AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
23,032 Posts
Sad. RIP to a great guitarist and innovator. Up until Sirius/XM took Beyond Jazz off the air I would hear the weekly announcements of him playing at Irridium(?) in NYC.

larry

·
Registered
22,494 Posts
Les practically invented the electric guitar and amp as we know it. His innovations in hardware, and in recording hardware and technique shaped the entire industry. When he saw a need for some little gizmo to put between his guitar and amp, he invented one. The list of stuff he created is long, and resulted in things like reverb, fuzz, etc.

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i and many others owe les a huge debt of gratitude.

i bought both my first quad multitrack reel to reel machine, a sony, and first electric guitar (not a les paul, i'm sorry to say) back in '73. and those two items, in one form/make or another, have stuck with me to this day.

thanks ever so much, mr. paul.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
rip les...

a heckuva run...

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
 LP ALBUMS . CLICK ON TITLE. IF EACH SONG TITLE HAS 'FULL TRACK' AFTER IT IT SHOULD PLAY, IF NOT IT WON'T.

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
One of the all-time great "innovators." Thanks for all you did, Les, and rest in peace.

·
Premium Member
3,174 Posts
Jako dies and we get a week of 24/7 coverage including the memorial etc. Les Paul dies and you almost have to google to find anything about him in the news. Yet without Les, rock and roll and likely Jacko would never have come along.

RIP Les and thanks.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Les Paul was a true maestro and mad scientist, all wrapped up into one. If you have seen any footage of him playing, whether it was from the late 40's and into the 50's, all the way to just recently, you will know why he is so revered.

I remember watching a documentary on him a few years ago. There was a lot of clips of him playing in the 1950's. He was the original "shred master". He was all over the fretboard, playing at light speed, looking straight ahead, never looking at what he was playing. Now, there are a ton of players today who play lightning fast but few can play as tasteful as Les.

Every guitar player that ever lived that plays a solid body guitar owes a great deal of gratitude to Les Paul. I know it's cliche, but without him, music today would not be what it is. Whether it's Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Alex Lifeson or some kid practicing scales in his/her bedroom, we all owe a big thank you to Mr. Paul...Will

·
Registered
2,982 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK /forum/post/17001303

One of the all-time great "innovators."

Yeah, I was in the dark as far as what this man was responsible for creating in the world of music, sound, recording, etc...

I always thought the guy was responsible for creating a guitar that everyone fell in love with, but had no idea that he was responsible for so much more.

Even though it was mainly in the music industry, the man's accomplishments for invention should rank up their with Edison, Tesla, Enrico Fermi, etc...(even though their inventions had a much wider impact on the world at large).

Truly lost a great man, who has not received the recognition he should. At least in the press.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.