AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I basically have a chance to get a location right on the boardwalk of a local beach, right here in southern California!

This buddy of mine that wants me to come into the buisness, has a couple of coffee shop/cigar store locations and wants to open a new one at this place...but the place is super big...so he asked me to see what ideas i may have

My background is in telecommunications/IT, so what i was thinking to open a game play/modern arcade type store in there too...(only with no arcade machines. )

My idea is to have 15/20 main systems connected to a video wall (probably a super wide marquee blend wih a bunch of individual screens pasted in there so that 20 people can play in a setting)

Not sure but maybe I will go with a rear projection/built in solution, that way its always dark in there and the screen gets all the light...as oppose to front projection where i will need to have the room super dark.

Like a futuristic LAN party meets my CRT obsession ...(a preview of what these beasts are capable of...)

All this with a theater type surround sound and dark setting!

Later on I can maybe add a couple of more screens and (20 more) systems...

The systems are going to be Asus based with multiple video cards..basically cutting edge stuff, but not too much over board.(this way everyone will get to play on a nice machine with nice frame rates and all)

So critic/advice away please...

I also thought I will offer all this free for the first month to whomever signs up to play for that period...that way I will get to be known, after all who/which kid doesn't like a free play period on a giant screen with a bunch of other people?

Oh and the place can be open 24 hours a day...well not sure about that ...but who knows

Thank you in advance for all your thoughts and advice

Martin

·
Registered
270 Posts
My advice is that digital is better with gaming. Gamers are not as critical of black levels, on/off contrast. Less risk of burn in. More lumens etc. CRT's forte is movies.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I'd be sure to have some kind of business plan, this sounds very expensive, how are you going to be able to recoup all of these costs with a monthly fee from kids who don't have that much money to begin with. Sounds freakin cool though.

Oh yea, you might be better off with digital, its a tough call though.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Have both CRT and Digital

let whoever has the bigger wallet play the CRTs :p

Rudy

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
This sounds similar to a shop in our town (Appleton,WI) called ExtremePC gaming. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure they went out of business despite being run by some nice caring folks and recognition as a good family friendly Amusement venue. That business had about 20 PCs presumably preloaded with popular games and player could play against others both in-house or via internet. They charged $3/hr with sliding rates the longer you played. All stations were well maintained with 17" monitors. The location was a downtown shop near other night-time live entertainment venues. Seemed like a pretty neat idea but not one likely to generate a ton of income. For example a full house of 20 users at $3/hr/user would yield $60/hr and the likelyhood of sustaining that for long seemed to be seldomly realized.

I'm not aware of a great way to integrate multiple players on a single screen using PC's. To me you could do multiple player easier with an Xbox 360 or PS3 and have 4/players on a 8' wide screens. You could setup multiple screens to accomodate more paying customers. You could have buttkickers in the seats or maybe D-box motion to justify premium rates. Then there's 3D.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The reason for the CRT is that size wise they seem to generate a bigger picture than say a single DLP...(I was thinking of four marquees back to back, each set at say 9' wide)

Jerry the tactile transducers aren't a bad idea either!

JJ, the bigger waet get the crt is also cool....I figured I can set it up that if someone pays more they get to play the crt in 9/12' wide glory!

Plus I already have four "spare" marquees...2 with nice tubes...

I guess this will not only be gaming place, but a cigar and coffee shop with the plus of being able to play some games...

I was thinking of selling memberships as the main income generator...something like you pay 40 bucks a month and you can play as long as you like...meanwhile when they are waiting they can have some coffee and maybe enjoy a cigars if they are old enough.

When I said kids I was thinking of the high school variety. (working class kids!)

The main income will be from the coffee shop/cigar store...this part of the business will just be a way to bring people in and make them stay for longer period of time!

With this place being as big as it is, it will be a way to fill it with something fun.

...and the location is excellent for something like this. Its right in the heart of the fun district!

At this point I am just trying to generate ideas and such, I figured that by sharing this here surely something good will come of it, since the majority of the people in this forum are quite inginious, not to menton stute buisness men/women.

Thanks again

Martin

·
Premium Member
2,101 Posts
general concept is a good idea.

From post 3 - I actually think that often "kids" have more disposable income than most other people.

The point about total per hour income is very valid and needs thought......

Games League - fee to join each type of league.........

Large football games etc shown......

Beer......

girlies for Cliff........

food for thought.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hehehe

...Beer, now that is something I did not even think about! (although I am not sure how hard it will be to get a new liquor license...)

...Girlie's, that's a given...

I'm sure by the time this thread fills up some more there will be a bunch of cool new ideas that I did not even consider!

Thanks everyone...

Martin

·
Registered
126 Posts
Let's see, high school age boys and girlies in a dark room with beer.

I don't know if video games would be on their minds, but I bet you'd sell a lot of tickets.

·
Registered
696 Posts
If you want ideas for a CRT-related business... how about a CRT PERSONAL CINEMA... it goes like this:

Why go to the regular cinema, where you have to pick a movie out of 10 current movies that you may not like at all? Rigid schedules, noisy teenagers next to you, often bad PQ...

enter your PERSONAL, ON-DEMAND CRT CINEMA....

- Many little cinema rooms

- Each room has 1,2,3, up to 6? seats.

- Each room powered by a CRT - superb PQ

- CINEMA ON DEMAND. Basically Blu Ray or similar. You can also set some rooms with games or similar. If the concept takes of you could talk to the D-Cinema guys to see if they would digitally distribute blockbusters to you.

...Regards...

·
Registered
4,355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by antorsae /forum/post/15587414

If you want ideas for a CRT-related business... how about a CRT PERSONAL CINEMA... it goes like this:

Why go to the regular cinema, where you have to pick a movie out of 10 current movies that you may not like at all? Rigid schedules, noisy teenagers next to you, often bad PQ...

enter your PERSONAL, ON-DEMAND CRT CINEMA....

- Many little cinema rooms

- Each room has 1,2,3, up to 6? seats.

- Each room powered by a CRT - superb PQ

- CINEMA ON DEMAND. Basically Blu Ray or similar. You can also set some rooms with games or similar. If the concept takes of you could talk to the D-Cinema guys to see if they would digitally distribute blockbusters to you.

...Regards...

I always wanted to do this and add Dinner to it as well(i'm a restauranteur)

But i was thinking more of a friends and group thing. The only thing that sucks is the royalty rights for the movie, You cant just get the movie from your own collection, you have to get them form a registered distributer. I knew a guy that was the local Buffalo area rep, and he was in charge of the film distribution here. I assume now though you could maybe set up an digital download streaming of the film at 1080p or higher, can you say 4k marquee quad blend? !!!!

Athanasios

·
Banned
365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashou66 /forum/post/15587591

I always wanted to do this and add Dinner to it as well(i'm a restauranteur)

But i was thinking more of a friends and group thing. The only thing that sucks is the royalty rights for the movie, You cant just get the movie from your own collection, you have to get them form a registered distributer.

Or you can do like the Boy Scouts, etc do. They pay a fee every year so all troop mothers can invite the kids to their house to watch a new release movie from say Blockbuster.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Only issue I see is the anti-tobaco pundit's. Will there be smoking in the store where teen's hang out? Tobaco sales in the store where teens hang out?

Luring the teens in with big screen gaming goodness. I can just see the picket signs out front now.

How about aiming it more at the corprorate level where $16 coffies are the norm and cigars are sublime. Office parties, business meetings? Maybe a small menu and a kitchen?

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
I would never want to own a business that is "dark inside". The first night you go to clean that place, you'll want out.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah the tobacco idea is a bit of a stretch...

The rent is around 8500 a month...

The reason I mentioned the smoke shop is because that is what he does now, and i figure he has his mind set on it...but i should be able to talk him out of it...I think!

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you get this up and running you should get some sponsership and at least a web cast going.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts