Feature running time: 286 minutes
Genre: TV-Comedy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.78:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Starring: Jim Jeffries, Dan Bakkedahl, DJ Qualls, Mindy Sterling, John Ratzenberger
Directed by: Peter O’Fallon & Rick Cleveland
Written by: Jim Jeffries & Peter O’Fallon
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: February 25, 2014
"He wants to help. In the worst way"

Film Synopsis:

This outrageous new comedy stars Australian Jim Jefferies as an edgy, foul-mouthed stand-up comic living in Los Angeles, struggling to make his life and career more "legit." But every time Jim tries to do the right thing, his good deeds turn into wildly inappropriate and utterly hilarious escapades. Joined by his neurotic best friend and roommate, Steve, and Steve’s wheelchair-bound brother, Billy, Jim takes comedy to a whole new level, whether it’s visiting a Las Vegas brothel, partying with the mentally-challenged or trying to pick up women at a gay bar.

My Take:

I literally knew nothing about Legit or Jim Jeffries as a standup comic going into the review of season one however I am generally open to TV comedies of its ilk so I hoped for something decent. The synopsis above is pretty much spot on in capturing the essential theme of the show. Serving as a platform for Jeffries’ comedic commentary the show revolves around him, his buddy Steve and Steve’s wheelchair bound brother, Billy. Jim has a bit of a life altering epiphany after he and Steve take Billy out on a night of “fun” at a local brothel/strip club where he has his first sexual experience. After seeing the impact it had on Billy Jim decides to ditch his life as a stand up comedian and devote himself to a more “legit” existence by helping to give Billy a more meaningful life. Of course Jim’s definition of more meaningful leaves much to be desired which lands the trio in a variety of precarious problems.

Legit runs hot and cold in terms of its comedic narrative flow. Its reliance on one up style laughs and crass humor is about what you’d expect. There are times where their misadventures and situational gags are pretty funny and others where it feels repetitive, overtly slapstick and flat. Jim Jefferies’ interjection of stand up style quips and characterizations is generally well placed and delivered. His chemistry with Dan “Steve” Bakkedahl and DJ “Billy” Qualls works really well and is truly what makes for the shows best moments. Recurring roles by Mindy Sterling and John Ratzenberger as Steve and Billy’s parents as well as a variety of celebrity cameos compliment the proceedings.

It would be fair to say that Legit has a specific target demographic and isn’t for everyone. I would say that those who like Jim Jeffries brand of comedy will probably glean more from it. As for me I warmed up to it but slowly. By the end of season one I found the farcical antics and politically incorrect situations to be chuckle worthy more often than not and wound up having a decent time with the show. Season Two aired on February 26th on the FX Channel.

The series 13 episodes (including the pilot) is spread over two BD-50 dual layer Blu-ray discs with the bulk of the bonus material found on disc 2. It comes housed in a standard amaray style keep case. Here is the season one episode breakdown:
  1. Pilot – Director’s cut
  2. Dreams
  3. Love
  4. Anger
  5. Justice
  6. Family
  7. Health
  8. Hoarders
  9. Bag lady
  10. Cuckoo’s nest
  11. Hat hair
  12. Misunderstood
  13. Fatherhood

Parental Guide:

The show contains language, sexual content and mature thematic material.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 80

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:

• Low frequency effects:

• Surround Sound presentation:

• Clarity/Detail:

• Dialogue Reproduction:

• *Low frequency extension (non-rated element): NA

Video: 82

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:

• Black level/Shadow detail:

• Color reproduction:

• Fleshtones:

• Compression:

Legit: The complete first season comes to Blu-ray from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 32 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.4 Mbps.

This high definition video presentation predominantly offers clear images that boast a noticeably de-saturated level of color. This is intentional and conveys he show’s thematic underpinnings. The rendering of fine detail can range from very good to moderate. This leaves certain long range and mid level shots with less dimensionality but not to the point of appearing soft. Black levels fluctuate similarly however with the stable contrast and subdued chroma this wasn’t problematic and worked well with the visual style of the series. I didn’t see any signs of video related artifacts/anomalies.

The multi-channel lossless audio won’t test the limits of your surround sound system but it capably delivers the elements present in the show’s soundtrack. Dialogue is tonally rich with excellent room penetration and defining clarity. Dynamic range and bass response is appropriate in support of the track’s recorded elements. The front channels handle the bulk of the audio and presents an open two dimensional soundstage with the surrounds supplying ambient detail. I think the mix mates perfectly with the source material and sounds great.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) Deleted/extended scenes – 10 minutes

• (HD) Gag reel – 15 minutes

• (HD) Jim Jeffries journey – 26 minutes

• (HD) Rodney Autotune – 2 minutes

• Audio commentaries on select episodes

Final Thoughts:

Legit is an outrageous new comedy that stars Australian Jim Jefferies as an edgy, foul-mouthed stand-up comic living in Los Angeles, struggling to make his life and career more "legit”. I found this buddy/road trip style comedy series to be fairly entertaining however those with a low tolerance for crass humor and overt politically incorrect gags/dialogue will probably want to pass. It comes to Blu-ray from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment featuring fair high definition audio/video quality and a middling supplemental package. If you’re a fan of the series you’ll want to pick this up otherwise I would suggest a rental prior to purchase or if inclined you could check it out Season Two which has begun airing on the FX channel.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector

(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal )

Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System

Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor

Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier

B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier

Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)

Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control

Canton "Ergo" Series speakers

Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers

SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)

APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector

Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling

Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

1 - 1 of 1 Posts