AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Should be good provided you don't need blu-ray right away.

Pros: More capable CPU, better looking case.

Cons: Greater power consumption, more heat, no BD drive option.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Sure not a HTPC killer. To me, it is a non-BD HTPC. If you don't need BD and don't want to bother to build one, I suppose it is okay. I personally prefer to build one to suit my need and not to mention more fun during the building progress. .

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
G43 does not support full HA for H.264/VC-1/MPEG-2. Bad choice for HD contents.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Not bad little device for someone that wants something easy to use and have no need for blue ray. But how much HDD space does it have? How upgradeable? I'm guessing it's built with laptop parts. It's hard to tell from the pics on site.

·
Registered
112 Posts
From reading the specs you could probably replace the slimline DVD player with a bluray. But the largest HDD you can get with it is a 650gb. I would hope you could replace that as well. The TV tuner also needs to be replaced. Otherwise it looks ok.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i went ahead and bought a Acer Aspire AX1700-U3700A from woot for $300 ; i think the acer is more powerful?? easier to upgrade??

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Intel GMA graphics means this thing won't be killing anything any time soon. They could always add a BD-ROM as an option, but a proper GPU would require a complete board redesign. This is going nowhere fast.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I'm waiting see the first modded q700's... for BD, larger HDD, etc. If it turns out that this thing can easily be modded and handle every HD video format we throw at it, I might have to grab one myself.

I must say that their choice of GPU is a complete letdown...

·
Registered
3,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by candre23 /forum/post/17000426

Intel GMA graphics means this thing won't be killing anything any time soon. They could always add a BD-ROM as an option, but a proper GPU would require a complete board redesign. This is going nowhere fast.

Exactly. I'm hoping the new Dell zinio HD will have a better chipset in it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I ordered a Q700 few days ago. Estimated ship date is 8/27, so it may take a while to get here from China. I'll post my impressions when I get it. I plan to use it with a small HDTV on the kitchen counter. I had planned to use an MP45-DR as the HTPC, but the MP45 seems to fry hard drives. Other than than, the MP45 was more than adequate for the recording and playback job (with two atsc tuners installed). So, I suspect that the Q700, with similar specs, will be good enough for kitchen counter duty. (I'm also building a more powerful HTPC using the Antec MicroFusion 350 case, for use in the family room.)

Here are the specs for the Q700: do a Google search on "qseries_techspecs_080409.pdf". I cannot put the URL in this post, since I am a new member, and I need to do three posts before I am allowed to put a URL in a post!

Full Disclosure: I retired from IBM, and Lenovo bought the IBM ThinkPad business.

·
Registered
379 Posts
They could have built it with a mini ITX board based on a 780G or 8200 chipset, instead it's just another gimmick masked as an HTPC.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'd be interested in your feedback.

·
Registered
11 Posts
GoIBM--I'd be interested in your feedback after you try out the Q700.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts