AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyperson know when the Leeza will be out with their new software? Or is this just a rumor? I am in the market to purchase a leeza for my rptv and might wait to see about the reported new software. Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Well, I do know that a new Leeza ships in Sept.

but the only thing I know for sure about that one is it has a DVI input..

anyone else have more info??

·
Registered
274 Posts
I just talked with Don at KD today. No leeza upgrades as other forum members have illustrated. The leeza will only be supported with customer service. Also no future upgrades on the units (hardware or software). KD is only selling B stock on the Leeza units, awaiting the release of a totally new product in September after CEDIA. Don couldn't give me a name on the new product, but he said that its going to be a terrific price and that they already have many preorders for it.

You can get the Leeza B stock from jason at AVS

pat

·
Registered
360 Posts
The new scaler from key digital is what I heard about then.. I emailed key digital a couple weeks ago about having a DVI input on the leeza, and they said there would be one with a sept. ship date.

cool, can't wait to see the new product they have to replace the leeza.

·
Premium Member
8,098 Posts
Would the purpose of the DVI be basically a passthrough (like RGBHV passthrough)?

I hope they make it as (or more) customizable than the original LEEZA. I guess this would be as good a time as any to have us all propose features and options for this unit.

Personally, I vote for completely customizable naming for each input, and any number of customizeable aspect ratio controls (resizing, trimming, deforming). It's about time someone allowed me to customize what was written on the front of the box itself (like high end PCs could have the machine name written on the front).

One thing I can speculate upon is pricing. I know the original LEEZA had to have a motherboard, a flash (which costs quite a bit), Athlon CPU, video display card - all made by far eastern companies. To add on top of that, they had to pay Microsoft royalties (since Rock+ and LEEZA are based on a Windows OS derivative) and license fees towards TAW's software.

With a hardware platform, all those costs are gone - which should yield a significant savings for their customers.

We're seeing the same thing with CS-1 (from Focus Enhancements), where they produce a great product for a fraction of what the Rock costs...

I guess the biggest question is how good the video deinterlacing is.

Right now (I think this is the concensus), DCDi is probably the best video deinterlacer in mid-low-end scalers, and ClearMatrix and PureProgressive (SIL) are around the same. With ClearMatrix tier 2, there could be a significant improvement over the other deinterlacing systems. This could lead to a whole new ballgame...

I'm also wondering what kind of upgrade they will offer. Will it be a trade-in, or will customers be able to keep their LEEZAs after the upgrade.

This CEDIA will be REALLY interesting, methinks.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
here's a wish or two:

direct access to inputs, AR, etc via discrete IR codes, rather than the cumbersome menu system or toggles now used.

routing HD through the dvi, as well as sd;

a dvi input or two;

adjustable Y/C delay;

smaller, quieter box;

a few front panel buttons, for when the remote balks;

a less quirky remote;

scaling of 480p, not just pass-through.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Ok, my 2 cents:

1. Ability to do non-linear stretch (like Pioneer's wide mode).

2. Ability to scale progressive and HD signals.

(I only get two wishes for 2 cents.)

·
Premium Member
8,098 Posts
jlm,

If the unit is hardware, then routing of SD and HD through the DVI *could* be possible! Also, the smaller quieter box is pretty definite (as this is not a PC any longer, so the structure of the unit can be made much more efficient...

I don't know about the remote, but how about a package deal with a pronto (even a pronto NEO). What do you think?

DVI inputs - as passthrough?

How about a front LCD display that I can set to write my name on it when the unit runs...

I would agree 100% on the discrete input selection, on/off buttons and aspect ratio control. I hate the toggle ones as well as the idea of macros for this important feature!

Finally, SVideo connectors and not BNCs (I don't like the idea of the SVideo=>2xBNC converters).

I would also say that I'd like a screen saver (if the page on the screen is static, I want it dimmed or a screen saver to run to prevent burn-in). A wobbler wouldn't hurt either (my plasma doesn't have one).

I guess this is a bit much to ask for a hardware scaler, but these are our pie-in-the-sky requests, right?

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
My wishes would be

2 SDI inputs

Non-Linear Stretch

Scale 480p

Variable scan rates (72Hz, etc.)

Variable output resolutions up to and including 960p

Pricing under $2k. (Hey, I can wish, can't I?)

Seriously though, with those enhancements to the LEEZA, what a killer that would be.:D

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
built in test patterns.

bpape: it has variable output rates and res already.

Ofer: what if they name the product: "la Or"?

·
Registered
360 Posts
"Anyone know where the name LEEZA came from?"

I thought I read a while back that it is the name of Mike Tsinberg daughter??

or someones daughter..

My wish list.( already mentioned.. ) :D

1. Ability to do non-linear stretch (like Pioneer's wide mode).

2. Ability to scale SD, progressive and HD signals and send ALL signals through DVI

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I'd love to hear from KD on this thing; how can you preorder something without knowing its features (at least intended features?) Still, if it's a hardware-based platform, there may be difficulties with variable refresh rates; many of the chip solutions fix NTSC output at 60 hz, for example.

That's the situation Vigatec has with its FLI2200-based Dune, no 72 or 48 hz output (both of those would be great in addition to 60).

Just a thought.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
michael Lachter's daughter

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jlm
michael Lachter's daughter
Ofer is Michael Lachter's daughter?

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
From what I have been told, the upgrade path to the Leeza is not a software or hardware upgrade. If you currently have a Leeza, you will have the ability to purchase their new scaler (to be annouced) at a good price. They are also coming out with a HD scaler that can be integrated with the the current Leeza

·
Registered
360 Posts
Since this is a wish list, I want to add...

There is one thing I would love to see on a scaler, and that is a modular approach to Inputs..

( but I would imagine that it is going to be quite expensive...)

That way you have the flexibility to choose what type of inputs you explicitly need, be it composite, component,S-video,RGBHV,DVI,SDI, even HD-SDI, in the form of Input Modular's..

( AND that is future proof ( mostly) -- because whatever standard comes and goes, you can just change input modular's.)

the only company that has something like that is the barco cineVERSUM master, but it only outputs its own "Digilink" type cable and RGBHV. ( see link if you don't know about the cineVERSUM, click on the MASTER and read up!!)

http://www.barco.com/projection_syst...p?element=1022

I would love to see a scaler like the Digital Leeza, have modular inputs, be able to scale SD, HD and pass it all though the DVI at a custom resolution for a native rate to match your display.( as well as a simultaneous RGBHV output)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.