AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I hope this is the appropriate section for this question. I did a search, but there is so much information on this site that it's difficult to find exactly what you're looking for. With that being said, here's my question: What are the practical differences between an LCD display and an LED display? I had originally thought that the LEDs were basically LCDs with a different (and possibly better) lighting technology, but I hadn't really done much research at that point in time. After seeing some in stores, I really liked the look of the LEDs that I had seen, but I had a friend of mine say that the Best Buy employee that calibrated his TV (LCD) told him that LCDs were better (though he didn't say why). I'm looking to get a 3D TV though, so this could all be a moot point since it seems like almost all the 3D TVs are LED or plasma. Currently leaning toward a Samsung LED 3DTV, but any input/suggestions/advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
LCDs are lit by LEDs (Light Emitting Diodes) or CCFLs (Cold Cathode Flourescent tubes). LEDs make it possible for TV to be thinner & usually lighter in weight, but edge-lit LEDs also tend to cause screen uniformity problems in dark scenes. One or more areas of the screen may be lighter or darker than another part. Cheaper LED LCDs tend to have more problems (as a general rule) than more expensive ones.

There are multiple threads touting the advantages and disadvantages of each type in this Forum. If you are set on getting a 3D TV, then LED is truly your only option as far as I know. High-end Samsungs & Sonys should provide an excellent picture under most if not all lighting conditions.

Have fun shopping.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Manufactures can be a little misleading... sometimes they will say the display has "LED backlighting" when the TV is edge-lit and will even use the term local dimming and it can still be edge-lit...a little disingenuous if you ask me. Look for the word fully or full array in the description for a fully back-lit local dimming display.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How are LED/LCDs when it comes to gaming--is there going to be any lag? Not sure what the response time is compared to my current DLP, but I've never had any problems with the DLP. I recall reading somewhere on here that somebody may have had some lag with an LED 3D TV for gaming...

Is the 240Hz vs 120Hz refresh rate the same thing as response time? The TV will probably have a lot of games played on it (both 360 and PS3), so I'd like to make sure it will work well.

Thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
1,570 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova /forum/post/19648748

How are LED/LCDs when it comes to gaming--is there going to be any lag? Not sure what the response time is compared to my current DLP, but I've never had any problems with the DLP. I recall reading somewhere on here that somebody may have had some lag with an LED 3D TV for gaming...

Is the 240Hz vs 120Hz refresh rate the same thing as response time? The TV will probably have a lot of games played on it (both 360 and PS3), so I'd like to make sure it will work well.

Thanks again for the help!

My college age sons who are home for the holidays say there is no noticeable lag on our recent 55LE8500 running in game mode with an XBOX360. The XBOX360 is an older version without HDMI - so it is running thru a component input. I was a little surprised to see the TV reporting 1080P60 as the input.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
hey a little late to the party here

looking to replace a 7 year old DLP set that has dimmed to the point of annoyance.

ok so what I got out of that CNET article is that most of the LED's on the market are edge lit which means they are an inferior substitute for CCFL LCD and therefore all you are paying extra for is thin-ness. Anyone want to disagree with that claim?

Here are the two TV's I have sort of narrowed my search down to :

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-M3D470KD-47-Inch-Theater-Internet/dp/B007TEE92K

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-E3D470VX-47-Inch-Theater-Internet/dp/B004YAVDSA/ref=pd_cp_e_0

Please don't tell me how much you hate Vizio TV's (I read this forum a lot) - as far as my research indicates, their price to performance ratio is unequalled in the marketplace today.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts