AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I taped it off Speedvision the last time they showed it, which was thankfully letterboxed, but VHS is not good enough!!!

It will probably never be released on DVD(but I can hope), so was it released on Laserdisc?? Does anyone have it?

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Not to belittle you but are you saying you still *archive* vhs vcr movies? I too use a vcr to tape late night movies, watch them to decide if I want the disc then erase them.

I am into Home Theatre, watching Vhs is not so hot next to DVD and soon HD-DVD, on my RCA F-38310JX4 Wide Screen HDTV.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hob, no offense taken! :)

Yes, I still "archive" things to vhs :( only when the DVD is not available. I seriously got into home theater a little before DVD came into existence, and laserdisc was too early for me, so here I sit. I don't own a pvr so I can't time shift or burn things to CD or DVD yet.....:D ( I did look at the DVD burners today)

BTW I did discover that Le Mans was released on laserdisc twice, in the early eighties then in the early ninties (WS). I'm hoping that maybe I can find a copy of the WS version then hook myself up with a LD player.

·
Registered
728 Posts
PF I hear ya - my VHS tape of LeMans is almost ready to be retired...

other VHS tapes I still watch (until the DVDs are released... right)

Pink Floyd La Carrera Panamericana

Grand Prix

Rendezvous (Ferrari 275 ripping up pre-dawn Paris. Tape is sped up but still cool)

In Car 956 (Derek Bell drives and narrates the world's great tracks)

Star Wars

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kedelbach, great shot on the course! Got an ace years ago, still have the ball and everything!

"In Car 956"? I'll have to find that one! I watched Grand Prix once and I've seen Driven once, no plans to watch either again. Grand Prix is alright, the movie isn't about racing, and Le Mans is about the race, summed up into one line:

"I want Porsche to win Le Mans."

I'm hoping someone will give the loving treatment given to the original Gone in 60 Seconds, which IMHO is WAY over rated, to Le Mans.

Ahh.....anamorphic, DTS/DD sound, the roar of the engines.......:p

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm not sure if you've seen it or not but there is a release of the original Gone in 60 seconds with DTS sound and a handful of extras. It should be fairly cheap too. I think I got it a Best Buy a while back for 13-14 bucks.

FWIW, I'd like to find a copy of LeMan's on LD and this In Car 956 sounds pretty interesting...

·
Registered
728 Posts
Thanks for the congrats PF - I too retired Mr. Titlist and am getting the score card framed with some grabs from the video.

http://www.dukevideo.com/products/3526.htm

Read this cracking description of In Car 956 - much better than anything I can say... looks like Duke only carries the PAL version though - here is one place that had it in NTSC:

http://www.motorsportcollector.com/VIDTop10.html

Can't remember where I got my copy, but I know I didn't pay $39.95!

Also lucked out on Rendezvous and got a copy from my brother.

Yeah I skipped Driven after a huge thumbs down from dear old dad, Grand Prix I like cause its 70mm, has many racing greats in it, and 66-67 were the pinnacle of F1 racing IMO (no sponsors, no aerodynamics, no seatbelts, crappy tires, ~400hp...)

I agree with you 100% on LeMans.

BTW - Amazon has a great deal on Grand Prix and Lemans:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...466593-8772763

damn Amazon.... I can't visit that site without dropping $50.... Now I've got Grand Prix coming along with 5 books :) you know those things made of paper and ink?

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I'd have to agree that racing isn't what it used to be.... :)

Today's drivers wouldn't even consider doing what race car drivers did in times past. "Oooh it's too fast" :D

If I want to watch a movie about racing I watch Le Mans, to me Grand Prix is a soap opera set to a background of racing, just like Driven. If I wanted to watch a movie about who is sleeping with who I would watch Sex in the City or something like it.

I would love to get a pre-recorded tape of Le Mans, but no one sells the WS version :(

Have you read A French Kiss with Death? I haven't yet but I probably will.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I too have a dvd wish list with "Le Mans" at the top.

When I was a kid, I went to a car show where they had a rather tatty 917 on display. The owner got a few of us kids together, and started it up for us.

I have _never_ felt such a pure expression of unleashed fury in my life. I've since heard that the BRM at full chat approached it...

Another tape that I am close to wearing out is "A High Wind in Jamaica". I've raced on tall ships just because of that movie. (Being kidnapped by pirates, (Emily thinks "Pilots"; she may be right...), is just not all that possible these days...)

I also have the Floyd tape; I'm of mixed minds about it, even after repeated viewings. But Nick Mason is the real thing: he actually raced his 250GTO.

Then there are the racing movies that I loathed- "Redline 7000" comes to mind, as well as "A Man and a Woman". Soap and racing just don't mix. As the owner of the rather tatty 917 referenced above apparently believed...

·
Registered
728 Posts
pf - thanks for reminding me about French Kiss - Just ordered a used copy from Amazon :)

APG - check out Nick Mason's book "Into the Red". The UK version comes with a CD with 20 clips of great auto sound clips. One of them is a 1953 BRM V16 - listened to it last night.... WOW. What music! Others include Maser 250F, 250GTO, D-Type, etc. All of which Mason owns or owned I believe.

The PC game Grand Prix Legends lets you drive the loony '67 BRM H16 (two stacked flat 8s). You can download mp3s of the cars to replace the adequate but nothing-spectacular sounds that come with the game:

http://www.sportplanet.com/gpl/html/sounds/sounds.htm

Mason let his wife Annette race his McLaren F1 GTR up the driveway at the '00 Festival of Speed. He drove the 512S & 250GTO. Nice! If you like these cars (sounds like you do!) do yourself a huge favor and get over to the UK for the FOS. I was there in '00 with my father and brother and will never forget it. At least as good as the Monterey Historics.

Stay at the Buncton Manor Farm, a 15th century moated farmhouse now a B&B. 11th century church in the field behind, only $150/night, including a spectacular English breakfast. About 45 minute drive through unbelievably scenic English countryside. On our way there one morning we got passed by a replica Ferrari P4 and 3 E-Type Jags in formation. Call Chris and Nancy at (01903) 812736

Just take a look at the cars there in '00:

http://64.225.195.108/PDF/fos/FF_times2000.pdf

You can walk all through the paddock, talk to most of the drivers, and practically lean over the mechanics shoulders while they tune these pieces of art on wheels.

The image of Martin Stretton six-wheel drifting the Tyrrell P34 is burned into my brain. If you want to see the clip look here in the "SHO video clips" folder:

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/kedelbach

Clip called "Elf short" - wait till you here this sound!

The 917 is one of my all time favs too : )

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ahh 917.....:eek:

I've caught the FOS on speedvision for several years now, I plan to go at some point.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Mr. Kedelbach;

Thank you for all that _wonderful_ information. Yes, I do like these cars, but I'm not in that league. I do have a (now) tatty '61 250GTE that I finished restoration(ahem years ago...) on and showed for a while, but I could never get up the nerve to actually take it on course during the Monterey historics.

Amazon UK does list "Into the Red" as in print; I'm going to have to get a relative pick up and ship me a copy.

Thanks again!

apg

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
My buddies car was a Le Mans and I had a Plymouth Belvidere, don't laugh that big bug could do 111 floored! 160 M.P.H. as a passenger while the special SUN Speedometer/Tachommeter read 160 M.P.H.. Watching the gasoline tank needle go down 1/4, good old 1967 Gran Turismo Omalagata with a 3..2 Barrel carb set up.:)

·
Registered
728 Posts
wait a minute APG, you mean to tell me you have one of these:

http://www.montecito-motors.com/img/...TE/webside.jpg

http://www.montecito-motors.com/img/...0GTE/inter.jpg

I think it also looks quite nice in blue:

http://www.modenamotors.com/Inventor...TE/1324-00.jpg

Cheers to you!! Hey if it was perfect you'd be afraid to drive it! So much character, class, and that V12.... I love Ferraris - if the 308GTBsi were a little more curvaceous it'd be at the top of my list... but then it'd likely be priced out of my range...

For "Most Titillating Sheetmetal" honors I have to put the E-type roadster #1 - my dad restored a '63 and I still harbor resentments over its sale (before I was old enough o drive it :mad: )

Hey if you ever feel the need to "upgrade" your GTE consider these:

http://www.finesportscar.com/Ferrari250SWB.html
http://www.finesportscar.com/CaliforniaSpyder.html

You're welcome for the info - big thanks go to my father for digging up the little tidbits that make pilgrimages to Goodwood, Monterey, and the Nürburgring all the more special... plan ahead and its cheaper than you might think.

Kurt

1 round trip ticket to Dusseldorf: $300

3 days BMW rental: $60/day

3 nights stay at Döttinger Höhe Hotel: $450

10 lap tickets at the Ring: $100

gas: $250

In car video of you sawing the wheel through the Karussel, experiencing weightlessness over Flugplatz, and dropping two wheels off through Brünnchen..... PRICELESS

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
O.K., I've asked this question before, but let me ask again - was the 250 GTO in the opening scene of Vanilla Sky real?

·
Registered
728 Posts
Mr. Kedelbach;

My 250GTE is more like the second (blue) car; no hood strip, no fog lights, (The ones on that car are aftermarket, if you look very closely at the grill surround, you can see where the factory lights would be mounted.), and small trim rings on the headlights.

On my car, the side vents are chromed. At SN 2241GT, I seem to have the 37th one made. The dash is similar to the early GTs- painted in black crinkle-finish, with ancilliary gauges mounted lower. The later versions moved them up to make space for the optional (shudder) air conditioning.

The original color on my car was a darker blue metallic, but the color is now quite similar to the first car- a very light blue metallic.

The story of the rebodied Ferraris is quite interesting, it started with a Swiss firm making mock 250GTOs on the 250GTE frame. The company did such a good job, that at least one car was passed off as the real thing. Needless to say, Ferrari was not amused.

The owner of the company was murdered, and his stock of cars disappeared. Other companies have sprung up over the years to make mock Ferraris. Most of them have failed, but _none_ of them have made the foolish mistake of trying to make another GTO.

(The California Spyder that went flying in "Ferris Bueller" was a poor American V8 repro.)

At times, I have looked into moving up to something like a 365GT or a 400i, but I have resisted. There is something purer about the Colombo 3L V12 series of cars. I wouldn't mind a 250 Lusso...

Just before I bought the Ferrari, I had a Citroen SM. I nearly bought an XKE instead. The XKE was going for $3500. I paid $5k for the SM; it was in _much_ better condition. (I could have gotten a 250GTE for about the same amount of money.) Then the car market went crazy. I sold the SM for $6500 and bought the GTE for $12K.

Ah, to be young again, with a freshly restored Ferrari... (BTW, girls weren't the _least_ bit interested in 18 year old Ferrari coupes...)

·
Registered
728 Posts
:) APG

Sounds like you have fun with your cars... hell anybody who buys a Citroen has to have a sense of humor :)

Good luck with your 250!

I heard somewhere that the rule of thumb for Ferrari engines is figure $1500 per cylinder to have it rebuilt...

In early May I was at Summit Point Raceway in WV with my Taurus SHO club (don't laugh, they can actually hustle around the track pretty good! One fearless friend put a supercharger on for over 400 hp at the [front] wheels. Scary!).

A father/son team that day was pounding their 400i (auto trans) all day long. I think they had the biggest grins of anybody there - then they drove their 20 year old F-car home... gotta love it!

Last night watched the first half of Grand Prix for the first time through my XW 15 projector... wow great racing footage. Really hard to appreciate all the widescreen action on a 27" TV....

Sure hot, teenage, brainless girls may not be impressed with a classic Ferrari, but I know plenty of sophisticated, sexy ladies who would turn into butter at the sound of that V12!

ciao

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ditto for early and late 901 body style Porsches :( It seems all they like is rice......Oh well if they can't appreciate the cars I don't need them :D

1 - 20 of 93 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.