the plasma forum so that you can more responses.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Plasmas do not have the Burn In issue that they used to...maybe a little Image retension, but not bad (unless you buy a cheap plasma). The ONLY TWO reasons to get an LCD are:

PRICE (at larger sizes some decent LCDs are cheaper than plasmas)

OR

If you like Motion Interpolation (creates brand new video frames and inserts them with the originals).

Otherwise... stick with your plasma!

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
^^^Only a select few see the plasma flicker, probably far fewer than could see the rainbow effect on dlps back in the day.

I'm sorry that your particular sensitivity makes Plasma impossible for you, but it doesn't for the majority of people so it's unfair for you to condemn the tech based on your particular situation.

Please don't take this as an attack. If I'm not mistaken you're in Australia where sets are 50hz rather than the 60 here in North America and that could easily be a contributing factor to your sensitivity.

My dad was in the USAF and hated being stationed in any country with 50hz house current--he could see light bulbs flickering at 50hz!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.