AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a cabinet with a nice powered subwoofer built in and now I'm trying to figure out how to connect it to my Onkyo NR900. The subwoofer's amp has rca phono plugs for a left and a right input. What's that about? I thought that there was only one channel for a subwoofer (the '1' in the typical 2.1, 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 setup), and of course my Onkyo only has one subwoofer output. So why two inputs? Should I take the single onkyo subwoofer output, split it with a y-connector and plug the two resulting paths into the subwoofer output? Or should I just plug a single rca phono plug into the right channel of the subwoofer amp and leave the left one unutilized?

And a related question: the subwoofer amp also has rca phono plugs (again left and right) for 'output' from the subwoofer amp. What would that go to? Is that used for people who have two separate subwoofers with different amps?

·
Registered
737 Posts
I have a passive bass reflector that basically takes a speaker level input, sends the right signals to whatever, then outputs it to the main fronts. There are 2 woofers inside the box. 1 for each channel. And it works out pretty good. It's a bandpass style unit. I think the bandpasses actually sound more natural than the ported subs. I've seen some powered subs with 2 inputs. Just get a Y cable. That should work fine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Generally speaking, splitting the sub signal with a Y cable at the sub will net an overall gain of about 5db on the sub. ust make sure you get a Ycable that's comparable to your sub cable...you don't want to go from a beefy sub cable to a cheapie Y into the sub and ruin the signal with some wimpy unshielded crap wire...not that you, or anyone on this forum would do that, but I've seen stranger things, ya know?

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by lord_zeppelin
...you don't want to go from a beefy sub cable to a cheapie Y into the sub and ruin the signal with some wimpy unshielded crap wire...not that you, or anyone on this forum would do that, but I've seen stranger things, ya know?
Stranger things is my middle name. I actually just got a bunch of new equipment on Wendesday and, with all the stores closed, I instlled it with whatever I had lying around. So I hooked the subwoofer up with a standard (pretty non-beefy gauge) 3 foot rca phono patch cable like the kind that comes packed with a lot of equipment. Given that the run is only about 3 feet, is the cable really that important? (I know I'm gona get flamed for this!)

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by asinshesq
Given that the run is only about 3 feet, is the cable really that important? (I know I'm gona get flamed for this!)
No, it is not important. Over the past 30 years both I and friends of mine have participated in several double-blind tests of interconnects, and none of us has been able to accurately detect differences between the cheap ones and the expensive ones. The tests included cables from such companies as Transparent Audio, XLO, Audioquest, etc.

About 15 or 20 years ago I read an article (I believe it was in Audio magazine) where the reviewers did a double blind test of speaker cables, comparing high-end cables with ordinary 18-gauge zip cord. Guess what? No clear difference was detected.

From what I've been able to determine, the only perceived differences between interconnects are due to listener expectations and marketing hype. Both of those variables are eliminated in a double-blind test.

Let the flaming begin.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
If it's a typical subwoofer amp with R & L inputs, you may use either of the inputs (LFE from receiver) or both (R and L pre outs). The R & L inputs are combined in the circuitry anyway, since there's only one sub speaker to drive. All sub amps I have looked at do this so: 1 or 2 cables, doesn't matter.

Edit: I should have mentioned, if you use L & R pre outputs to a sub, you may have to set up the speakers in the menu differently. For basic HT use, a single LFE connection is fine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I won't flame! DAMMIT I WONT!

Anyways, I agree partially, but I look at it this way...I'm not going to go out and blow like $700 on a High End sub cable. Nor am I even going to blow $80 to get a "brand" such as Monster, or even $50 for acoustic research. However, I'm not going to use some unshielded piece of S that came with my daewoo region hacker player. I just completed my new setup (all paradigm) and I went with Dayton Audio cables from www.partsexpress.com . They are a good, solid, well shielded cable, which is important for LFE clarity and accuracy. And the cable was about 1/5th the price of monster. I didn't spend too much, but I didn't spend $2 at Target on a cable, ya know? I mean really, $9 for a solidly shielded cable is worth it to me...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.