Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check out this very interesting presentation by Lumileds:

http://www.netl.doe.gov/ssl/PDFs/Krames.pdf

It talks about projected luminous effeciency per watt, Color Accuracy, and paints a very promising picture.

I wonder when the first viable LED based projector will emerge :)

·
Premium Member
25,537 Posts
That's great for large areaDon't get too excited yet for pj aps; even with enough luminous efficiency the problem of entendue (focusing it into a usable small beam) remains.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Lots of interesting info. Good find.

But I think the summary that predicts cross over with metal halide in about 2010 is a little optomistic. Notice how all the other light sources took a big jump over just a couple of years and then flatten out. But they predict exponential growth over a couple of decades for LEDs. That seems unrealistic to me.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a number of Luxeon LED flashlights and focusing does not seem to be the issue that it is with the Nichia Led's. The Luxeon has better directionality, and using the right optics can make a pretty focused spot.

I am sure the presentation is quite optomistic, since it is a marketing tool, but I am encouraged by the prototypes mentioned, such as the 1000 lumen module as well as the fact that they seem to be pursuing D65.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not stupid, but we have had them for at least 5-10 years.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Free,

Do a search on this subject with my name. You should find a few threads on it. Luxeon did a paper on how to make a projector with LED's

One chip DLP is actually the best candidate because you get rid of the light robbing colorwheel in the design.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I remember Wiggles, I think I posted to a few of those threads. I hadn't seen this paper by Lumileds with a timeline, efficiency and output projections before and thought people would enjoy it.

I wonder which mainstream projector manufacturer will be courageous enough to be the first to come out with a LED based projector. I wonder if any of them are experimenting with it right now?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Free
I wonder which mainstream projector manufacturer will be courageous enough to be the first to come out with a LED based projector. I wonder if any of them are experimenting with it right now?
While maybe not mainstream... here's a link...

Sorry couldn't make it a link... but I'm still posting... found a cool story about Qubic Light and their work on an LED based projector... search google.

Dave

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome to the forum Dave :)

I think this is the link you are referring to:

Qubic Light

·
Registered
225 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Free
Welcome to the forum Dave :)

I think this is the link you are referring to:

Qubic Light
Free,

Yep... that be the one... :)

Thanks! (and here goes one more post)

Dave

P.S. Been a lurker in these forums for many years and *finally* decided to post something... This forum has been INVALUABLE to me when making AV purchases.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.