AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to redo my home theater system. My current system is...well very old and time for a major upgrade.

Current system consists of an Onkyo TX-DS575 ( 10 years old), Polk Bookshelves as my mains with a Bose VC-10 as my center channel. I have a Toshiba HD-3A and my TV is a 42" Panny ( 6 years old). Subwoofer is a Velodyne CHT-12 ( 9 years old)

I am currently stationed in South Korea and most places will not ship here, so this is what I am looking to get what is easily availabe to me.

Receiver: Yammy RX-V765

Front mains: Yammy NS-F700

Center Yammy NS-C700

Rears Yammy NS-B700

Sub Yammy NS-SW700

Blue-Ray Panasonic DMP-BD60K

TV will be a Panasonic bigger then 50", just dont know which one yet.

If you have other choices that I should go with please give me your input.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Since you use the term "home theater" please let me suggest that you consider investing in a visual upgrade instead of an audio upgrade.

We bought a 56in 1080p HDTV with a modest 5:1 Onkyo sound system (why they call surround sound "home theater system" I will never understand - guess it's a marketing thing).

Anywho, we anticipated a "Theater" experience and learned that all we really had was a little television with external speakers.

We upgraded to projector and wall screen and the first time the lights dimmed and the Theater sized screen lit up we went "WOW, this is just like being at the movies!!!!" and knew that Home Theater was at our house.

We get just as much WOW from the modest 5:1 Onkyo sound system - IMO - sound, of course, is very important but very expensive sound with a television simply cannot deliver Theater so, again, if you have the cash to upgrade something please consider a visual upgrade capable of giving you the true WOW of Theater in the Home.

Best of Luck

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The problem with all my current receiver is that it does not support any of the current decoding, plus it only puts out 70 watts a channel. So I need to upgrade to experiance the sound of the theater as well.

I would get a projector if my room was bigger, right now I am only renting and the room is 15x12, so a projector would be just to big for a room this small.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like I got most of the stuff on this old thread of mine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts