AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a mitsubishi HD ready tv (55807) and I have finally gotten annoyed to the point where I need some help.

When I'm watching directv my right and left side of the screen seem to be cut off short. For instance I was watching SNL the other day and it shoud say "Whopper Virgins" on the bottom right and mine only says "Whopper Virg" (great skit by the way). I have scrolled through all of the menu's that I'm aware of and I still cannot seem to fix this issue. I have already changed the format on my TV to no avail, I have already changed the setting on the Directv from 16:9 to 4:3 to no avail and I have changed the setting on the tv from 480p to 960i and this still did not seem to fix the issue. I'm really at a loss here and the only thing that gave me a sliver more of the screen was when I changed the viewing setting on the TV from video to film. But the sliver only gave me the next letter "i".

I was watching this on my dvr recording and I don't know if that makes any difference since it was not live TV, but I would appreciate any help here.

My directv DVR reciever is the -100 model.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
What you are seeing is the effect of something called overscan.

This can usually be reduced by going into the service menu and making adjustments to the geometry. It's not something for the uninitiated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So is there nothing that I can do, or can I read up on this overscanning and fix the problem? If I can fix it, please direct me to the right resources.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
As jvincent said, correcting overscan is not for the uninitiated, nor is it for the fainthearted. As you make the adjustments needed to reduce overscan, you also seriously bugger the set's geometry and convergence, which will both have to be redone. Envision lengthening or shortening a badminton net and then tensioning it to be straight afterwards. Same general principle. If you want to DIY, plan to do some serious reading beforehand (a service manual is nice to have, although not strictly necessary), buy a geometry template or measure off your screen into precise rectangles, and set aside hours if not a whole day or more to do it.

Better yet, hire an experienced Mitsubishi calibrator. They can do much more than overscan and geometry, and you won't believe how good your set will look.

If you only notice this with DirectTV, it could very well be due to how the box is upconverting/scaling the signal. I don't know if SNL is broadcast in 16:9 (HD) as I don't watch it, but if it's broadcast in 4:3, then your receiver could be truncating the image as it scales it. Try another source such as a DVD player into the same input and see if you notice the same thing.

If you still want to DIY, PM me for more info.

·
Premium Member
10,566 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by destarr /forum/post/15582294

When I'm watching directv my right and left side of the screen seem to be cut off short.

This sounds like a configuration error not like overscan particularly if it only happens with the DTV source.

Also what's the full HR model number?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DVD's view just fine. They are on Component Input while the directv is coming through in S video with seperate audio. (no option for component as this is not a HD DVR unit)

Reduced side seem to be only when I watch shows that show the "HD" label. Ie-shows that say -"broadcast in HD where available." This may not be a 100% accurate but these are the shows that I really notice the problem on. This happened again as I was watching the Pittsburgh/ Baltimore game tonight.

Not sure what you mean when you say you need the full HR number but I assume you want the full model number of the Directv DVR as I only provided some of that. The full number is the R15-300.

Thanks for all of the help so far. If I do need a service person how much does that typically cost. I am located in Bloomington, Il and I have had only sears come and clean my TV a couple of years ago (I got the extended warranty when I bought it from them and I wanted to get something out of it as the TV has run great so far).

Please don't give up on me yet. I'm sure together we can figure this out.

·
Premium Member
10,566 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by destarr /forum/post/15590890

DVD's view just fine. They are on Component Input while the directv is coming through in S video with seperate audio. (no option for component as this is not a HD DVR unit)

Reduced side seem to be only when I watch shows that show the "HD" label.

The R15 is an SD only receiver and the 16:9/4:3 option isn't supposed to do anything. Also I suspect (I've never used an R15) that it's 480i only so

1) Make sure that you can see both 4:3 and 16:9 content correctly using some source (I'm going to assume in your case this is a DVD).

2) Make sure that only some R15 (sat) programming is having the problem.

3) If all of the above is correct try switching to composite rather than s-video out of the R15.

The goal is to determine if the R15 is working properly under all/some/any circumstance and if the TV can display properly sized images at all. I'm still inclined to think that if it works "sometimes" a configuration error is involved.

Regarding service: both of these products are old and the cost to repair them is likely to exceed their value. Actually if the R15 has failed DTV won't repair it, they'll charge you some fee and send you a refurbished unit. If you've been a DTV customer for more than four years they'll probably send you a new receiver (R16 or R22) at a significant discount or for the cost of shipping.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well good news and bad news. Good news is I don't believe it is my DVR. I put in MIB into the dvd player downstairs and noticed the left and right of my menu screen, then took it upstairs and noticed that I am missing the far left and right of my screen. So it appears it is my television. The DVD uses the component inputs while the DVR is using the S-video connection. Both are yeilding a "narrow screen."

Am I SOL at this point or what should I look into as my options. If I get a new tv is there any still out there with the depth that my tv has. IE I use the TV to place my components on top of, the tv is approx 2 feet deep with a flat top. I really don't want a television that I need to mount onto the wall.

·
Premium Member
10,566 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by destarr /forum/post/15595324

I use the TV to place my components on top of, the tv is approx 2 feet deep with a flat top. I really don't want a television that I need to mount onto the wall.

There are a number of options. You could shop for a used RPTV. They are relatively inexpensive as people upgrade to flat panels. A plain stand or one with a built in mounting bracket will give you a place for your display and your other components. A very simple stand with a separate mount is another option. It's entirely dependent on your budget.

By the way, no display "needs" to mounted on the wall. Wall mounting is, in fact, generally a bad idea since it seems to encourage high mounting and interferes with bias lighting.

Good luck.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
I do have another question for the OP: what screen mode do you have your TV set in? You can press the "Info" button on the remote while viewing an image and it'll give you the time, input resolution, and screen mode. If it's anything but "Standard", you will see some image truncation, as most of the screen modes are different zoom modes. Even the "Narrow" mode truncates the image somewhat.

I've had a 46807 since October 2001, so I'm a bit familiar with this. We've settled on "Standard" for all of our viewing.

Hope you get it figured out!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wish it were all that simple. I have tried all modes and I still am missing the sides. Because I really enjoy this TV set and don't really want to invest 1000's of dollars on a new set that I don't see me liking as much anyway. Do you think I can solve the issue with a tech for under $300? My wife say's I'm nitpicking anyway, but you guys will back me up, once you notice this stuff its all you can do to not notice it (que-Austin Powers - Holy Moly).

·
Registered
375 Posts
Is your DirecTv box hooked up to your Tv via an HDMI or DVI cable?

If so, your display may not be synching up correctly over the digital connection and you'll want to try hooking up the directv box to your tv via component to check if that's the issue.

If so, then you'll want to use the component inputs on your tv, and if they're all taken, simply get a component switch box and avoid using HDMI or DVI.

hope that's the cause because that's the cheapest/easiest fix.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts