AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
XR-83A90J | Sonos Arc, Sub, One SL | OPPO UDP-203 | Apple TV 4K (Second Generation)
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend living in the Lehigh Valley (Hellertown) and he's looking for information regarding off-air HD reception. I would appreciate hearing input regarding his chances for success and what kind of tower/antenna would likely be necessary. Thanks...

Jim

·
Registered
73 Posts
I do not live in Hellertown, but I am very familiar with the area. I have a friend that lives there. Hellertown sits in a valley per say and I would imagine cause some problems with local foothills/mountains getting in the way. plus they are a good distance from the Philly towers 30+ miles away. My approach would be first try cheap indoor amplified antenna from Sears a Jenson it works better than radio shack amplified antennas.

·
Registered
189 Posts
If your friend can put up an outside antenna, he should be able to get the following:

WFMZ-46 from Allentown, two channels, 69-1 is their usual programming, and 69-2 is AccuWeather

WLVT-62 from Allentown, they will broadcast two or four DTv channels. 39-4 will be SDTV, as will 39-5-6-7. They should be carrying the PBS digital programming at night on 39-4, which would be widescreen SDTV or HDTV.

KYW-26 from Philadelphia - they run a lot of power (787 kW ERP) and get out very well. They carry the CBS HDTV schedule.

WPVI-64 from Philadelphia - they are the second strongest station from Philly (500 kW ERP) and atop the tower where KYW-26 is. They carry the ABC HDTV schedule.

Look also for WNJN-43 (Trenton, PBS), WTXF-42 (Philly, Fox), and WCAU-67 (Philly, NBC). These are all much weaker up that way, but you never know.

Pete Putman

www.projectorexpert.com

·
Registered
181 Posts
Are you really getting anything other than 39-1 on WLVT-DT? I'm only receiving the HD demo on -1. Since I'm getting 100% signal strength from about 30 miles away, I figured they weren't showing anything on the other channels.

Paul

·
Registered
XR-83A90J | Sonos Arc, Sub, One SL | OPPO UDP-203 | Apple TV 4K (Second Generation)
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much for your replies. This is exactly the kind of information we were hoping to get.

Jim

·
Registered
695 Posts
I live in Bethlehem Township, in the Lehigh Valley. With a rooftop antenna, I get the following channels:

WLVT Allentown (PBS)

WFMZ Allentown (local)

WPVI Philadelphia (ABC)

WKYW Philadelphia (CBS)

WTXF Philadelphia (Fox)

WCAU Philadelphia (NBC) is a complete loss. They are only operating at 25% from a side-mounted transmitter, and I've only been able to lock onto them a couple of times, and never for very long. In my mind, it's non-receivable.

Regarding WLVT and their HD schedule, they broadcast two different SD channels during the day (39-3 and 39-4) until 8:00pm. At 8:00pm, they switch over to the national HD feed on 39-1. Most of the time between 8 and 10 there is programming. But any time there isn't programming, they'll run the HD demo. Their transmission schedule is subject to change from time to time as they try new things. At one point, I was getting 5 different SD channels during the day, including PBS Kids, PBS U, two "regular" PBS feeds, and the national SD feed. Their engineering director is very good about sending out email to a list of people who are interested in keeping up with what's going on (maintenance, PSIP changes, etc.) If your friends wants to get on that mailing list, let me know and I'll give you his email address.

Can't pick up ANYTHING from NYC or NJ. However, I was able to lock onto PBS from Scranton. But with WLVT in such good shape, it isn't worth it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.