AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my 1031q open for some maintenance, dropped the lens assembly and wiped the back side (closest to crt) of the lenses with some dry lens tissue. After reinstalling I can't seem to get the focus as good as it was prior. These are the HD6 lenses.

Did I do a bad thing?

Any know repairs?

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
112 Posts
Are you concerned that you scratched the lens by cleaning it the "wrong" way or that dropping the lens caused one of the elements within the lens to move?

I'd say if it doesn't look the same, something has happened. Did you try comparing a good lens with the suspect one?

I believe that model lens can be disassembled, but let's wait for an expert to chime in.

shoot

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm concerned that I scratched them, I can see faint lines on the lenses. I did not physically drop them, i simply meant lowered them from the projector.

As for comparing them, no I did this to all three.

Thanks.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hi Jim

It is more likely that poor focus is caused by the lens not mounted

fully snug or slightly cocked than scratches on the lens surface. I

cleaned my HD-8 lenses with camera lens tissue and Eastman

lens cleaning fluid. All three had circular scratches on the front

and rear elements afterward. It did not cause any problems with

focus. I now use a compressed air can and the microfiber Ultra Cloth

(from Leland Inc.) to clean the lenses.

DH

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm pretty sure they're properly mounted as I never removed them from the mounting bracket (which holds all three) and the bracket is securely screwed to the chassis, although it's work double checking.

If I find that they are not located properly I will report back.

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
9,787 Posts
Hey,

A cleaned lens is often a damaged one. But, it sounds like something else in your case. As, I have lenses in varying condition and it never causes distortion that I can notice looking at the screen.

-Brian

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
to avoid shopping for lenses stay away from using a amonia based cleaner , because the first time you do you will leave a haze on the face that can,t be removed from some brands of lenses , especially plastic ones .......

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Jimnahas:

Once you remove your lenses and re-install them they will most likely NOT return to their original position. So you will find that the mechanical focus will need to be re-done,as well as, convergence and maybe geometry.

If you were so driven to clean your lenses then you are probably also picky enough to just redo your set-up to get the best out of your projector.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's amazing how a slight shift in lens position can affect focus. I suppose that since I was re-installing the lens mount to the projector on the ceiling that gravity prevented me from getting it all the way in place, if only by cm's. After removing and reinstalling them (and pushing harder) I seem to have gotten them better aligned and the focus is much better (and like before).

p.s. This started because I did not think the green lens was an HD-6 (someone had replace the small trim ring on the front before I became the owner) and I had an HD6 to replace it with. Once I got the assembly down I was able to see the label on the side and it was infact an HD-6. All for naught.

Thanks for all your inputs.

Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.