AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're not very good about lens capping the projector around here. Consequently, there appears to be a layer of grunge built up on it that's going to require a little more than a soft cloth. I'm worried about using anything harsh, though; I don't want to mess up whatever optical coating might be there. Suggestions, please?
Oh - if it matters, it's a Panasonic projector.

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
We're not very good about lens capping the projector around here. Consequently, there appears to be a layer of grunge built up on it that's going to require a little more than a soft cloth. I'm worried about using anything harsh, though; I don't want to mess up whatever optical coating might be there. Suggestions, please?
Oh - if it matters, it's a Panasonic projector.
It's a lens.. same thing you would use to "properly" clean a camera lens or binoculars, or eye glasses. Stop by the local camera shop .. if those still exist..
BTW nothing that is on the surface of the lens will ever show up in the image, it is to far from the focal point of the lens.

·
Banned
3,903 Posts
It's a lens.. same thing you would use to "properly" clean a camera lens or binoculars, or eye glasses. Stop by the local camera shop .. if those still exist..
BTW nothing that is on the surface of the lens will ever show up in the image, it is to far from the focal point of the lens.
Yes, but specs on the surface WILL cause image degradation in the form of blurriness. This is undeniable. This is why if you get dust blobs they will show up on the projected image as large, diffuse blurs. And those aren't on the outer lens, but somewhere in the light path. In my w1070 I had to clean about 4 surfaces, including 3 lenses, to remove all the dust blobs. I only have one left and it's barely visible but I can tell the blurriness is there in that area.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yes, but specs on the surface WILL cause image degradation in the form of blurriness. This is undeniable. This is why if you get dust blobs they will show up on the projected image as large, diffuse blurs. And those aren't on the outer lens, but somewhere in the light path. In my w1070 I had to clean about 4 surfaces, including 3 lenses, to remove all the dust blobs. I only have one left and it's barely visible but I can tell the blurriness is there in that area.
So what did you use to clean the lense?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yes. If the matrice is not sharp you have a dirty lens.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts