AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many users are reporting judder and crashes using Directshow filters to play DVD when the SPDIF output is activated on the audio filter.

Typically, one sees video freezes or jumping back to the main DVD menu (in particular, when pausing and unpausing the video or doing other 'normal' DVD navigation) when using the audio renderer "Default DirectSound Device". One sees less crashes but more video judder with the audio renderer "Default WaveOut Device" - when you start playing video (e.g. after a pause) it looks like it has trouble getting going smoothly. Normally the sound itself is OK, but sometimes that can also judder.

You are on the right thread if you have noticed these problems, but they all go away when you switch to 2 channel or 6 channel output not using SPDIF.

This SPDIF problem seems to be common to all filter packages using DirectShow, with the possible exception of Mediamatics' DVD Express.

Examples include:

* Sonic Cineplayer standalone player or under Zoom Player

* WinDVD filters used under Zoom Player

* NVIDIA DVD filters

The problems seem to manifest themselves differently on different DVDs - Star Wars Ep II: AOTC is one of the most sensitive.

I am hoping that our collective endeavours under this thread will be able to come up with a solution, and/or notify Microsoft of a specific bug in DirectShow. Please post which operating system and which soundcard you are using.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm fairly sure its a DirectShow problem and not my own soundcard (ESS Maestro 2E) because:

(1) Standalone players such as CoolDVD (which does not use DirectShow) play a DVD perfectly using SPDIF out, without any judder or other problems.

(2) Users with many different soundcards are seeing similar problems - it also seems to be a problem in both Windows Me and Windows XP.

(3) DVD Express seems to have overcome the problem - I think this may be related to the fact that its audio and video filters are in fact in the same .dll file, and also may be something to do with its registry setting "UseSPDIFClock".

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
When createing a filter graph you can specify to use the clock on the sound card, when you do so you will see the clock turns yellow to indicate that its turned on.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Zoom player graph file with CoolDVD audio and Sonc video? Anyone?

Seriously, this is the closest I have seen to an explanation as to why suddenly for so many people using Theatertek and other players see stutters and audio dropouts.

I use a Phillips Dynamic edge, TT, with WinXP Pro. Also see the same problem with an SB Live!

My worst DVDs by far are the Bablylon5 first season DVDs

Cheers,

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alric, CoolDVD audio is 2-channel only so although it does not have the SPDIF problem it is not actually very useful. The standalone CoolDVD player does not use DirectShow (put it this way, I have looked at what modules it loads using debugging software and it does not load quartz.dll)which is, I think, why CoolDVD is stable even using SPDIF.

I am trying to maintain a generally useful list of Zoom Player filtergraphs at this thread on the ZP forum: http://forum.inmatrix.com/ikonboard/...f=7&t=1023&st=

JeffY - I know about DirectShow clocks, and it is precisely because the audio renderer generates the master clock that I think DirectShow has a problem with SPDIF. Basically I think the master clock generated by the audio renderer must be different in some way when using SPDIF, therefore causing the video renderer and/or the DVD Navigator to freeze, stutter, go out of sync or crash.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JeffY, I greatly appreciate your input and I also note your 1000 posts (congrats). Unfortunately this MS KB article would suggest that the audio renderer's clock is used by default:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...enceclocks.asp

I am also having trouble seeing how to get Zoomplayer to set the reference clock in a filtergraph (this information is not saved in a Graphedit XML file). Do you know how to do this?

·
Registered
229 Posts
No matter what I try I cannot get AC3 from my SB SPDIF into my AC3 speakers. Here's what I have setup

SoundCard: SB Live! Value w/ SPDIF output (mini phono jack).

Speakers: Altec Lansing ADA 880 w/ AC3 decode ability and SPDIF (RCA) input.

Analog Setup: Works fine!!

Digital Setup: doesn't work, the DD light on the ADA 880 is orange (Pro-Logic) instead of Green (AC3). I get Green (AC3) light when I run my standalone DVD player into it.

The Setup:

SBLive! SPDIF -> Phono to Rca Adapter -> 20' Rca cable -> AL ADA880 SPDIF

I play Divx movie w/ AC3 sound using zoomplayer

Tried both InterVideo AC3 filter and also Sonic Cinema Audio (Both set to SPDIF out)

WinXP audio setting set to "Digital out only"

Result: No singal at all.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, I have tried adding the following line in ZP filter graphs (as explained in the avi.mediagraph file distributed with ZP):

SetFilterSync(Default WaveOut Device)

to set the master clock as JeFFY suggests. This makes no difference to the problem I am describing, i.e. the problem remains.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here's a link to a Microsoft article which may be relevant:
http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/tech/audio/Non-PCM.asp

(seems to indicate that Windows Me which is what I use should be OK)

I'm reaching the limits of my understanding, here. Does anyone know whether 6-channel DD (in analogue mode) counts as PCM or non-PCM? Clearly an AC3 digital signal (which is what is carried by SPDIF when you enable the SPDIF option - or sometimes it is even a dts signal!) is non-PCM.

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
"I'm reaching the limits of my understanding, here. Does anyone know whether 6-channel DD (in analogue mode) counts as PCM or non-PCM?"

It's PCM after being decoded.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
civic5zigen:

Got this to work on Win2K with the SBLive 5.1.

Needed to:

Right click on the little speaker icon on your task bar, and select Adjust Audio Properties. In the Audio tab, click on the Advanced button under preferred device on Audio tab. Change Speaker Setup to 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers in the pull down menu for Speaker Setup. Close this.

Now, double click on the little speaker icon again. On the bottom of the mixing console, there should be a checkbox which says "Digital Output" or "Digital Output Only". Make sure that box is checked.

Change WinDVD to "SPDIF"-- don't know how to do this; I used PowerDVD.

It's painful to switch between my two-channel speakers upstairs and the SPDIF I pipe down to the receiver downstairs, but it works.

How new are your audio drivers? Creative's drivers didn't work for digital out for me until ~September of this year.

·
Registered
752 Posts
"Bump"

I've got problems with intermitten audio drop outs on my system, too. It doesn't matter whether the DVD is played from the HDD or the hardware DVD drive. It just randomly drops out for a split second. It's worse on some DVD's (LOTR Xtended version, for example) than others.

It's making me crazy!

I'm using a Cmedia 8738 based SPDIF output via toslink to an external receiver with DD\\DTS decoding. WindXP Home, SP1. Zoom Player with Cineplayer 1.5, build 135.

Anyone have any clues or "secret bullets" here?

I'm almost ready to go back to a regular DVD player!

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
Possibly a bad Toslink cable or receiver. I once had dropouts from a standalone DVD player to a Pioneer recever using copper SPDIF everytime the refigerator compressor cycled.

Are you losing the SPDIF indicator on your receiver when this happens?

Vern

·
Registered
232 Posts
spdif worked perfectly for me using a sblive! platinum and powerdvd.

seems to be even better with my waveterminal192x using toslink connection. it's not that i can hear a difference, it more or less seems like the cpu is taking a smaller hit when i'm using powerdvd

·
Registered
229 Posts
Thanks archibael,

I try to do that but my problem is that SB only allow me to select 2 or 4 speaker mode. There's no 5.1 speaker like u mention. But I do click the "digital out only" and didn't work. BTW, mine is an SB Live! value w/ an yellow mini plug that says digital.

Question. I am currently using an mini to RCA adapter to connect from the yellow digital out of SB to my reciver's RCA digital in. On the Mini end of the adapter it is an Mono type mini, not the stereo type. Does it make any difference?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by civic5zigen
Question. I am currently using an mini to RCA adapter to connect from the yellow digital out of SB to my reciver's RCA digital in. On the Mini end of the adapter it is an Mono type mini, not the stereo type. Does it make any difference?
there's your problem - you need the stereo 1/8"-->RCA adapter

·
Registered
133 Posts
Not quite correct I have used a mono adapter out of SB's yellow jack to my receiver for over two years passes both DD and DTS with WinDVD.

Don

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Yes, I believe Don's right... I also use a mono mini jack. If I remember correctly, I think the stereo jack will give you two channels (center, sub??) when in analogue. You must also turn OFF the card's AC3 decoding. I have used both SBLive Value and Audigy soundcards successfully (though not at the same time) with SPDIF and my Sony does all the decoding (both DD and DTS)... there's a blue glowing bar if its decoding and the receiver states what type of signal its receiving.

BTW, ever since I got my DVD-Rom back into Ultra DMA mode, I have no perceptible judder or stutter of the audio or video... on at least the 70 or so movies I've since tried. My OS is WinXP Pro, I use both ZoomPlayer and PowerDVD. In ZP I use the Sonic filters or mix and match with the PowerDVD filters... with the Sonic filters I often will select a graph with ffdshow... note: ffdshow is the only thing that can introduce stutter if I'm not careful on which filter and its settings I chose and how many filters I turn on. I have NO PROBLEMS with DirectShow...

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.