The Art of Special Effects

Unrated deleted scenes

Car crash sequence step-by-step

Trailer gallery

Poster gallery

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
This was the best darkly-toned film I saw all year, but I hate to call this movie horror at all. I see it more as a drama that happens to have a vampire in it. It was so good, but I just don't know what kind of replay value it has for me to watch it much again.

Everyone should definitely see this movie once though. It's not going to scare you or gross you out if you're concerned about that, though there are a couple of tense scenes.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Yes!

I adored Let the Right One In, and was pleasantly surprised at how well-done the remake was (I usually hate them). It has enough of its own charm to stand tall right next to the original without feeling like a mere re-tread.

Day 1 purchase for me.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmax /forum/post/19529637

I think the quote from Stephen King should read..."The best SWEEDISH Horror film in the last 20 years"

As much as I loved Let the Right One In, I could not stand the kid they had playing the main character. He had this weird breathing tic that drove me up the ****ing wall. Interested in seeing the new version, especially with Chloe Moretz as the vampire.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
I might give this a rent. Moretz is the bomb but the first one was just ok for me. I am hoping I would like this version better. The boy in the swedish version was grating to watch.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I'm looking forward to seeing this on Blu Ray--I enjoyed the "Let the Right One In" and it will be nice to see this version as a comparison. Chloe Moretz is a great young actress--glad to see her getting interesting and challenging parts.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Watched this one on Blu-ray last night.

I really enjoyed the original and did not get a chance to see this remake in theaters so I was a bit apprehensive going in on this movie. Thankfully as someone noted earlier in this thread, this remake has enough of it's own unique positive elements to stand on it's own as a generally excellent horror film. One amusing aside - I think Hammer needs to change their new studio logo from something that looks a bit too much like Marvel Comic's graphics-filled text logo.

I will say I do prefer the original version, especially because the Swiss local and actors give it a unique, almost alien viewpoint (at least to us Americaners). I also think the male lead actor in the original is superior to the lead (who is also good, don't get me wrong) in the US version.

I was pleased with the a/v quality of the Blu-ray overall. There was a few instances were I thought perhaps there was some waxiness and lack of fine detail in character's faces but I really doubt it was due to anything more than how the film was originally photographed.

·
Registered
6,948 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyslammer
I will say I do prefer the original version, especially because the Swiss local and actors give it a unique, almost alien viewpoint (at least to us Americaners).
Switzerland is a bit alien for us swedes as well.

·
Premium Member
12,776 Posts
The only thing that bugs me about this remake is that Matt Reeves (the director) mentioned while it was in production that there was a lot unused from the book that would make this film different than the Swedish version. Now having seen this remake it is almost identical to the Swedish version aside from the time period and locale, but he stuck to nearly the EXACT same formula and even ommited all the same things from the book that the other version did. He doesn't improve on the Swedish version (but manages to stay nearly as good) so this is one of those I would recommend to someone who hasn't seen the original and doesn't like subtitled movies.

I've read the book and there is A LOT that could have been done to make this a different movie than the Swedish version. The book was completely different in respect to the caretaker and what became of him after he fell out the hospital window. You could have had some pretty terrifying stuff in the film. There is also a lot more about the vampire and "her" history that would lend to some very interesting twists in the storyline. I honestly think Matt took the easy way out and just made an Americanized version of an already brilliant film rather than taking a bit of a chance and staying a bit more true to the original novel, like he eluded to during production.

·
Registered
17,687 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering /forum/post/19910089

The only thing that bugs me about this remake is that Matt Reeves (the director) mentioned while it was in production that there was a lot unused from the book that would make this film different than the Swedish version. Now having seen this remake it is almost identical to the Swedish version aside from the time period and locale, but he stuck to nearly the EXACT same formula and even ommited all the same things from the book that the other version did. He doesn't improve on the Swedish version (but manages to stay nearly as good) so this is one of those I would recommend to someone who hasn't seen the original and doesn't like subtitled movies.

I've read the book and there is A LOT that could have been done to make this a different movie than the Swedish version. The book was completely different in respect to the caretaker and what became of him after he fell out the hospital window. You could have had some pretty terrifying stuff in the film. There is also a lot more about the vampire and "her" history that would lend to some very interesting twists in the storyline. I honestly think Matt took the easy way out and just made an Americanized version of an already brilliant film rather than taking a bit of a chance and staying a bit more true to the original novel, like he eluded to during production.

The problem is, to bring that stuff into the mix, you need to add in the stories around at least two more characters. Otherwise all the events that occur won't make sense. The movie would be another 30-45 minutes to bring in the teen that encounters the caretaker later, which means bringing in the stepfather or you need another mechanism for dealing with the caretaker.

Plus, if you do that, you have to address the manhunt.

Further, due to the nature of the caretaker, the later scenes between he and Eli would be very hard to incorporate.

Finally, while some of the stuff was left out, I felt the pool scene in the original movie was done much better than in the book where it's almost dismissed by the writer by being told through a police report. As a result, the book slams to an ending, rather than allowing tension to build up, then ease back down before that end scene as it did in the original movie.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I agree that there were some good opportunities to veer much further away from the original movie using material from the book, plus it was kind of a cop-out that the issue of Abby's sexuality was basically avoided except for a few lines scattered about that were more an inference that clearly meant she wasn't human, much less male or female (or perhaps both). But it's certainly no "Psycho" (1960) / "Psycho" (1998) note for note remake..

·
Registered
6,307 Posts
Glad to hear some positive feedback on this, I should have it from blockbuster today. I enjoyed the original and usually find that US remakes of foreign films, especially horror are vastly inferior but I also find that foreign films by nature add a bit more intrigue or mystique. Anyways, looking forward to seeing how this one holds up.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Just watched this (Netflix).. I was scared to blind buy it because I was afraid it would be a cheap imitation with a more Hollywood feel....

I will say this... this movie was very 1:1 with the Swedish film... Lots of similar scenes... I haven't read the book, but it is so similar to the other movie that it feels like a movie remake, not a second telling of the same story....

On that same note, I thoroughly enjoyed watching this version, and i felt it had more suspense than the Swedish version... At least I didn't have to worry about a translation problem because of bad subtitles....

As far as Abby's sexuality:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) It unfortunately is only explained in a deleted scene that I kinda wish they kept in

I will pick up this movie in the future.... Whether it's too similar to the original doesn't matter as it was really good... The acting in this was very good too....

Now I need to get a copy of the book....

Side question: Does anyone know if the title "Let the right one in" is the proper translation of the movie/book's title... Is it word for word the same, or the same meaning? Reason I ask is because "Let me in" seems to make more sense... though I could see why they would say to let the right one in.. I dunno...?!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts