AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, I went to a local supermarket in New Jersey and noticed that it has on stock Daewood DVD players for less than $99. While I am surprised that DVD players are now selling for less than $100, but is this a "good" thing? After all, less reputable brands are selling these DVD players, and I fear that people will buy them because of their price other than their quality.

A thought: one has to wonder why do DVD players took so little time to drop their prices below $100, while it took VCRs more than twenty years to drop below $100?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Nothing wrong with the generic players. On the average television set, the picture and sound quality is about the same as any other player regardless of price. As with all consumer electronics, the trend is towards better product for lower prices.

DVD players have less moving parts so that's probably one reason they're easier to design and manufacture. Also, there's so much new competition from the generic players which is great for the consumer. While generic players can be found for $70-$100, there are also nice players from Sony, JVC, Panasonic, etc., for right around $100-$120. My guess is that we'll see $200 set-top DVD Recorders by next Christmas.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Thik

A thought: one has to wonder why do DVD players took so little time to drop their prices below $100, while it took VCRs more than twenty years to drop below $100?
in a word: APEX

read the article in the latest TIME magazine (LOTR: Two Towers cover) on the 2 guys who founded Apex Digital in California & started the DVD Player price war w/ their Apex 600A by (i) importing from China, (ii) accepting thin margins, and (iii) no advertising - and managed to create a billion dollar business & outsold Sony & Panasonic

(the 'hidden features' of the 600 got them a LOT of free advertising of course...)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.