AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After much anticipation I was finally able to see the director's cut last night. In my opinion it's still a mess. Many edits seem abrupt & sophomoric. The story never really comes together and is no more involving than the theatrical release. Dialogue is often horribly written, but maybe that's part of it's 80s legacy. Even the legendary Goldsmith score isn't that great and certainly isn't that superior to the Tangerine Dream soundtrack. On the plus side the transfer looks pretty good for the director's cut, but not nearly as nice on the theatrical version.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Tangerine Dream sound track maker, they are really fantatic don't you think Jay, I have 2 complete 75 minute albums of their really great music of movie sound tracks. :)

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
I've had the Goldsmith soundtrack on CD for years. It's a good score, not a great one. LEGEND is a mess of a film and nothing can turn it into EXCALIBUR or LOTR. But the director's cut does improve the film.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hob-

It seems that a lot of people dislike Tangerine Dream but I've always been a fan. I love their soundtracks for Miracle Mile (why isn't this on DVD????), Near Dark & The Keep.

Jay

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Another T D soundtrack I always liked was Thief with James Caan

Tom

·
Registered
358 Posts
I just ordered this dvd, hoping the new cut would be decent. I guess I'll have to see for myself and decide.. either way, I still like Darkness.

-sc

·
Registered
801 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by obie_fl
Another T D soundtrack I always liked was Thief with James Caan

Tom
You beat me to the punch on that one. I thought (and still think) it was

a GREAT score and complimented this (underated) film nicely.

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Ok, on Tuesday when I went looking for this release at Best Buys it wasn't out on the shelf (it is now, or so I am told). Is this not the original theater version? This is another butcher-block surprise by someone thinking the original was worthless?

I am still P.O. about the director's cut of Blade Runner, which simply, IMHO, and completely ruined the movie. Should I expect the same, here, with this release of Legend?

·
Registered
977 Posts
WanMan,

The new disc release of Legend includes both the directors cut as well as the version originally released in the U.S. Actually, the true "original" release of this film is the longer director's cut and not the 90 minute version shown in the U.S.

In any case, both are here for your enjoyment.

Howie

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Thanks, Howie. I got it this afternoon! Took advantage of the $5-off by also getting Dune (wanted The Thing, but its not out yet).

·
Registered
648 Posts
Umm, I own a copy of JC's "The Thing" is there a reissue or just a reprint?

PS I prefer the Tangerine Dream soundtrack, always have. I'm miffed that it did not get a revamped DD/DTS soundtrack like the other disc. Also the music video was in Dolby 2.0 when it should have been at least 16/44.1K PCM. No reason to downgrade the audio using compression. :(

·
Registered
977 Posts
I finally kicked back and watched this last night. Wow!...this film is a gorgeous visual treat. Is it a great film in terms of actual written content, dialogue etc.? No. This is a simple tale of good versus evil presented as a fairy tale.

The director's cut with the Jerry Goldsmith score looks very warm and richly saturated. I also watched the shorter U.S. theatrical version with the Tangerine Dream soundtrack. Unfortunately, the U.S. version is sadly lacking...the image looks very flat, and truly pale in comparison.

I'm an old fan of Tangerine Dream, and am happy to have seen them on tour. I wish there were not two existing scores, as I can't pick one over the other...they are both good.

Tim Curry looks fantastic as Darkness. I also love Robert Picardo's appearance as Meg Bucklebones. The behind the scenes featurette has many interesting interviews with cast and crew...including how the set caught fire.

Being provided with both versions here is a very interesting treat...these are two completely different films. The director's cut comes across as superior not only in editing, but color saturation as well.

Howie

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Howie,

I was the US theatrical version last night and was reminded several times by the director's sense of visuals (i.e. compared to Blade Runner). The movie did seem campy, and as such I'll have to plan to watch the Director's Cut. Maybe this will be one DC that is better than the US original!?!

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I also watched the director's cut last night, granted this was the first movie I've seen on this projector, but it was easy to notice where the reedited scenes were put back in. Picture quality definitely drops a notice or two. (or three?)

I need to watch the US version to see which I like better...though, I've always be a T-dream fan...I have Stratophere, Thief , and Cyclone on disc.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.