AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there such thing as burning out an LED on your LED TV? How can you tell as well? I got a UN55b8000 and sometimes it just feels like one led has burnt out or something, just wondering if this would be possible.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumstuf /forum/post/18137684

I'm not really knowledgeable on the topic, but for example, my Samsung LED tv is edge lit LED. Just like dead pixels going bad on you, can a led go bad then give off bad picture?

i already told ya, no.. that doesnt make sense, and you seem confused, LED doesnt have "LEDs" , it has Pixels just like a regular LCD and it might have dead pixels too, just like a regular LCD, but having a "dead led" doesnt make much sense, i never heared of such a problem around here..

Can u explain exactly what u mean? or post a picture?

The tv you have is an uneblivable tv, i doubt something is wrong with it

Could it be the soruce?

·
Registered
900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumstuf /forum/post/18137684

I'm not really knowledgeable on the topic, but for example, my Samsung LED tv is edge lit LED. Just like dead pixels going bad on you, can a led go bad then give off bad picture?

Yes, an LED can fail - like any other component. Yes, these LEDs are tested before delivery/installation but you may get a set that has a "bad egg". These failures are really really rare with new sets, though.

Yes, an LED failure will give you a "bad picture" but how this will look depends on several factors: Characteristics of the particular LED type (brightness, light cone), position of LEDs and type of backlight (edge-lit, direct-lit), amount of LEDs...

The construction of the backlight is perhaps the most important factor and we know that this model uses an edge-lit design. Here the LEDs are seated at the edge of the panel, pointing inwards behind the panel into light spreader films which distribute the light more or less evenly and direct it to hit the panel surface from the back.

These films are fixed and can only be damaged by brute force but an LED can fail so the light in a particular section will drop in brightness (the light of several LEDs is combined) resulting in a dark spot on the panel.

As I haven't seen the internals of this particular model I can only give you a rough explanation and there may be more to it: How large and how dark the affected panel area is.

You'd have to show us a photo to give you a better suggestion as to what the situation with your set may be.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny42 /forum/post/18138170

Yes, an LED can fail - like any other component. Yes, these LEDs are tested before delivery/installation but you may get a set that has a "bad egg". These failures are really really rare with new sets, though.

Yes, an LED failure will give you a "bad picture" but how this will look depends on several factors: Characteristics of the particular LED type (brightness, light cone), position of LEDs and type of backlight (edge-lit, direct-lit), amount of LEDs...

The construction of the backlight is perhaps the most important factor and we know that this model uses an edge-lit design. Here the LEDs are seated at the edge of the panel, pointing inwards behind the panel into light spreader films which distribute the light more or less evenly and direct it to hit the panel surface from the back.

These films are fixed and can only be damaged by brute force but an LED can fail so the light in a particular section will drop in brightness (the light of several LEDs is combined) resulting in a dark spot on the panel.

As I haven't seen the internals of this particular model I can only give you a rough explanation and there may be more to it: How large and how dark the affected panel area is.

You'd have to show us a photo to give you a better suggestion as to what the situation with your set may be.

Great now he is going to think he has a defective unit, when he probably doesnt
this is the first time i heared of someone havin such a problem here on avs..

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was calibrating my led tv then I switched from standard to movie while there was some high action video going on. So, when there was a lot of action on the television, I quickly switched from standard to movie mode and the television gave a little shutter (and a loud click noise). Now, the top right looks a little degraded. I'm not really sure if that is even the case but I am just worried if turning the picture mode from standard to movie while there was high action scenes on the television may have messed with my tv a bit. But the tv does look fine.

·
Registered
900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa /forum/post/18138679

Great now he is going to think he has a defective unit, when he probably doesnt
this is the first time i heared of someone havin such a problem here on avs..

As I wrote: It's very very rare for an LED to fail.

It's entirely possible that his set only suffers from an uneven backlight (not uncommon with edge-lit sets). Therefore the request for photos.

·
Registered
8,651 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumstuf /forum/post/18139049

I was calibrating my led tv then I switched from standard to movie while there was some high action video going on. So, when there was a lot of action on the television, I quickly switched from standard to movie mode and the television gave a little shutter (and a loud click noise). Now, the top right looks a little degraded. I'm not really sure if that is even the case but I am just worried if turning the picture mode from standard to movie while there was high action scenes on the television may have messed with my tv a bit. But the tv does look fine.

"Now the top right looks a little degraded."

"But the tv does look fine."

Which is it? Does the top right look a little degraded, or does the tv look fine?

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Samsung edge lit sets do have very slight dimness in the corners of the screen-visible only on white or very bright solid color images and even then you have to really look for the dim spots. The shudder and loud click noise sound abnormal, but as others have said you'd really need to post a picture for us to help.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
K, here are the pics. The right corner is very dark and stands out from the rest. As you can see the other corners have very bright picture, the top right is sort of dark. When you see this in person it is very apparent. It is like the led on all the other corners are working thus the bright picture and it pops at you, while the top right corner is very dark like the led went off. It just isn't even with the rest of the corners. Maybe it's not the LED?

These pics were taken from my hd box (1080i).

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Try to bring up a solid colored screen (preferably all white) and take a picture in the dark with the flash off on your camera. That should show if there is an issue. Although I haven't seen it happen before, I think it could be possible that one of the LED's aren't functioning causing that corner to be dim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa /forum/post/18137798

i already told ya, no.. that doesnt make sense, and you seem confused, LED doesnt have "LEDs" , it has Pixels just like a regular LCD and it might have dead pixels too, just like a regular LCD, but having a "dead led" doesnt make much sense, i never heared of such a problem around here..

Can u explain exactly what u mean? or post a picture?

The tv you have is an uneblivable tv, i doubt something is wrong with it

Could it be the soruce?

Although I haven't seen someone with this problem either, it does make sense... if there's no backlight, there's no picture period. With CCFL backlighting, there's a series of evenly spaced CCFL's... if one of the CCFL bulbs was burnt out, you would easily notice a dimness in that area. Same thing with LEDs... if one of the LEDs isn't functioing, there will be a dimness in that area. It won't be as noticeable because LEDs are so much smaller than a CCFL bulb.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Why not exchange it? Are you still in the return window of wherever you purchased it from? If not, have Sasmung replace the panel in the TV. There's no sense in fretting over this. If you are unhappy with it, get it resolved.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am still under warranty from Samsung. I took some pics at 75% and 100% white. The top right corner isn't even with the rest of the corners therefore I think it is a LED problem. The top right corner of the Samsung LED almost looks like I am watching my other Samsung LCD.

I attached two pictures and this .rar from Megaupload that has about 68 pics I took of the LED TV from the Spears & Munsil calibration blu-ray and AVC HD mp4. I used my ps3 to get the pics.

If there would be a need for a Samsung service man to come and replace the panel, would they just come in and remove the damaged led's then solder new ones back on? Replacing a whole panel just because of a few leds would be such a hassle. Also, I'm not sure if the risk of further damaging the LED TV would be worth it since accidents can happen when the service man is tinkering with my tv. So, let me know if it would be worth it to call Samsung and get a service man to come and fix it up.

Megaupload .rar http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XU3M9J4I

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
It's hard to tell from the pics but since you went to the trouble of taking pics at each corner is it a problem in each corner or it contained to the top right like you described because your particular display has a known issue of having dark spots in the very corners about the size of a dime.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
By my eye, the other corners aren't an issue. The top right corner just stands out from the rest because of the low light it gives off. I just took the pics of the other corners to compare them to the top right corner.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.