Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen (and Ladies),

I happened to have a conversation with Mr. Avman the other day. It seems he has been "excommunicated" from the fold until further notice for his commercial transgressions.

It is true that somewhere during the HS10 chaos there was some dealmaking that gratified a lot of Forum members but fell outside of the bounds of normal Forum commerce. But lets recognize that for many or most of the members on the buy side, this was NEW BUSINESS, and not LOST BUSINESS for anyone. It was the good deal that brought new people into the HT fold. And from what I can tell from reading this Forum over the last few months, once bitten by the HT bug, one tends to spend up pretty continuously for years. So ALL the sellers will eventually prosper with this NEW business, despite the shaky beginnings!

I request that Avman be allowed back in on the condition that he observes the Forum rules in the same way that other members do. I think Avman has things to tell HS10 owners about technical issues, and as a result, will make the Forum a richer and more productive place for us all.

Can we bring him in from the cold please?

Tim

·
Registered
522 Posts
I agree. He has contacts with Sony and can bring lots of good information to everyone here. We should be so lucky to have posters with connections to the manufacturers like the audio forums do!

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Information from a manufacturer is one thing, but all was backed by a motive. There are plenty of examples of people who actually work for the company and participate here in a much less controversial way (Infocus, Immersive.)

While he was providing some information, it was something you could probably get from any knowledgeable dealer. On top of that, it was self-promotion which hurts the non-commercial feeling of the forum.

I think it becomes an issue of where to draw the line. I know Alan has spoken about having to boot numerous people who use the forum system to push items that people express interest in (more through private messages than public though.) AVMan was in the same category, he just also happened to post at the same time.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I vote that he be allowed to return regardless, even if the info is available it is often more convenient and faster to get it from a source such as him. Its a shame to waste good technical feedback because of breaking of some rather controversial rules.

·
Registered
308 Posts
oh oh. i see a thread locked soon :)

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Well this is Alan's forum and he can lock and delete whatever he wants to. But we ARE his customers. We view ads, purchase products and in my case, purchase access to the classifieds on his site. So we do have a voice. Without us, Alan would have no forum. I think some of the moderators (one in particular) of this site are pretty arrogant in their attitudes with dealing with forum members, and they don't appear to be folks who worship in the cult of customer service.

Having said that, if AVman wants back, Alan is a reasonable guy. I imagine Alan would allow him back if he approaches Alan privately and comes to an agreement. I don't think we need to 'vote' to let him back. He can stand up for himself. He has no excuse for violating forum rules to benefit himself, and if he wants back I think it's up to him to get Alan to allow it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
AVman was warned to stop marketing publically within the threads here for all to read by Alan. In spite of these warnings he continued to violate the rules. It is obvious he was unable to control himself so he voted himself off the forum.

Imagine AVman's blatant commercial behavior multiplied by all the dealer's and AV sales people who follow the posting here and whatever enjoyment people derive for this site would be destroyed.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Headset
Imagine AVman's blatant commercial behavior multiplied by all the dealer's and AV sales people who follow the posting here
Then we'd have an idea what a reasonable price was for a product, and where to get it.

Perish the thought, such knowledge is not good for us.

If it makes anybody feel better, I've had zero luck contacting him to purchase an HS10. I've sent two emails in the past week that haven't been returned. I've called and been told to send email. :(

·
Registered
418 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Headset
Imagine AVman's blatant commercial behavior multiplied by all the dealer's and AV sales people who follow the posting here and whatever enjoyment people derive for this site would be destroyed.
Well said. Not only enjoyment would be destroyed, but also objective advice. It is my strong opinion that this forum is the best thing out there for all of us who love this hobby. Thanks to the objective advice and help of members of this forum I was able to put together a killer Home Theater (for less money than many people pay for the projector alone!). My dedicated HT includes such nice things as Salamander furniture, Pronto controlled dimmers, black acoustic ceiling, Sony TA9000 Preamp updated to version 2.5, AE300 PJ, RP82 DVD, Mirage 12" sub.... etc ...!!! I couldn't have done it half as well (for three times the money I paid) without the help of this forum.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RussSchultz
Then we'd have an idea what a reasonable price was for a product, and where to get it.

Perish the thought, such knowledge is not good for us.

If it makes anybody feel better, I've had zero luck contacting him to purchase an HS10. I've sent two emails in the past week that haven't been returned. I've called and been told to send email. :(
Well there IS Pricewatch, NextTag and other pricing engines.

Still though, there doesn't seem to be the as much coverage of AV retailers on sites like ResellerRatings. Word of mouth in enthusiast forums is a very good way of avoiding particularly bad apples in the internet world.

Personally I find the moderation in this forum to be excessive...if moderation needs to occur then it should follow the same rules as in all the forums. You don't see out of topic threads in the >5K forum moved out.

If folks complain that the under $5K forum has less informative threads its probably because inertia lies with the >$5K forum (it existed first) and the fact that any potentially interesting threads rarely survive. Had the RGB over Cat5E thread started in this forum I bet it would have been moved out.

Regards,

Nigel

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
avman was given multiple warnings to cease his sales activity in the open forums. He chose to ignore those warnings and was banned by the owners of this website. He then created other usernames and continued his activities unabated, and those accounts were promptly shut down as well.

I'm closing this thread but leaving it available to read in the forum so that you will know what happened. Please do not start another thread on this subject or it will be pulled. If you wish to discuss this issue offline, please feel free to PM one of the moderators. Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.