AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, topics like this have been exhausted beyond exhaustion, but I just can't make up my mind. I cross-posted this from the RP forum so I can get some opinions from both sides.

I have had a Samsung HLN-5065W since November 20th. Sears gave me 90 days to return it so that deadline is approaching fast. I got it for a great price (almost 20% off). I think it looks wonderful on DVDs through my HTPC (DVI). I've played with the service menu some and got rid of some green push. The only HD material I currently have is the Coral Reef WM9 DVD, which looks fantastic (sans some banding in those dark to light ocean blues).

Now my problems with the display are:

1) Black levels - DVI gives me a lot more shadow detail than the other inputs, but the absolute blacks still bother me sometimes.

2) SD material - My cable company promises HD is coming soon (they put down fiber all over my neighborhood), but until then I am stuck with a less than great SD picture (I know I know...crap in crap out). I sit about 8' from the set, so that might not be helping the case.

3) The fan noise - Once I noticed it's low hum, I can't help but always think about it.

I think my dilemma is that there really aren't many other options for me right now. I need something light/small for my room which is only 11'x12'. I upgraded from a Toshiba 34" direct view because I wanted a more theater-like experience.

About the only option I can see for getting better black levels/contrast without having to buy a huge CRT TV is to go plasma. I've looked at 42" ED models and on paper they seem impressive as far as image quality, contrast, and overall "blackness" are concerned. I've seen the Panasonic 42" ED in circuit city and thought it's image looked almost CRT-like.

I just can't decide if giving up an awesome deal on a 50" DLP to go down to a 42" plasma is worth it. I know no one can make up my mind for me, but I thought having a conversation on the subject might help me out.

Chris

·
Registered
158 Posts
The fact that you're posting this means you probably aren't happy. You also state that you use an HTPC for DVD viewing. Find out what others think about the Panasonic ED unit with DVI and an HTPC and you will have your answer.

Hope this helps,

Santo

·
Registered
950 Posts
I have 2 panny ED panels, and I couldn't be happier.

The problem I had with the DLP...if ya use it a LOT.... the cost of bulb replacement was not for me. I don't mind the cost for my NEC PJ, since I'm not using it as my primary source for tv viewing, but $300 a pop for a new bulb was a deal breaker for me.

I also felt the same as you about the black levels. The panny seems like a more realalstic pic to me.

NEC, by the way, also makes a very good ED panel for about the same $$$ as the panny. I mention this cause the pannys seem to be in short supply. At least the PWD 6UY.

The off angle axis PQ seems better also on the panny than the DLP.

I think snuci is correct in saying.."The fact that you're posting this means you probably aren't happy.

Good fortune in your quest for the best PQ!

Cheers, VB

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Chris,

I understand your thoughts and concerns. My latest quest to build a

good HDTV setup started with a HLN507 DLP set that I had for a couple

of months till things such as you mentioned got to me. I was fortunate

enough to be able to return it. After much viewing and learning from

the guys in here I bought a plasma. I am now a VERY happy camper

that watches SD and DVD as well as HD.

Just my .02

Martin

·
Registered
441 Posts
tell me about it

I had the Samsung 567 and returned it as well and upgraded myself to the best - a New Fujitsu 50". What drove me nuts on the Samsung was, losing picture off vertical, black levels, and most importantly that high pitch whine from the color wheel. The fan on the Fujitsu is barely noticeable. Don't torture yourself, upgrade to plasma, spend the extra bucks and get yourself a 50 inch Commercial Panasonic or the New NEC HDCP compliant 50" and if you are feeling really spry the Fujitsu 50"

just my 2 Euros or about 10 US dollars - ha ha ha

·
Registered
950 Posts
nospam_online, now that's just wrong!!!

VB

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by nospam_online
In Soviet Russia the dead horse flogs you!
Score= -1, Wrong Forum(s/b /.) + -1, Incorrect Syntax (s/b "In Soviet Russia, dead horse flogs YOU!")

;) :)

But back to the original topic....

Chris, I have an older Panasonic 42 Ed (4UY) and I'm very happy with it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Do you post on LUE @ gamefaqs?

Quote:
Originally posted by 3.1415926 pi
nospam_online, now that's just wrong!!!

VB

·
Registered
15,351 Posts
I like DLP quite a bit in some ways. With the right material the image can look stunning. In fact, in the local Future Shop they have a DLP Rear Projection set (I think it was RCA) playing a loop of Hi-Def material of eye popping tropical island images. The clarity is incredible, seemingly outdoing even the big Pioneer 50" plasmas nearby (which could be calibrated a bit better, but still the DLP had a sharpness on some shots that even the plasma would have a hard time rivaling). However, even in this material I can still see some color noise and pixelation that I see in all DLPs.

However, on the whole I find every DLP, even ones I've tried to calibrate, show a cartoony-looking color pallet. There's just something fake about the picture that I cannot dial out. There's also more picture noise with DVDs than I see in the better plasmas. Finally, the bluish blacks, and the overall black levels still aren't satisfying to me, even in a brightly lit environment. But they are promising.

Oh, and when I went shopping with two friends separately for DLP projectors all of us got headaches and saw rainbows. (And my two friends didn't even know of the phenomena until the experienced it and wondered why their eyes were feeling fatigued and they were getting eye-strain headaches). Funny enough, I rarely notice rainbows on the RPTVs for whatever reason.

Stornn,

The Panasonic plasmas have deeper black levels than any DLP.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by deeann

But back to the original topic....

Chris, I have an older Panasonic 42 Ed (4UY) and I'm very happy with it. [/b]
Off topic:

@deeann: How long have you got that model? Any sings of burn in, or nothing at all?

Regards,

J. Rosado

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
I've had it almost two years and haven't had a problem yet. I calibrate it with Avia (and tweak it a bit from there), wobble on the lighter station bugs and crop out the bright and opaque ones. I watch movies OAR and zoom and reduce resize 4:3 SDTV.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.