AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing a plasma over the fireplace. Inwalls is the best option for speakers due to kids, space, WAF. Next to the fireplace is a small "nook" with built in shelves which means I don't have much wall to work with for speakers and I sit almost 14 feet away.

I was at my local high end av store. I was listening to the B&W 650's which sounded great. I shared with him my dilemma.

My options for speaker location as I see it are:

1. Place the left, center and right fairly close together (l and r would be about 6 feet apart). I could move the left speaker 2 feet left but then they wouldn't be symmetrical (sound issues as well as looks funny?)

2. Use only a left and right and run phantom mode, since they're so close. Sacrilege?

3. Add a "little wall" at the top of the nook and put the right speaker in it, allowing me to widen the field considerably. I could move the left speaker over farther to the left too, keeping it symmetrical. They would be about 10 feet apart this way. Using up the top of the "nook" might look funny. It'll have to clear the WAF and DAF (Decorator Acceptance Factor)

4. Use satellites. I fear that WAF satellites would not sound as good as the 650's. Any thoughts here :confused:

5. Then the av guy said this (!) :
"Just mount the inwalls in the ceiling. We do 70% of our installs this way. The dispersion (on the B&W's) is so good that it sounds great."

Has anyone heard a setup this way and liked it? I've seen one ht with this and it sounded terrible. I could clearly tell the sound was coming from above - very distracting. I don't know what speakers they were though.

I'm trying to get 5 inwalls (no sub) for close to $1000 so Triads, etc. are out of my league.

·
Registered
25 Posts
i've seen it but only heard music out of them.. I didn't get a chance to play with the HT part.. They were installed by "the security company" here in Houston...

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
KEF has the Ci200QT ceiling mount speaker that are motorized so that they can be positioned at an ideal angle for the listener. They then retract into the ceiling when not in use.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are they in my price range, though? (approx. $300 each)

Unfortunately the nearest dealer is 400 miles away. Can anyone comment on how they sound?

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
...when I was living in the fraternity I liked showing off the size of my speakers, but I also drove a 5.0 Mustang then and wanted everyone to notice me.

If you want your plasma to last more than a year, I'd never turn the fireplace on.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I don't think that would sound that great, really. But I also don't understand the "I just spent tons of dough on a plasma and now have a small speaker budget"

I'm not sure the price on the Kef's but it sounds like it is your solution. Unless they are REALLY expensive, I would wait and save for the solution you need.

·
Registered
596 Posts
My sister had the exact same scenario (plasma over fireplace etc.) and the local professional installer went with all RBH in ceiling speakers. They dont sound half bad (I believe they have a aimable tweeter). Do they stand up to my M&Ks? Not a chance, However her HT gets the oohhhs and ahhhs based on looks not mine. The KEF would be my first choice, however the in cielings will definately get the WAF and will work fine.

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
Triad makes three front channel ceiling speakers. They all have flush grills, and angled baffles behind the grills. All, of course, are in sealed enclosures, as all speakers should be. One of them is even a ceiling version of the Silver Monitor. InCeiling Gold Omni, $500 each. InCeiling Silver MiniMonitor, $1400 each. InCeiling Silver Monitor, $2400 each. They're all designed for applications where the ceiling is the only place for the speakers, and quality must be maintained.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Paul,

"you've got mail"

Thanks,

Nick

·
Registered
115 Posts
I own the ci200qt. It's okay but not great. I had a set of decent Cambridge speakers from my old place, I mounted them left right, front + back, then put the ci200qt in the center. I've never gotten it to reliably go up and down (it lives down now). If I were doing a plasma screen, I'd go with in-wall above or below...I can't because I have projection.

-Aaron

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.