AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so here's my question. when i watch a dvd or bluray i get insane bass, but....if i'm watching cable tv (hdtv or otherwise) i just do not get the same bass output. why is this?? /anyone know?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I've noticed significant differences in bass content depending on the channel watched. Generally, the newer HD specific, educational, and pay (HBO...) channels seem to have a lot more bass than the older network broadcasts.

HD Net, Palladia, and Discovery are really bass heavy for me via FIOS - so much so that I tend to turn the bass down a bit, particularly when listening at lower volume levels.

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
Then satillite companies clam that they have better video and audio then cable. What is best?

Bill

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
I have Directv HD and some channels have bass and some don't. That's just the way it is. Foodtv has good bass. Almost all the HD channels have decent bass. XM radio has good bass too. Over the air, cable, and satillite tv will never have the same bass as a DVD or Blu. Those are reference materials.

·
Registered
4,394 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hksvr4 /forum/post/16961811

I have Directv HD and some channels have bass and some don't. That's just the way it is. Foodtv has good bass. Almost all the HD channels have decent bass. XM radio has good bass too. Over the air, cable, and satillite tv will never have the same bass as a DVD or Blu. Those are reference materials.

I now have Comcast HD and am not really happy with the quality of the vid and will go to Direct TV this Saturday. I hope that the SQ is the same or better and that the advertising of videio lives up to what they are saying about BluRay quality video. Any insight into this?

Bill

·
Registered
8,482 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 /forum/post/16962079

I now have Comcast HD and am not really happy with the quality of the vid and will go to Direct TV this Saturday. I hope that the SQ is the same or better and that the advertising of videio lives up to what they are saying about BluRay quality video. Any insight into this?

Bill

I had DISH years ago and I had problems when it rained. Very frustrating.

The real deal according to those who have tried it is OTA.

Too bad not many stations OTA.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 /forum/post/16962079

Bill

I have no issue with directv. It's great. HD channels look amazing expecially 2009 programs on Discovery, History, Animinal, Science, Foodtv, and regular stations. Even over the air HD channels can't come close to directv PQ. Some looks like blu-ray. Sound quality is also good. I would not switch to any other carrier.

·
Registered
8,482 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hksvr4 /forum/post/16962183

I have no issue with directv. It's great. HD channels look amazing expecially 2009 programs on Discovery, History, Animinal, Science, Foodtv, and regular stations. Even over the air HD channels can't come close to directv PQ. Some looks like blu-ray. Sound quality is also good. I would not switch to any other carrier.

Simply because your experience with OTA isn't as good as Direct TV doesn't mean that OTA has the purest signal. I think there are scientific reasons that OTA will always have the edge.

Think about it. Cable and satellite have to beam the signal from earth to the satellite and send it back down.

I wonder how much MPEG compression there is with satellite?

Unless someone can prove otherwise, OTA has the best picture quality available because it doesn't have to go around the block and back. Exactly where do you think the satellite companies get their signal?

Reception is another matter. If you are in a bad location or don't have a good enough antenna, that is another matter.

I am only reporting what the people in the know are saying.

Put simply how can any other source improve on the broadcast signal? That is what cable, FIOS, and satellite have to deal with. Rebroadcasting the OTA image (and sound), where it exists.

·
Registered
6,779 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/16962320

...Unless someone can prove otherwise, OTA has the best picture quality available because it doesn't have to go around the block and back. Exactly where do you think the satellite companies get their signal?

Theoretically true when the full bandwidth is devoted to a single OTA HD channel.

Not true when multiple sub-channels are used.

·
Registered
8,482 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by petergaryr /forum/post/16962367

Theoretically true when the full bandwidth is devoted to a single OTA HD channel.

Not true when multiple sub-channels are used.

Even so, cable, and satellite still have to draw on the OTA signal, unless you are saying that the OTA sources are providing a better image to cable and satellite, but not providing the same quality signal OTA.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/16962400

Even so, cable, and satellite still have to draw on the OTA signal, unless you are saying that the OTA sources are providing a better image to cable and satellite, but not providing the same quality signal OTA.

Example: I was watching a Yankees game on local channel 11 in HD. The YES HD network was showing the same game. The YES network was clear and crisp compared to the local channel 11. Even though they are both HD programs, the YES network had a better picture and sound quality.

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
Direct TV installer came today and after asking some questions of him, I cancelled and will stay with Comcast. Video quality is not better then comcast nor is audio. I was supposed to supply a ethernet cable and I was told by the salesperson that I could watch a live show and tape two others at the same time. And, I didn't like where the dish was going to be installed (brick house with shake roof). So really no technical reason to make a switch from Comcast to Direct TV.

Bill

·
Registered
8,482 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang /forum/post/16962730

If you have Verizon FiOS available in your area, give it a shot.

Out of Dish, DirecTV, and local cable, I have found it to have the best picture and sound.

Over the years, my picture quality has varied with Comcast depending on where I was living.

Since moving into a house 2 years ago, the picture quality with Comcast has been pleasingly high. All channels are good to excellent on a 65 inch CRT RPTV. HD channels leave nothing to be desired except when they are pillar boxed which is a peripheral issue.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts