AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on having a 50ft run of HDMI. Will that be too long and sacrifice video clarity at all? Plan on using it with the in wall coupling that plugs in.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
HDMI is digital and unlike analogue you don’t lose ‘clarity’ when you go long – you potentially hit a cliff face and the signal either drops out, flashes or is plagued by flashing dots.

At 50’ you are on the edge of acceptable limits for many combinations of Source, passive HDMI cable and Sink (TV, Projector or AVR).

Adding unnecessary couplings only ever makes things worse.

Run wide bore conduit, run your long HDMI cable and run 1 or 2 CAT6 cables as your backup should your system not want to function over the long HDMI cable.

Joe

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
At 25' you are well within the capabilities of any High Speed cable so far less likely to hit any problems - though the advise re conduit and CAT6 and even a spare HDMI cable still stands.

HDMI cables can be fragile so never fit and forget - always plan for the worst.

Joe

·
Registered
17,965 Posts
Pick up the mantra again: conduit-CAT6-conduit-CAT6-conduit-CAT6

Seriously, you'll thank yourself later on if you take the time, and initial expense, to use conduit and at least run a CAT-6 in there.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I'm planning on replacing my projector with one of the Sony 4K units. My setup includes a 30 foot HDMI run from my Marantz 8801 pre amp to the projector. I'm thinking of running an additional HDMI cable to be ready for a 4K source since I'm guessing I'll have to bypass the Marantz and go straight to the Sony projector should a 4K source appear - or if I decide to get Sony's 4K "puck." Am I thinking along the right lines? Should I also run 1 or 2 CAT6 cables? Would the Monoprice Redmere cables be a good choice for this install?

·
Registered
17,965 Posts
A 30' Redmere cable would certainly work but if the chipset in the sink end ever craps out, replacing it would be a pain. I'm assuming this is an in-wall installation? My recommendation for any in-wall installation would be to run conduit with CAT-6. A second cable wouldn't be a bad idea for future use or you could just install a pull-string in case you wanted to route another cable in the future.

·
Registered
845 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot  /t/1522230/length-of-hdmi#post_24480111

A 30' Redmere cable would certainly work but if the chipset in the sink end ever craps out, replacing it would be a pain. I'm assuming this is an in-wall installation? My recommendation for any in-wall installation would be to run conduit with CAT-6. A second cable wouldn't be a bad idea for future use or you could just install a pull-string in case you wanted to route another cable in the future.

Thanks. Should I run 2 CAT-6 cables or one? And...CAT-6 or 6A? I have a BJC Belden Series One HDMI cable - it's pretty thick, should I use port savers with it?

·
Registered
17,965 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL5  /t/1522230/length-of-hdmi/0_20#post_24481155

Thanks. Should I run 2 CAT-6 cables or one? And...CAT-6 or 6A? I have a BJC Belden Series One HDMI cable - it's pretty thick, should I use port savers with it?

If you've got the space in the conduit running two cables for future use that wouldn't be a bad idea. A little expensive but I think worth it. I'd still install a pull-string along with your cable(s) just in case. I don't know the difference between 6 and 6a so someone else will have to respond to that. I just used CAT-6 for my 70' run. One cable with a pull string. I used my CAT-6 run as an ethernet extension from the router to the HTS (gigabit switch, ethernet to devices, Redmere cables to receiver/tv). If you use CAT-6(a) to carry your a/v signal to your devices (as opposed to just ethernet) you'll probably have to use an HDBase-T connection and someone else with experience with that will have to jump in here for proper advice. I like using Redmere cables because they are so thin and flexible there is absolutely no strain on the HDMI inputs, and they lay easier behind your equipment. However, they can fail because of the chipset. Mine have been fine for quite awhile now but that's not to say they can't so keep that in mind. The nice thing about using them though for the "last mile", as it were, is that they would be a lot easier to replace and trouble shoot if they the last thing to connect to your devices as opposed to being in the wall or some very tight place.

·
Registered
7,073 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot  /t/1522230/length-of-hdmi#post_24474235

Pick up the mantra again: conduit-CAT6-conduit-CAT6-conduit-CAT6
This is the mantra, this is the rule, this is the path.

CAT-6 STP is best. Otherwise, Cat-6 is acceptable. Monoprice has some decent pre-fab Cat-6STP cables available for a fair price which I've had good results with.

It is best to run no less than two passive HDMI cables and two CAT-6STP cables. Run 1.25" (or larger) conduit between your equipment location and the display location if at all possible.

I have personally used HDMI cables with 1080p content at 75' without issue using the Monoprice 22AWG cable. It works well and has proven reliable. I use it point to point, no wall plates or anything between. Source, cable, display. Still, that 75' HDMI cable has a couple of pieces of cat-5/6 sitting right next to it, just in case.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have gone to 50 feet with cheap HDMI, the wire gauge is thicker and the cable only cost $40 on a cheap HTPC.

If you go further on HDMI, I would suggest a good brand like Monoprice as suggested.

·
Registered
17,965 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by james50  /t/1522230/length-of-hdmi/0_20#post_24500342

I have gone to 50 feet with cheap HDMI, the wire gauge is thicker and the cable only cost $40 on a cheap HTPC.

If you go further on HDMI, I would suggest a good brand like Monoprice as suggested.

50' for a passive HDMI cable is really pushing it. But if it works for what you a sending across it, then that's fine. For runs that long, a lot of people like to do in-wall installations in which case an HDMI cable is not really recommended and CAT-6 would be the way to go.

·
Registered
7,073 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot  /t/1522230/length-of-hdmi#post_24500471

50' for a passive HDMI cable is really pushing it. But if it works for what you a sending across it, then that's fine. For runs that long, a lot of people like to do in-wall installations in which case an HDMI cable is not really recommended and CAT-6 would be the way to go.
I recommend a 50' 22AWG Monoprice plus 2 Cat-6STP cables from Monoprice as well. The price is significantly less than any quality HDBT solution (right now) and I have had (not joking) 100% success with at least 30 different installations using this setup with 1080p/24/3D (frame packed) as well as 1080p/60 from my Dell laptop.

I have heard plenty of horror stories (here and elsewhere) of people running into issues, but it all seems to be with different cables than this. Under 100 bucks, this is a really great solution with a lower potential for issue than cables which aren't as good.

It's hard for a lot of people to understand just how reliable these Monoprice 22AWG cables are at those distances. I've been pleasantly surprised by them for about 8 or 9 years now (since about a month or two after they opened their online doors)... Still, I swear by the Parts Express HDMI cables under 6' in length. Way better option, IMO, than Redmere.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts