AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi sorry if I am new but I was looking at this projector:

cgi.ebay.com/LED-mini-projector-Home-Theater-HDMI-VGA-up-to-1080p_W0QQitemZ250595277878QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDoma in_0?hash=item3a58a47c36

Has anyone every tested one of these out? I was looking at LG HS201 but could not find any used ones for cheaper prices. (I'm a college student that cant afford a 500 projector.)

Any thoughts on it?

I was also wondering there is any difference with this one:

cgi.ebay.com/New-LED-home-theater-projector-VGA-HDMI-RGB-USB-SD_W0QQitemZ120534995927QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_ 2?hash=item1c107213d7

I only saw that the second one was 1200 lumens instead of 1000 lumens

I'm not a stickler about the the high end very fine details but something that can project a decent image for casual movies off the ipod or a game of modern warfare 2 for xbox. I have been using a cheap $140 mini LED projector and am getting tired of the screen door pixelation and the fact that night scenes in movies are just not possible with that thing in a dark room.

any feedback would greatly be appreciated! THANKS!

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Native resolution is 640x480

·
Registered
156 Posts
You will find most folks on this site will usually stay away from anything other than the big name brands for projectors. These are complex devices that need to give a lot of trouble free service to make them worth while. Ebay may be good for bargains in some areas, but I have not heard to many good stories that involve Ebay and low cost projectors. Also, for movie viewing most people will want realistic color and at least moderately high resolution. This looks like it may only have an SD 4x5 native resolution making it less desirable for movie viewing, and you did say you were tired of seeing pixels. My feeling is that if people on this site are not already reviewing a projector for home use, it might not be a very good fit.

There are some other LED projectors on this site that are getting some attention. They are a bit more money than these, but probably a better fit for your application. And, perhaps you can get a deal on one when the new models roll out. If I were you I would probably wait till I could afford a slightly better unit. But it is your money.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what is this native resolution? (sorry for such newbish question. never really paid attention to specs on video devices)

im dont really care about screen sizes and ratios. pretty much as long as it projects a decent clear image for basic stuff, ill be fine. it just needs to sit on my desk and shoots onto the walls of dorm room.

when i meant pixelation i meant the REALLY OBVIOUS BIG ONES. im a flexible guy and the fine pixels are fine.

the cheap one i have cant even really make out basic text from playing video games.

everyone has there own judging scales and mines arent that picky.

Any recommendation on places to get a LG HS-201 besides amazon? Maybe used?

thnx for all the help! willy

·
Registered
28 Posts
These made in China LED projectors are junk. The LED assemblies that you can read all about it in the LG forums are proven and are much more reliable then who knows what they you are getting from X brand.

Tho, the unit's are only 100 bucks more from amazon. LG is probably the brightest LED projector right now. Read up on the forums ... your in college do your research or you'll most certainly get burnt.

You've been warned.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ive been dremin of getting one but i cant find one for sale unless its on amazon. anywhere else i can get one from online? Ive been thinking about the LG hx300g but might get too expensive when it comes out. i was also thinking about waiting for the hx300g to come out and the people with hs201 would sell theirs. any idea when the hx300 comes out?

·
Registered
111 Posts
whuthefxk

The LG HS201 is being replaced by the LG Hx300, many people who have the HS201 say they will get the HX300 the moment they can and sell the HS201.

So hold on for a few months there will be many HS201s on the market (if this is the projector you want)

Hope it helps

Brent

·
Registered
14 Posts
Learn how to use craigslist. I'm also a poor college student (well, I'm a returning student so I'm probably better off) and for less then 1000 bucks originally I was able to put together a pretty decent HT back in the day. If you're looking at super cheap projectors, just try to find a used office one to get you through for your remaining years in college. Right now, you're asking for advice from a group of people who all have the same problem. We like to buy nice things! So the advice that you're going to get is going to be tooled in that direction.

Some basic info for you:

Native Resolution - It's the dimensions of the pixels. Your computer monitor has a native resolution. The larger the native resolution the better (typically).

Aspect Ratio - The general shape of the screen. 16x9 is the new standard. Movies are typically shot in 2:35 (please correct me if I'm wrong on that one someone with more knowledge). The older computer screens and TV's were 4:3. For your setup, probably any aspect ratio will do.

Lumens - The amount of light that the projector produces to push the image onto the wall. This number is going to be more relevant to you if you cannot control the lighting in your dorm room that easily.

Those are some basic facts to keep in mind as you search for a projector. The more info you can give, the more specific we can be in advice. My .02 is that if you can't do it right, then don't bother really, there will be plenty of time to have a cool theater once you graduate and get a job.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was just thinking of something to replace my old school non flat paneled TV instead of buying a flat panel HDTV since projectors are smaller and more portable.

any idea when the hx300 will be released?

thnx for the help you guys!

·
Registered
1,894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whuthefxk /forum/post/18318270

I was just thinking of something to replace my old school non flat paneled TV instead of buying a flat panel HDTV since projectors are smaller and more portable.

any idea when the hx300 will be released?

thnx for the help you guys!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The HX300G is scheduled for released on the 2nd Qt of this year, so hopefully it should be available for sale by next month or so...

On a side note, i'm so/so impressed with my HS201 that, like afineman posted, as soon as the HX300G is available i'll be purchasing one and selling my HS-201, just for those extra pixels and increased lumen output.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Marcos

·
Registered
4,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whuthefxk /forum/post/18311852

what is this native resolution? (sorry for such newbish question. never really paid attention to specs on video devices)

im dont really care about screen sizes and ratios. pretty much as long as it projects a decent clear image for basic stuff, ill be fine. it just needs to sit on my desk and shoots onto the walls of dorm room.

when i meant pixelation i meant the REALLY OBVIOUS BIG ONES. im a flexible guy and the fine pixels are fine.

the cheap one i have cant even really make out basic text from playing video games.

everyone has there own judging scales and mines arent that picky.

Any recommendation on places to get a LG HS-201 besides amazon? Maybe used?

thnx for all the help! willy

You complained about the picture quality of your current PJ and I'm sure it is 800x600, native resolution. Native resolution is the actual size/number of pixels high and wide that will display on your screen REGARDLESS of signal being input. The pj you asked about in your first post has a native resolution of 640x480 which is worse than what you have.

Find a used business pj for $100 to $200 for sale used somewhere and quit worrying about lamps. You don't have the money to buy an LED machine with adequate resolution as you noted you don't have $500 for a PJ.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whuthefxk /forum/post/18324888

i currently have this low quality pj

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mini-AV-LED-PORT...item56386255fc

i could get one at 500 but would prefer to pay less than that if possible since i do need to make sure i have enough money for textbooks

WOW!!! That only has a resolution of 480x240!!!

640x480 would look 100% better than that! That's a toy, not a projector!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yea.. i got it awhile back and i think its time to finally upgrade. At that time i just wanted something that worked, but now i want to get something that can possibly last me for several years instead of a TV.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Wow, I didn't even know resolution could be had that low!! Do you have any screen shots? I'm just curious to see how bad this looks....

BTW, like the others mentioned, wait for a decent used projector.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts