AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can buy a second hand Proskar 16mm anamorphic lens in very good condition for $75, is this a good lens to do constant height on my Sanyo Z4 projector? Will it work for 4.3, 1.85 and scope by leaving the lens inplace all the time as the projector is ceiling mounted?

Its nice and small so I feal its cleaner than some of the prisim setups Ive seen on here. Do people use this type of lens for constant height? :confused:

·
Banned
946 Posts
I seriously doubt it is going to work. Many members have tried and tested and have not come up with results that are encouraging.

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
Film lenses can work if you have additional (outboard) scalers to further horizontally compress the image. Film lenses are 2:1 stretch where video are 1.33:1 stretch...

I also have a 16mm film lens (though I don't use it for HT, but rather a prims based HE lens) and It is tricky to get a good image without a proper bracket. Does the lens include one? If not I would suggest buying one as well...

Mark

·
Premium Member
16,962 Posts
Scope lens meant for film will work but has a few downsides.

The one you are mentioning for 16mm has a very small aperture and most likely will not work with your projector unless you have a very long throw and zoom the image to its smallest size. You will also find more chromatic aberration from these lens when used with video projectors.

As Mark mentioned the image will be to wide so you will need a scaler to resize the image in the center of the lens:)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gouger
Scope lens meant for film will work but has a few downsides.

The one you are mentioning for 16mm has a very small aperture and most likely will not work with your projector unless you have a very long throw and zoom the image to its smallest size. You will also find more chromatic aberration from these lens when used with video projectors.

As Mark mentioned the image will be to wide so you will need a scaler to resize the image in the center of the lens:)
Ok thanks so much for that info guys, I think I wont buy the lens as I dont want to use a scaler and not looking for new problems too!

Well can you tell me whats best for my Z4 if Im to purchase something new? I really would like something clean and small infront of the Z4 as my whole setup is in the lounge with motorised screen. I really dont like the bulk of the prisim type boxs Ive seen on some pictures on here. Is there anything smaller and neater than them without using a scaler?

Whatever you suggest can it remain inplace all the time for all ratios as I dont want to move it being ceiling mounted?

If thats the case is the ZOOM control on the projector left on all the time for each of the 3 ratios?

Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
Panamorph is probably one of the smaller video lens adaptors on the market that can work well and can be left in front all the time. All your sources need to be anamorphically enhanced and then you simply use 4 x 3 normal + the lens for 16:9 and 4 x 3 zoom + lens for 21:9. It as as simple as that, CIH with two ARs just using the projector's remote to switch between them...

As for your zoom (if you taking lens zoom) it is set and forget...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&post5967215

Mark

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX
Panamorph is probably one of the smaller video lens adaptors on the market that can work well and can be left in front all the time. All your sources need to be anamorphically enhanced and then you simply use 4 x 3 normal + the lens for 16:9 and 4 x 3 zoom + lens for 21:9. It as as simple as that, CIH with two ARs just using the projector's remote to switch between them...

As for your zoom (if you taking lens zoom) it is set and forget...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&post5967215

Mark
Thanks for that Mark,

With that setup do you have to ever change anything for switching formats on the panamorph its-self after the initial setup?

What do you do for showing old 4.3 movies?

Where is the best place to buy these lenses at the best price?

Any place you know of that has a reliable sorce second hand?

many thanks

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray1080
Thanks for that Mark,
your welcome:)

Quote:
With that setup do you have to ever change anything for switching formats on the panamorph its-self after the initial setup?
That's actually another member's set up, mine is here is post 14 of the same thread.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&post6286834

Quote:
What do you do for showing old 4.3 movies?
Since my lens is a DIY (I've since built a new 4 prism lens), I have been able to modify it to allow a "pass through" mode, where before I could not watch 4 x 3 programs without them being stretched. The way I've got it rigged now, I reach up and turn the front prism...I am going back to the plastic's guy and get a hinge and a small plate glued to make this easier...

Quote:
Where is the best place to buy these lenses at the best price?
Right here at AVS:)

Quote:
Any place you know of that has a reliable sorce second hand?
many thanks[/quote]

There might be on EBAY :) Why would anyone sell their anamorphic lens anyway? Once you get bit by the CIH bug there is no cure...

Mark

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since my lens is a DIY (I've since built a new 4 prism lens), I have been able to modify it to allow a "pass through" mode, where before I could not watch 4 x 3 programs without them being stretched. The way I've got it rigged now, I reach up and turn the front prism...I am going back to the plastic's guy and get a hinge and a small plate glued to make this easier...

Looks like this is not going to be easy for my setup I think trying to also watch 4.3 films in the correct ratio.

My projector is ceiling mounted and the centre of the lens is 9ft from the floor, a bit hard to reach up to turn a front prism without a ladder!

What are your thoughts for me to get the (3) different ratios CORRECTLY without ladders etc?

Are any edges of the image removed for any of the ratios with these setup?

cheers

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
There come a time when some compromise must be reached. I still want to get a video scaler to horizontally squeeze 4 x 3 material, but because it is currently out of reach for me, I modified my lens.

I did ask myself how offensive is the 33% stretched 4 x 3 program, and was happy to put up with it until my girlfriend complained about some music video chick looking fat. I then decided that I need to look at the problem and fix it...

The compromise is just that, how much $$$ are you prepared to spend? The fixed lens solution gives two ARs not three. Removing the lens or adding a scaler is the only way to get the full control...

Mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.