AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and started watching Legally Blonde tonight on Showtime and its not 2.35:1 like the DVD. I hope Showtime is not going away from showing its movies in HD OAR. Does anyone have any insight into this? I did a search and could not come up with a definite answer.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
That's a very interesting observation. I don't have the DVD, but according to several sites it was 2.35:1 OAR and the Showtime version, although listed as OAR, was 16:9. I've never seen this error on Showtime before. Is it possible there was also some "official" 16:9 release in addition to the 2.35:1 DVD?

Hopefully this was just a goof and doesn't represent some misguided attempt by Showtime to improve movies by altering the aspect ratio.

Joe

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I don't think something like this should be considered an error. This type of decision is probably made on a fairly high level and I wouldn't be surprised if showtime goes along with the rest of the world on cropping 2:35 HDTV material to 16x9.

Yes there was another 16x9 release of the movie. It was shown that way on Bell a few weeks ago. BEV had been showing movies in OAR most of the time but started showing more 16x9 versions of 2.35 movies lately.

bb

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
"I don't think something like this should be considered an error."

Right. "Crime" would be a more appropriate term.

Open matte sucks too. HDTV is overcompressed from the sat. providers as is. Squeezing the extra top and bottom picture data into the same constricted stream just makes a bad situation worse. Showtime had it right the first time.

Joe

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I agree OAR is best but they arent squezzing the top in bottom into an overcompressed stream... it is just using the full picture.. its not like they were using parts of the screen not intended for the HDTV Format...

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
They are squeezing more picture information therefore data into the stream then would be necessary to show the film, as it was intended to be seen in theaters; and the OAR format I believe, is what most film buffs would like to see it shown in too on teh movie channels. Doing open matte instead, could lead to problems verses an 2.35:1 oar presentation, which has less data in the stream.

It not a question of hdtv format, but the amount of compression being done to the sat hd transmissions and if the extra unneeded( unwanted) open matte picture data is going to have an detrimental technical effect on teh presentation; beyond it's just not being oar..

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Here's a real crime: I'm watching Bedazzled on HBO HD and it open's in a 2:35 :1 format and I'm like, YEAH, OAR on HBO! After the credits it goes 16:9. Bummerville.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
How could anyone watch a transition like that and still prefer the P+S? A worse one is the DVD of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Starts in 2.35:1 then abruptly goes to 4:3. It just kills the feel of the film.

Joe

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Yes I always laugh when they show the opening credits oar; becuase we all know that is the best part of the film; can't butcher those :rolleyes: :D I guess if you work in Hollywood you actually think it is :D

If they must preserve the makers names, why not theirs works in whole too...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.