AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been asked before (I searched).

Is there a practical limit to the length of optical cable that I use to connect my DVD player to my receiver? I found one that is 50' long, which would be really convenient for my setup, but I don't know if it would work effectively. Does the brand make a big difference? If so, what brand should I go with?

Thanks for any help

Phil

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by M Code
Max length should be no more than 12'.
Ok, thanks MCode. Is this limit based on tests that have been performed, or is there some theoretical basis for it? Not questioning its validity, just trying to educate myself :).

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
12' is generally considered about the max, the variables that affect this are:

1. Cable type, including cost, quality

2. Available lite output from optical emitter in source product

Both above points directly affect the actual available optical brightness and eventually as this decreases then the digital stream will be harder to keep locked in. When the briteness decreases then the DSP can fall out resulting in unacceptible dropouts.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again.

Now I'm going to ask the rest of my question (although it may be a little off topic): I have a projector that is about 33' away from my receiver, and I want to connect the projector to a DVD player using DVI. I could put the DVD player near the receiver, which would mean a short optical cable but a long DVI cable. Alternatively, I could put the DVD player near the projector, which would mean longer optical and short DVI. The question is, where is the best balance? 12' optical leaves 20' DVI, which is pushing the limits of the DVI cable. Is 12' optical and 20' DVI a good combination?

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
You will need a DVI repeater for anything over 25' for the DVI cable

Fiber optics can go very far. Just look for a quality one made from glass, not plastic, and polished ends. Avoid sharp turns. Keep it straight as possible. Less internal breakage and bleed off of light that way. Telephone companies use fiberoptics to transmit for MILES. (although their equipment is a bit more advanced.)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just to add my $.02 here, I am getting a new PJ and need a long DVI cable. I am actually getting a 30' DVI cable from the manufacturer (InFocus). I would suggest that you go with a longer DVI cable.

JL

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JL: I could get a 10m DVI cable from VInc, but I'm a little worried about it. Some people have had no problems with 30', but others have had problems. How sure are you that the InFocus 30' cable is good? Has anyone tried it?

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DigitalGriffin
Fiber optics can go very far. Just look for a quality one made from glass, not plastic, and polished ends. Avoid sharp turns. Keep it straight as possible. Less internal breakage and bleed off of light that way. Telephone companies use fiberoptics to transmit for MILES. (although their equipment is a bit more advanced.)
The optical emitter in a DVD player costs

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.