AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got the last bit of drywall hung last night! What a huge pain in the butt!!!! Thank heavens for friends that owed favors I could call in and 12' sheets of drywall. (greatly minimized the amount of seams!)

I have always been envious of some of the HUGE theaters I see and read about on this forum. That is until I hung double drywall in my little 11x18 room. Thank heaven for computers or I might have to work for a living!!!

Now on to tape and mud. I hear this is an even larger pain in the butt. This has been a DIY to this point so it will continue to be me doing the work. The only thing I will not attempt is the carpet. A sheet of drywall, a 2x4 or some romex is easy to replace if you mess up. Not sure I want to learn on something expensive like carpet.

This place has been a wealth of knowledge. I have been supplying the man power but this place and those that frequent it have definitely supplied many of the ideas and fixes for situation I got myself into!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Heh have fun. I put up 4 walls with electrical in about 3 weeks. I'm on my fourth week of sanding right now. It's just such a pain in the @$* that I can't bring myself to do more than about 15 minutes of it at a time.

·
Registered
306 Posts
You only need to tape and mud if the walls will be visible. Many people cover the walls with InsualShield, Cotton Batting and cloth. Since they are covering the walls, they could just use flexible silicon caulk to seal the joints between the sheets of drywall.

If you plan to leave the drywall visible, then you are stuck needing to tape, mud, and sand it.

If you do two layers of drywall, the 1st layer can be sealed using flexible silicon caulk. Don't worry about looks since it will be covered by the second layer of drywall.

·
Registered
175 Posts
From someone who's been patching holes in the ceiling where lines were fished for recessed lights, I'll give you a bit of advice on the drywalling mudding....

Get some of the Sheetrock brand Lightweight compound (blue top) for the top 2 layers and use the All-Purpose (green top) for the bottom layer if you can. The All-Purpose does a better job of holding the tape in and getting nice and hard. When you do layers 2 and 3, use progressively thinner mixtures of the Lightweight stuff. Get yourself a bucket, throw some of the mud in, add some water, and stir it with something until it's smooth (and smoother than that for the 3rd coat).

By thinning it slightly progressively throughout the coats, you'll get an amazing smooth top coat that barely needs to be sanded.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Walls will be visible till my budget allows for acoustic treatments... Great tip on the layers of mud being progressively thinner! I will give that a shot! Do you tape then do outside corner seams of everything at once?

Looking forward to this madness (NOT)!!! The necessary evils of DIY and budget constraints!

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
I plan on covering with Insul-Shield (If I can ever find it), Batting, and GOM. But, only for the theater...The rest of the basement will be mud, tape and sand, I'm afraid. I've heard of several members hiring out the mud/sanding part. For a fair sized room, what would just the mudding/taping cost from a contractor? I wonder if by the time you buy all the tools, mud, tape, sandpaper, dust cloths, vacuums, masks, sanity, etc., if it's worth it.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Around here, it looks like a good average is $10-$12 per sheet for finishing, and about $20/sheet for hanging and finishing...

I was gonna hang mine and hire out the finishing as I'm doing an 8 room, 2000 sq. foot basement altogether, but I got a good deal from a guy who only wants $500 more to hang in addition to the $10 per sheet to finish. I can come up with $500 if it means I don't have to touch a sheet in a project this big... that's for sure!

-Chris

·
Registered
175 Posts
Not sure, but I don't know how many drywall hangers would JUST do mudding/taping/sanding. They'd have to come to your house 3 times (once for each layer), and you'd probably be paying a good bit for labor.

A 4.5 gallon bucket of mud is only about $10. 3 different sized knives would run you about $8 each. Tape is cheap -- maybe $4-5/roll.

I think that they'd quote you a high estimate just to make it worth their time to come out there JUST for that part of it, but I could be completely wrong. It just didn't seem that big of a deal to do myself to me. It's mostly sweat equity, and YES you CAN master it! Try it and you'll have another skill under your belt!

Quote:
Originally posted by robertmee
For a fair sized room, what would just the mudding/taping cost from a contractor? I wonder if by the time you buy all the tools, mud, tape, sandpaper, dust cloths, vacuums, masks, sanity, etc., if it's worth it.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Sheetrock is the worst part of any HT project, period.

Having said that it is very rewarding to master this skill. You have done the work part and the rest is more art than work.

If you do it yourself be prepared to redo the seems 10 times until they are gone. Use WET sanding rather than the dry version. It blends better with the water.

Greg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.