AVS Forum banner

581 - 600 of 945 Posts

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Actually I listened to the Signature SE, not the Focus SE. Have you compared those? Any thoughts about the mids in the Signature SE?
Both are dynamic. The Focus has better and smoother midrange and more bass. I wouldn't try to compare the Aeris to the Focus SE because the Aeris has on board amplification and DSP room correction. Apples to Oranges.

I just noticed that the Focus XD contains an on board amplifier but not DSP room correction. Interesting.

Reactions: sunPin

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Both are dynamic. The Focus has better and smoother midrange and more bass. I wouldn't try to compare the Aeris to the Focus SE because the Aeris has on board amplification and DSP room correction. Apples to Oranges.

I just noticed that the Focus XD contains an on board amplifier but not DSP room correction. Interesting.
Hmm.... That brings up the question, if you have a really powerful separate power amp, would there still be a reason to go with the Focus XD over the Focus SE? Might one still get better sound because of freeing the separate power amp from having to produce deep bass at high levels, even though such an amp had enough power to do so?

·
Registered
25 Posts

I have the Legacy Aeris. The Xlicia DSP was nice however the Wavelet is a game changer. I sold my preamp traded in the Xlicia and bought the Wavelet as my preamp.The Focus now has amplification for the bass. If you need DSP in the Focus SE or HD you can purchase the Wavelet and use it as a DSP or as preamp with DSP. As an added bonus it has a DAC built in. I have yet to do some serious comparison between my DAC and the one in the Wavelet. Yes I did some AB comparison and they sounded pretty close. I use a server.
The speakers I had before I purchased my first Legacy were Infinity IRS Epsilon. My first Legacy speakers were Focus SE which sounded similar to the Infinity's. The Infinity's in there day were a $15,000 speaker and the Legacy $10,000. The Legacy's seem to be the next step up from my Infinity's. The sound is more refined and with tighter bass. The Aeris just another step up. I actually question myself and wonder if I should have gone with the Whispers. The rumor is the Whispers are are easier to,place,set up. However with the Wavelet none of that matters now.
My amps are rated 600 watts 8ohms and over 1000 at 4ohms. Yes the Aeris do crank and kick butt. I'm sure everyone has a great speaker they like. I even like the speakers in my home theater set up and they cost $3000 a pair but then you need to count the 2 subwoofers. My recommendation buy what you think sounds best and not what someone tells you.
Cheers

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Hmm.... That brings up the question, if you have a really powerful separate power amp, would there still be a reason to go with the Focus XD over the Focus SE? Might one still get better sound because of freeing the separate power amp from having to produce deep bass at high levels, even though such an amp had enough power to do so?
I would suggest talking to the folks at Legacy. They are very honest about their products. I think the XD may be due to market pressure as many speakers are now self amplified.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I have the Legacy Aeris. The Xlicia DSP was nice however the Wavelet is a game changer. I sold my preamp traded in the Xlicia and bought the Wavelet as my preamp.The Focus now has amplification for the bass. If you need DSP in the Focus SE or HD you can purchase the Wavelet and use it as a DSP or as preamp with DSP. As an added bonus it has a DAC built in. I have yet to do some serious comparison between my DAC and the one in the Wavelet. Yes I did some AB comparison and they sounded pretty close. I use a server.
The speakers I had before I purchased my first Legacy were Infinity IRS Epsilon. My first Legacy speakers were Focus SE which sounded similar to the Infinity's. The Infinity's in there day were a $15,000 speaker and the Legacy $10,000. The Legacy's seem to be the next step up from my Infinity's. The sound is more refined and with tighter bass. The Aeris just another step up. I actually question myself and wonder if I should have gone with the Whispers. The rumor is the Whispers are are easier to,place,set up. However with the Wavelet none of that matters now.
My amps are rated 600 watts 8ohms and over 1000 at 4ohms. Yes the Aeris do crank and kick butt. I'm sure everyone has a great speaker they like. I even like the speakers in my home theater set up and they cost $3000 a pair but then you need to count the 2 subwoofers. My recommendation buy what you think sounds best and not what someone tells you.
Cheers
I second your recommendation with the caveat that one's financial and room situations force compromise. :D

·
Registered
471 Posts
Legacy owners, I have 3 Silhouette Pros on the way from Legacy!

Anyone running Silhouettes and have tips for setting them up?

These will be my first on-wall speakers so I want to make sure I have considered everything I should. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
471 Posts
Legacy owners, I have 3 Silhouette Pros on the way from Legacy!

Anyone running Silhouettes and have tips for setting them up?

These will be my first on-wall speakers so I want to make sure I have considered everything I should. Thanks

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've sat here and read through most of this thread..and I must agree that the Legacy Audio brand speakers are some of the best available. Dollar for dollar you would be hard press to find a better speaker. Legacy will compare very well with speakers that cost 3 to 4 times as much, and Bill and Doug are great people who are always willing to work with you and to answer any questions that you may come up with.

It seems like unlike most of you guys I only use my Legacy for music, and it seems like I might be the Lone Ranger here, I have mine hooked up to a vintage receiver. Right now I have a pair of Focus SE's (in Rosewood) hooked up to a Marantz 2500 in my Family Room. The Marantz drives the Focus SE's very nicely.

The Focus SE's replaced a pair of Klipsch that I had bought (a waste of good money I might add) and used for about 7 months. The fatigue that you would experience with the Klips after about 2-3 hours was awful. I found out about Legacy by searching the internet and then making phone calls to find a dealer. I listen to a wide of range of music..from Easy Jazz, Romantic Piano, Lite hits of the 70's & 80's to Rock. I haven't found any music yet that sounds bad on the Legacy's nor do I experience any fatigue, I have sat here in my easy chair and spent the entire day listening to the Focus :D

I'm currently working on building a system for the Master Bedroom, I've bought a pair of Studio's for that and are going to connect them to a Sansui G-9000db that I bought while stationed in the UK back in 1979.

Just a quick note: All of my vintage receivers have or are being restored by an outstanding tech in VT. He has rebuilt my Marantz 2500, Pioneer SX-1980 and is currently finishing up my Sansui G-9000DB.

If any of you are ever in the Roanoke, VA area give me a shout and stop by and have a cup of tea..:D Habit I picked up in the UK.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I've sat here and read through most of this thread..and I must agree that the Legacy Audio brand speakers are some of the best available. Dollar for dollar you would be hard press to find a better speaker. Legacy will compare very well with speakers that cost 3 to 4 times as much, and Bill and Doug are great people who are always willing to work with you and to answer any questions that you may come up with.

It seems like unlike most of you guys I only use my Legacy for music, and it seems like I might be the Lone Ranger here, I have mine hooked up to a vintage receiver. Right now I have a pair of Focus SE's (in Rosewood) hooked up to a Marantz 2500 in my Family Room. The Marantz drives the Focus SE's very nicely.

The Focus SE's replaced a pair of Klipsch that I had bought (a waste of good money I might add) and used for about 7 months. The fatigue that you would experience with the Klips after about 2-3 hours was awful. I found out about Legacy by searching the internet and then making phone calls to find a dealer. I listen to a wide of range of music..from Easy Jazz, Romantic Piano, Lite hits of the 70's & 80's to Rock. I haven't found any music yet that sounds bad on the Legacy's nor do I experience any fatigue, I have sat here in my easy chair and spent the entire day listening to the Focus :D

I'm currently working on building a system for the Master Bedroom, I've bought a pair of Studio's for that and are going to connect them to a Sansui G-9000db that I bought while stationed in the UK back in 1979.

Just a quick note: All of my vintage receivers have or are being restored by an outstanding tech in VT. He has rebuilt my Marantz 2500, Pioneer SX-1980 and is currently finishing up my Sansui G-9000DB.

If any of you are ever in the Roanoke, VA area give me a shout and stop by and have a cup of tea..:D Habit I picked up in the UK.
Thanks for posting your thoughts, as I also am getting close to pulling the trigger on a set of Focus SE. I currently am home auditioning a set of the new Signature SE, which are quite impressive speakers, but they just are not digging deep and visceral like a demo I recently heard with Focus SE.

The only caveat is the existence of the new Focus XD, which has built in amps for the woofer section. Before I spend this kind of money, I'd like to hear a comparison of the Focus SE driven by quality amps to the Focus XD. If the sound quality is equal, the beauty of the XD is that, because you are only driving the tweeter and mids, it opens up the possibility of using more modestly powerful amplifier, whereas with the SE, I would want at least a 300wpc into 4 ohms amp.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thanks for posting your thoughts, as I also am getting close to pulling the trigger on a set of Focus SE. I currently am home auditioning a set of the new Signature SE, which are quite impressive speakers, but they just are not digging deep and visceral like a demo I recently heard with Focus SE.

The only caveat is the existence of the new Focus XD, which has built in amps for the woofer section. Before I spend this kind of money, I'd like to hear a comparison of the Focus SE driven by quality amps to the Focus XD. If the sound quality is equal, the beauty of the XD is that, because you are only driving the tweeter and mids, it opens up the possibility of using more modestly powerful amplifier, whereas with the SE, I would want at least a 300wpc into 4 ohms amp.
A comparison between the XD and the SE would be kind of interesting, especially if you were building a new system from scratch. I could see how that could come in handy so that you could figure out which amp/receiver you would need to get. What finish are you thinking about getting? I have the Rosewood in both of my sets, but I almost pulled the trigger on the Black Pearl. I'm not much into black finish speakers (course all I've ever seen were the black oak) but the Black Pearl finish is stunning, the pictures on Legacy's website doesn't do it justice.

Remember that the Signature SE's (22Hz-30KHz) doesn't go as low as the Focus SE (18Hz-30KHz) also the Sigs are rated at 92dB/watt where as the Focus SE's are rated at 95.4dB/watt. Also need to remember that the Sig has (2) 10 inch sub-woofers where the Focus has (2) 12 inchers. You also have (1) 7 inch mid-woofer in the Sig vs (2) in the Focus SE's. Based just on this I would expect the Focus to "dig" a little deeper into the bass.

I had thought about sending my SE's back to have them converted to the XD's, but after taking to Doug and Bill I decided it wasn't worth it to me. I'm thinking I will take the money and invest in one of Legacy's processors. The Legacy Audio Wavelet is a control preamp, a high-end DAC, a 2/3/4-way digital crossover with time alignment and a speaker correction system that will literally “learn” your room..Some of the Legacy people (dealers) that I know feel like this would really enhance the performance of the Focus SE's to about 90% of the Aeris. I'll be going to the Legacy factory as soon as I heal from my back surgery and I plan on talking to Bill or Doug about this.

The Legacy is a speaker that can really be enjoy with out having to "crank" your amp. With a 95.4 dB/watt the Focus SE's doesn't really need a "monster amp" to drive them to "enjoyable levels". I do believe that a receiver or amp in the 120/150 range would drive the Focus very nicely. I normally have my Marantz volume control at the 7 to 7:30 position on the dial, which would be about my normal listening level and the detail in the music just jumps out at you.

I just can't say enough good things about the Legacy brand, (I now own the Focus SE's and I just bought a pair of Studio HD's) I have found that Bill, Doug and Victoria (Bill's daughter) have just been outstanding to deal with, and never once gives an impression that you are bothering them.

One last thing I wanted to point out, my opinions are just that opinions, and it's based on a 2 channel system. However there is no doubt in my mind that Legacy makes an outstanding HT setup that would be equal to, and in most cases, be superior to some other brands. Only YOU can be the judge of that.

·
Registered
471 Posts
You guys have all got me excited to join the Legacy family. Can't wait to hear what these Silhouettes are made of!

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
A comparison between the XD and the SE would be kind of interesting, especially if you were building a new system from scratch. I could see how that could come in handy so that you could figure out which amp/receiver you would need to get. What finish are you thinking about getting? I have the Rosewood in both of my sets, but I almost pulled the trigger on the Black Pearl. I'm not much into black finish speakers (course all I've ever seen were the black oak) but the Black Pearl finish is stunning, the pictures on Legacy's website doesn't do it justice.

Remember that the Signature SE's (22Hz-30KHz) doesn't go as low as the Focus SE (18Hz-30KHz) also the Sigs are rated at 92dB/watt where as the Focus SE's are rated at 95.4dB/watt. Also need to remember that the Sig has (2) 10 inch sub-woofers where the Focus has (2) 12 inchers. You also have (1) 7 inch mid-woofer in the Sig vs (2) in the Focus SE's. Based just on this I would expect the Focus to "dig" a little deeper into the bass.

I had thought about sending my SE's back to have them converted to the XD's, but after taking to Doug and Bill I decided it wasn't worth it to me. I'm thinking I will take the money and invest in one of Legacy's processors. The Legacy Audio Wavelet is a control preamp, a high-end DAC, a 2/3/4-way digital crossover with time alignment and a speaker correction system that will literally “learn” your room..Some of the Legacy people (dealers) that I know feel like this would really enhance the performance of the Focus SE's to about 90% of the Aeris. I'll be going to the Legacy factory as soon as I heal from my back surgery and I plan on talking to Bill or Doug about this.

The Legacy is a speaker that can really be enjoy with out having to "crank" your amp. With a 95.4 dB/watt the Focus SE's doesn't really need a "monster amp" to drive them to "enjoyable levels". I do believe that a receiver or amp in the 120/150 range would drive the Focus very nicely. I normally have my Marantz volume control at the 7 to 7:30 position on the dial, which would be about my normal listening level and the detail in the music just jumps out at you.

I just can't say enough good things about the Legacy brand, (I now own the Focus SE's and I just bought a pair of Studio HD's) I have found that Bill, Doug and Victoria (Bill's daughter) have just been outstanding to deal with, and never once gives an impression that you are bothering them.

One last thing I wanted to point out, my opinions are just that opinions, and it's based on a 2 channel system. However there is no doubt in my mind that Legacy makes an outstanding HT setup that would be equal to, and in most cases, be superior to some other brands. Only YOU can be the judge of that.
Thanks for the observations!

Well, the thing is, with respect to the Focus XD vs SE, I have a couple stereo amps on hand. I'm currently powering the Signatures with a Krell FBP 400cx, which offers 400 wpc into 8 ohms, 800 into 4 ohms, 1600 into 2 ohms. I also have a McCormack DNA-1 Special Edition, Rev. A, which I think offers 185 wpc into 8 ohms.

Now, I can probably sell the Krell for close to $4000, and presumably the McCormack would be plenty for the upper half of the Focus XD, and the $4000 could be applied to the cost of the XD. Getting the XD would also offer a lot of future flexibility with respect to amplifier choice. The only question I would have about this is, how, if at all, different would the bass of the XD be as amplified by the built-in amps of the XD vs the bass of the SE as amplified by my Krell amp. I like the idea of the XD, but I've never heard a comparison of the digital amp bass vs out board amp bass.

With respect to the Legacy Black Pearl finish, that is the finish on the set of Signature SE that I am currently auditioning. Agreed that pics don't do it justice, but here is a pic of the ones I have on hand now. Oh, one other thing about these Signatures, I've conducted the "rap the fingers test" on the enclosure and it is incredibly inert, all over the speaker. Very nice.

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
That Black Pearl in real life is stunning..It's my second favorite finish. I'm more of a wood guy, so I went with the Rosewood, and I had the grain in mine finished vertical. The horizontal finish showed the seams and just didn't do it for me. The vertical lay out has no seams and just has a richer look (IMHO). I'm going to order a set for my lobby at work and I'm thinking that may be in the Black Pearl.

If you are planning on selling the Krell then I can see why you might want a XD. If you decide to keep the Krell then the SE's will serve you very well.

What dealer are you using????

·
Registered
123 Posts
You guys have all got me excited to join the Legacy family. Can't wait to hear what these Silhouettes are made of!

Hey, welcome to the family!!!! I think you will be blown away by your Legacy's when you finally get everything all set up..:cool:

·
Registered
471 Posts
Hey, welcome to the family!!!! I think you will be blown away by your Legacy's when you finally get everything all set up..:cool:

Thanks much! I'll be 95% HT and am looking forward to hearing the Silhouette's much touted soundstage depth.

Our inaugural movie will be Jurassic Park in DTS-MA

Will post pics once they are up.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Silhouettes coming tomorrow! Going to be a glorious weekend.

·
Premium Member
11,596 Posts

Was the demo you heard of the Focus SE in the same room that you are auditioning the Signature in? Remember that bass is controlled more by the room than anything else. So hearing something in one room and hoping to have the same experience in another when it comes to bass is nearly impossible. Modal response changes from room to room and from position to position, so in the room you heard the Focus you could have been sitting in a spot that accentuated certain bass frequencies and in your room your in a dip for the same ones. The Focus and Signature can both play really low, especially if you are talking about music playback, but they can't overcome the physics of your room, only proper speaker/listener placement can help that. This is why adding a subwoofer, even to a 2-channel setup, is almost always recommended, including by Bill at Legacy, regardless of how low a speaker has the capability to play down to. With a sub you can position the low bass in a better spot in the room for the listener/speaker interaction and cross them over to the speaker. There is no better way to get full range response in a room.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Was the demo you heard of the Focus SE in the same room that you are auditioning the Signature in? Remember that bass is controlled more by the room than anything else. So hearing something in one room and hoping to have the same experience in another when it comes to bass is nearly impossible. Modal response changes from room to room and from position to position, so in the room you heard the Focus you could have been sitting in a spot that accentuated certain bass frequencies and in your room your in a dip for the same ones. The Focus and Signature can both play really low, especially if you are talking about music playback, but they can't overcome the physics of your room, only proper speaker/listener placement can help that. This is why adding a subwoofer, even to a 2-channel setup, is almost always recommended, including by Bill at Legacy, regardless of how low a speaker has the capability to play down to. With a sub you can position the low bass in a better spot in the room for the listener/speaker interaction and cross them over to the speaker. There is no better way to get full range response in a room.
No, but there were other speakers physically present in the rather large and open auditioning space. I do have a rather pronounced bass null at the listening position in my family room, which unfortunately is pretty much the only place the sofa can go, because of doors and openings into other rooms. I understand that a sub is the optimal solution, but I've also been told that even a sub may not overcome this bass null.

As to the Focus SE, this upgrade may be to my last set of speakers, and I just want them.........because!

Reactions: Kris Deering

·
Premium Member
11,596 Posts
No, but there were other speakers physically present in the rather large and open auditioning space. I do have a rather pronounced bass null at the listening position in my family room, which unfortunately is pretty much the only place the sofa can go, because of doors and openings into other rooms. I understand that a sub is the optimal solution, but I've also been told that even a sub may not overcome this bass null.

As to the Focus SE, this upgrade may be to my last set of speakers, and I just want them.........because!

I'm certainly not trying to talk you out of the Focus SE, they are fantastic (I own a pair myself), only trying to make sure you understand that when you talk about bass the room makes or breaks you. I don't know who told you that a sub may not overcome the bass null, but it certainly has the best chance of helping or completely overcoming it. If you can get an audition of a Signature in your house I can't imagine that you can't get some kind of audition of ANY subwoofer to at least try out. I know of several brands that offer worry free trials in home. Good luck!!

·
Premium Member
11,596 Posts
As always for any other readers of this thread, I am more than happy to audition the Legacy speakers I own to anyone in the Northwest region (or that want to come in from other areas!). I live about an hour out of Seattle and have a great setup. You can see my current setup in my signature but I am replacing all my surrounds (the Phantoms and the GE's) with the Silhouette Pros in the very near future (they are being built now). If interested feel free to PM me.

581 - 600 of 945 Posts