AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Subject: DVI/HDCP & HDTV state of the union.

To be sent to whoever we can send it to, prefererrably

our representatives in Congress. Better yet, to some1 who sees Hollywood through. Some1 who's been in odds with the Devil of Entertainment lately.

Being an ESL dude, I leave it to the creative imagination of the forum to word one, but here is what we need to cover:

a) A** kissing, where we thank Feds for coming up with the idea of (H)DTV and being persistent and creative about implementation.

b) Us, being early adopters, spending much dinero to buy the gear, stimulate luckster economy, being lab rats in this experiment & liking whatever bits and pieces of HD content we have. Special kudos to PBS & CBS, the country has the right to know its heroes.

c) evil MPAA fighting to the tooth & nail to deprive us of any recording capability, not providing content etc etc. MPAA blackmailing manufacturers into withdrawing perfectly good products off the market. Availability of HDTV recording gear in other parts of the world (Japan), along with avalability of recorded contente.

d) Us consumers, and 5C getting fed up with the state of limbo and agreeing on Firewire/5C protection and creating some roadmap for recording .... <-- this is a tough one !

I, as a Mits owner, count on upgrade promise, but others can not. Even firewire, if adopted, would still make 90% of HDTV monitors obsolete.

e) Quiet/behind the scenes move by MPAA to violate Betamax ruling and get us back to square one: no recording. This is defacto what is going to happen in few years by now, as analog TVs are phased out and there is no way to record _anything_

f) De facto fleecing of America, where equipment we bought and others are/will be buying is made obsolete by MPAA, with

D* & E* keeping quiet ! This part should be as loud as possible. This gang is trying to switch standards on us,

while fooling Americans out of billions of dollars !

g) This is the creative part, where we propose a way out of this mess:

-- State to MPAA universal applicability of Betamax ruling to legal content in any shape, way or form (analog/digital) and our absolute right to record/timeshift.

-- Establish 10Y period where analog input monitors are to be the ONLY supported option (nothing else even exists anyway !)

-- Relax franchise (NBA/NHL/NFL) restrictions on sports coverage (allow alternative HD coverage), to help Mark Cubans of the world.

-- Force MPAA to express what it is they are trying to achieve, exactly !

-- Get the whole gang (MPAA, CEAA and few of us) to testify to a Congressinal comm(etee/ision) about what are views are !

Bottom line is: we love HDTV, we spend money to get it, we are waiting for content, and we will pay for it, should we like it. We will not allow anybody to force us to write off $5K- $10K we spent on HD as an experiment charge.

We do not steal content, we are not hackers or evil that MPAA has to fight. We are the ones who make very existence

of MPAA possible !

Hackers are bad ass dudes in third world countries and they will prevail no matter what MPAA or US Pacific Fleet does. Just the way they've been succeeding for the last 20Y.

MPAA can use agent Orange on them, for all I care, as long as they don't spray it us - this is where we have a problem!

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Vic,

I guess, the original message was modified by you, as result of feedback from this forum. Do you have the

final version (the one that actually went out to Mr.Tauzin) ?

I worries me that they all are being financed by MPAA.

We have to modify the body yet again, to show that the situation went from could/would to _has_ happened and now it is endorsed by DBS providers which makes it so much worse.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
The letter as it appears in the first post is the final version that was sent out. It reflects all the changes that were suggested by the Forum.

------------------

Vic Ruiz
STOP HDCP/DFAST/5C

·
Registered
275 Posts
Great Letter, I'm sending mine with copies to my Congress representatives.

Carlos

------------------

Stop DFAST.

Boycott JVC!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.