AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently switch Leeza inputs via macros programmed into my remote (when I hit the power button for one of my S-video sources, for example, the remote runs through a macro that powers up that source and my amp, switches the amp to the correct source and toggles through three or four Leeza steps to switch the Leeza to the correct input). I asked Mike whether it would be possible through a minor software update to add discrete code input selection. He said it would be possible but he was a bit surprised anyone would care since you can get to the same place via multistep macros.

I find that macros for this sort of thing are not very dependible (you sometimes veer off into unpredictable branches of the device's menus -- often that means the macro fails to switch to the right input, and several times my macro actually reset the unit to factory default). So my question for other Leeza users is this: would you find discrete code input selection to be a desirable change, or don't you think this is particularly important?

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
yes, desirable.

·
Super Moderator
21,499 Posts
funny you bring this up

if the Leeza is left on a particular OSD , you can access inputs discretely by inputting 1 higher input number

IE -if you want input 1, hit input 2 and it will come up with no macros needed

at least that worked for me for a couple months, but then I made some PQ adjustments and lost that last screen as the default- I thought something was wrong with Leeza- then learned you need a macro to access inputs

now I cannot find that screen that allows you to do that- I had to set the macros into the remote- the trick is you have to follow exactly what is on screen or you will mess up the sequence

Yes- the Leeza would benefit from discrete inputs

Mark

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, the heavies are weighing in.

Before I forward this thread to Mike, I think I'll push my luck by asking another question about feature upgrades, but I'll do it in a separate thread since it's really a different question. See http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=140958

·
Registered
121 Posts
I would certainly like to see discrete codes for selecting individual inputs. I presently use Pronto pro macros but find them very unreliable. I rarely get the desired input on the first try. I think part of the problem is that the code for enter and menu is the same so that if one is missed the Leeza ends up in the wrong state. The other problem is that in order to have reasonable reliability, I need to introduce 0.5 sec. delays between individual commands in the macro--possibly because it is necessary to first bring up the menu, at least the way I am doing it requires it.

I would really like discrete codes for each input selection. Add my vote to the total.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
I've got one coming, and I'll be doing a CQC driver for it. I've not looked at the protocol, but I seriously hope that at least the RS-232 protocol provides discrete selection. I guess I should check this before buying it, huh? :)

·
Super Moderator
21,499 Posts
Dean

according to the manual it looks like there are discrete RS-232 codes for inputs, but I have never tried it( don't have the patience to do RS-232!)

the Leeza is set up to accept Crestron RS-232 commands

Mark

·
Premium Member
8,098 Posts
Most definitely desireable.

I talked with both TAW and KD about this issue & they don't seem to comprehend the importance of discrete IR signals. As Ericbee, I also dislike the use of macros where they are not needed (particularly since they need the unit to be in a certain mode, or they'll mess stuff up!).

Put up another vote for discrete IR codes!

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
while the leeza is an excellent and flexible performer, it will occasionally react to a code being sent to another appliance. the ir functionality needs to be honed a bit.

at least the inputs are more than toggle selected.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Quote:
according to the manual it looks like there are discrete RS-232 codes for inputs, but I have never tried it( don't have the patience to do RS-232!)
So is the protocol documented in the user manual? I sent them a request for the protocol docs, but if its in the user manual, I think that those are online so I can take a look at them there.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
I looked at the manual, and it definitely supports discrete as well as relative input selection. However, the information there really isn't sufficient to do a CQC driver. It doesn't list the possible values and ranges of the fields, which are kind of required in order to do a driver. I'm sure I could figure them all out by experimentation without too much effort, but if people don't have to guess, then you end up with a lot fewer bugs and better support for your device.

If they respond to my request I'll try to find out if a more complete document is available.

·
Banned
1,400 Posts
Spoke to Mike at KD, there is no way to have direct discrete IR codes on the Leeza. He said he would not release any proprietary info so a new driver could be created mainly because the software is "leased" from TAW and is not his to divulge. He did say however, that discrete rs-232 is possible and if you had some way to convert IR to RS-232 you could have direct discrete IR commands. Now go get to work..

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by ericbee
Spoke to Mike at KD, there is no way to have direct discrete IR codes on the Leeza....
Please elaborate...are you saying (a) that the Leeza software doesn't currently provide for IR discrete input selection (we all know that), (b) that the Leeza can't even in theory be upgraded to provide for IR discrete input selection or (c) that Mike has informed you that he does not expect to be upgrading the software to provide for IR discrete input selection?

If (b) or (c), why is that so?

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
as has been mentioned in the forum before, there is a business collaboration between TAW and Key Digital which helps and at the same time limits both of them. Key provides the de-interlacing algorithm (Clearmatrix) that they both use and TAW provides the user interface/operating system? that they both use (the TAW is a more sophisticated version). my guess is that the rock has identical ir problems to the Leeza and it is TAW who has to make the changes which would get passed on to Key.

it is also my guess that this collaboration hampers independent development and has perhaps outlived its usefulness for both parties

·
Banned
1,400 Posts
The software in the Leeza is provided by TAW. It does not allow for discrete IR as it is today. Based on Mikes comments, I do not feel the current Leeza will every be "upgraded" to allow for discrete IR.

Just read JLM's post, he is correct.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by ericbee
Based on Mikes comments, I do not feel the current Leeza will every be "upgraded" to allow for discrete IR.
That's really too bad. No "wide" mode and no discrete inputs. As a result, I'm considering whether to abandon the Leeza for everything except my sdi modded dvd player (I won't need discrete inputs in that case since I'll just leave the Leeza on the sdi input, and "wide" mode is not relevant for dvd playback since I always watch dvd's in original a/r). That would be a shame, since my standard definition stuff (Time Warner Cable through a Replaytv) really needs the help, and since the Leeza is a pretty expensive piece of hardware to be dedicated to nothing except DVD playback.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by oferlaor
Asinshesq (god that was hard to spell),

You can use Wide mode on LEEZA, but it will be through custom A/R.
Thanks, Ofer, but I think we established that you can't on this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=140958

Do you disagree with the conclusions there?

As for the name, I agree. I screwed up when I first became a forum member and lost the password for my original id (asinsh, which is a little bit easier), so I set up a second profile for asinshesq. But Alan works pretty well too :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.