AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to give a hearty thank you to people like Ed, Jack, Vaughan, among others, for opening my eyes (ears) to the impact (or lack thereof) of port compression.

I've been loving my PC Ultra and had gotten carried away in notching up the output in search of maximum slam. Well, after getting educated here I have found that by bringing the sub gain back down to the area of +3db or so over the mains that I do in fact get much more slam, and cleanly to boot. :eek: Very cool!

Thank you so much, and I hope that others have learned a similar lesson.

Take care guys.

Tim

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OvalNut
and I hope that others have learned a similar lesson.
Years ago, without advice/forums' assistance.

;)

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OvalNut
Well, after getting educated here I have found that by bringing the sub gain back down to the area of +3db or so over the mains that I do in fact get much more slam, and cleanly to boot.

Tim
Huh??? You had your sub more then 3db hot? Crazy!!!

I run my subs 2db hot tops.

·
Premium Member
24,995 Posts
OvalNut,

So why do you attribute the difference to port compression, and not, say, thermal compression from voice coil heating?

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Suffice it to say, it's some type of compression - port, thermal, mechanical, amp limiters, etc. To the end user, I suppose it doesn't matter which.

Regardless, it's encouraging to see that you definitely noticed an improvement when you backed off the playback level a few dB. The restoration of slam and deep extension is not because of your relative calibration level (with respect to the mains) per se. It's simply because you aren't overdriving the subwoofer anymore.

If you need more output, you could always add a second sub for another 6 dB of headroom; that way you'll almost assuredly be clean/uncompressed at any reasonable playback level.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Ed,

Thanks for the clarification, and not trying to slam me. You're a class act here.

Tim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.