AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a huge question as I am trying to purchase a tv and have narrowed it down to a few models, but I just can not make the final decision.

Is LED better than LCD as far as picture quality goes? OR, does it just supply a smaller, lighter, and more energy efficient solution?

The models I cant decide between are:

- Sony KDL-46XBR9

- Samsung LN46B750

- Samsung UN46B7100

Also, is the 240Mhz really worth the tons of extra money than the 120? Every professional opinion I read says that its not cost effective.

Any help would be great regarding those three models. I REALLY like the way the Sony and Samsung LED looks, but I dislike the look of the Samsung LCD... although if its a better tv then I will learn to get over the looks.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as theres an open box at my local best buy priced to steal and I am hoping to make a decision by tonight.

Thanks!

· Registered
89 Posts
My perspective is that LED with local backlighting is better than LCD and approaches plasma in terms of black levels and contrast. Samsung produces two versions of LED, one with edge processing and the other with local backlighting. Only the version with local backlighting gives you the inky blacks and high contrast ratios approaching plasma. The problem with all LCD's vs plasmas is the off axis viewing angle which tends to wash out and lose contrast. Staying on axis, LED screens with local backlighting will cost more but produce high quality images with excellent contrast ratios when executed properly.

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree. LED local back lighting is amasing. The line of Samsung and Sony that does this (A series and XBR8) are way out of my price range though. So, it is primarily between the ...

LCD Sony XBR9 series

or

LED Samsung 7x series (Edge back lighting)

In this case would you say Sony produces the better tv, or are they so close ... given price is not an option, which one would you personaly choose? I love the idea of LED, but because its not local back lighting, I am leaning towards the Sony.

· Registered
1,675 Posts
Hate to be pedantic here but LCD and LED are not alternatives. They do different jobs. Liquid Crystal Display is the image generator, Light Emitting Diode is the light source. In any TV, You can have both, neither or either one.

· Registered
1,754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by askeptic /forum/post/16858501

Hello,

I have a huge question as I am trying to purchase a tv and have narrowed it down to a few models, but I just can not make the final decision.

Is LED better than LCD as far as picture quality goes? OR, does it just supply a smaller, lighter, and more energy efficient solution?

The models I cant decide between are:

- Sony KDL-46XBR9

- Samsung LN46B750

- Samsung UN46B7100

Also, is the 240Mhz really worth the tons of extra money than the 120? Every professional opinion I read says that its not cost effective.

Any help would be great regarding those three models. I REALLY like the way the Sony and Samsung LED looks, but I dislike the look of the Samsung LCD... although if its a better tv then I will learn to get over the looks.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as theres an open box at my local best buy priced to steal and I am hoping to make a decision by tonight.

Thanks!
Is LED better than LCD as far as picture quality goes?

to just set the basics down, because it seems you have been (intentionally) confused by samsung marketing.

all the sets you list are LCD. they just have different backlighting, which provide the light that shines through the LCDs bringing you the image.

the common backlighting has been CCFL Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamp with thin tubes behind the LCDs.

in 2008 sony (xbr8) and samsung (A950) introduced LED backlighting with arrays of hundreds of LEDs behind the LCDs, grouped together in zones that can be individually controlled, -- locally dimmed -- so that dark areas of the screen can be lit minimally, black areas lit not at all, and lighter areas lit to the correct level. ideally, with enough LEDs and enough zones, this provides the optimal backligting solution.

for the 2009 model year, samsung has done an all-out marketing blitz for their edge-mounted LED backlighting, which are the 6000 7000 and 8000 series. they named these LED sets as if they were inherently different than LCD sets, thus creating the confusion to their own marketing advantages.

that's the short course history just to se the record straight in this thread.

TVbc

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
davegow,

your exactly right. I do understand that its LED vs. BRAVIA XBR9-Series' WCG-CCFL in this situation ... I just do not know enough to choose one over the other.

I believe that Sony's BRAVIA XBR9-Series' WCG-CCFL is better than Samsung's edge backlight, but I just want to get others opinions before I purchase the Sony. I do know that local led back lighting is awesome on LCDs.

So basicaly it just brings my question to, which TV is better between those two. I know there not exactly apples to apples, I just do not want to make the wrong choice if the samsung edge led lighting series 7x is better as its only a little more. I just think that led when talking about edge lighting just brings me a thinner and greener tv, but not neccesarily a better picture...

If none of that makes sense, sorry I am a novice at this. With that said, if it were you which one of the two would you choose?

Sony KDL-46xbr9 WCG-CFL

Samsung UN46B7x LED

*If price was the same.

Thanks

· Registered
714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by askeptic /forum/post/16858970

I agree. LED local back lighting is amasing. The line of Samsung and Sony that does this (A series and XBR8) are way out of my price range though. So, it is primarily between the ...

LCD Sony XBR9 series

or

LED Samsung 7x series (Edge back lighting)

In this case would you say Sony produces the better tv, or are they so close ... given price is not an option, which one would you personaly choose? I love the idea of LED, but because its not local back lighting, I am leaning towards the Sony.

The XBR9 is CCFL backlit & the B7100 is edge-lit with problems. In your price range you need to seriously consider the new Toshiba 670U or the LGLH90 since both are LD LED`s. While they are not quite as good as the flagship series A950 & XBR8 they are much better then the choices you have mentioned your considering.

There are dedicated threads to both units i suggested you to consider.

Regards & Good Luck !

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TVbc,

Thanks, I just explained a lot ... Samsung marketing strategy makes sense now.

That answered some missing pieces I had about what they were referring to.

So if I understand, that edge lighting via led is a downgrade from local lighting to save money and push "led" technology to customers in stores.

Basicaly, am I going to be making a bad decision by going with the Sony over the "LED" technology? Again I know, not apples to apples, I guess I just need someone who knows what they are doing opinion first because I dont trust myself on big decisions like this because I dont understand all the new technology.

Thanks again for making the lighting clear along with the post above yours. That really did help. I would of never known that there were two types of LED technology .. sneaky samsung.

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox1 /forum/post/16859084

The XBR9 is CCFL backlit & the B7100 is edge-lit with problems. In your price range you need to seriously consider the new Toshiba 670U or the LGLH90 since both are LD LED`s. While they are not quite as good as the flagship series A950 & XBR8 they are much better then the choices you have mentioned your considering.

There are dedicated threads to both units i suggested you to consider.

Regards & Good Luck !

Thanks Silverfox, I will check those out
Always liked LG

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipcrkr /forum/post/16859118

I'll make it simple...get the Sammy B750.

AH yes, that is a great lcd .. I checked it out. I just coudnt get over the casing. I didnt like how the bottom was a lot larger than all the other sides. But as far as tech goes, that may be the best lcd out there imo. (for that price range)

· Vendor
36,700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfox1 /forum/post/16859084

in your price range you need to seriously consider the new toshiba 670u or the lglh90 since both are ld led`s.
LG 47lh90 + 1 . I had Chad over for another calibration of a LH90 and I could not beleive the words that came out of his mouth:

Chad stopped out and calibrated another 55LH90. Hes said that this unit is his eyes is very close to the Kuro overall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B /forum/post/16853468

Yes, I was even more impressed with this one than the first one. I had the chance to see this one in a totally dark room, unlike the first.

The blacks are absolutely stunning! However, because of the totally dark room I could see more glowing around objects than I did the first time around.

· Registered
4,478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma /forum/post/16859162

LG 47lh90 + 1 . I had Chad over for another calibration of a LH90 and I could not beleive the words that came out of his mouth:

Chad stopped out and calibrated another 55LH90. Hes said that this unit is his eyes is very close to the Kuro overall

Hey Chris, i'm thinking about pulling the trigger on the 52"B750 from your place. Probably use Western Union. Do i still get 2% off?

· Registered
3,637 Posts
Is Plasma out of the question? I ask because stores are clearing out some models and they can be had for half what they used to be. 50" Pioneer are in your price range.

· Vendor
36,700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipcrkr /forum/post/16859202

Hey Chris, i'm thinking about pulling the trigger on the 52"B750 from your place. Probably use Western Union. Do i still get 2% off?
Might just want to do a wire transfer. So banks charge no fees. Western union usually charges fees.

· Vendor
36,700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipcrkr /forum/post/16859118

I'll make it simple...get the Sammy B750.

Any know much about the LG XXLH55....these things are being given away, especially in the 47" size. I have not had alot of time to play with one, 240MHZ

· Registered
4,478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma /forum/post/16859298

Might just want to do a wire transfer. So banks charge no fees. Western union usually charges fees.

Do i call the number and get the code to send it?

By the way, i'm using cash, not transferring money from a bank account. So i just bring the cash to the bank with the code # so they know where to send it?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.