AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to buy a PDP so my question comes down to buyinf a 720 or 1080p set.

I am buying for the long term so do I go for the 1080p or get the 720? I want a 50 inch screen and will view from 12-15 feet. If I go 720, will I regret it a year from now? There are some really nice choices at 720, but I don't want to short myself either.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
891 Posts
At 12-15 ft, I don't think 1080p will hold much value for you. Even if you wanted to couple the display with a PC, the fonts at 1080p would be too small to read at such a distance.

720p would be fine.

·
Registered
92 Posts
From 12-15 feet, the human eye can't tell the difference between 720 & 1080.

As long as it accepts the different INPUTS at 1080, you're acheiving reasonable futureproofness. The OUTPUT, the screen you'll not be able to see a difference.

I sit about 8-10 from my TV, and would barely be able to see the difference between the two at 50". What I *personally* am planning on doing is if I get a 50, I can live with a 720. If I get a 60" I'm going to get a 1080.

-Joel

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
There is a tax on brass?

·
Registered
44 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmhughes /forum/post/0

As long as it accepts the different INPUTS at 1080

What do you mean by this? Sorry for my ignorance.

Also, how will Blue Ray and HD DVD look on a 720?

Blu-Ray and HD-DVD will look beautiful on a good 720P display. I bought a Pioneer PDP-5070 a couple weeks ago that I ultimately exchanged for the new 50" 1080P Panny (PZ700U). I sit about 7-8' from the TV. The difference between 720 and 1080 is visible for me at this distance but it's certainly not night and day. At your viewing distance, I would be shocked if you noticed a difference.

if you decide to go to a bigger screen (58"+) I would definitely recommend getting a 1080P set. By the way, both of the models I listed above are great in their own way and you'll hear differing opinions as to which of the 2 has the better PQ.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dunlap /forum/post/0

I bought a Pioneer PDP-5070 a couple weeks ago that I ultimately exchanged for the new 50" 1080P Panny (PZ700U). By the way, both of the models I listed above are great in their own way and you'll hear differing opinions as to which of the 2 has the better PQ.

Those are the exact 2 I am looking at. Why did you exchange?

·
Registered
330 Posts
didn't you already post a similar thread? http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=847885

At your viewing distance on a 50" screen you will not see a difference.

Quote:
As long as it accepts the different INPUTS at 1080

What do you mean by this? Sorry for my ignorance.

Also, how will Blue Ray and HD DVD look on a 720?

Like has been said many many times before. Even if it is a 720p tv it will accept 1080i and some 1080p and scale it to the native resolution of the screen, just as a 1080p plasma will accept a 720p signal up scale it to fit the 1080p panel.

·
Registered
44 Posts

Quote:

Those are the exact 2 I am looking at. Why did you exchange?

Let me be clear -there was NOTHING wrong with the 5070. It was great and I certainly could have lived with it. This was really more about my OCD tendencies and the fact that there was a newer, better (although that's certainly debatable) TV that was within my price range. Like you, I was concerned that I was buying the last of a "dying technology" (720P). In the real world, the differences between the 2 are minimal as far picture quality. The Pioneer has beautiful colors, great processing on SD 4:3 content and a great list of features like CableCard and 3 Component Inputs. The Panny has a sharper picture (I think this is also true of the 720P models) than the Pioneer. Colors I would say are not as vibrant but perhaps a tad more natural looking than the Pioneer. Blu-Ray looks jaw-droppingly amazing on both TV's but slightly better on the Panny.

·
Registered
77 Posts
HD DVD ( XA1 Toshiba ) looks amazing on my new Panny 58"...I tested it at frys at my viewing distance before buying it...it was jaw dropping. Feeding the 1080P signal to the 58PX60U ( Displaying 768P ) was what convinced me to grab the Plasma right then ( Well, that and the price
)

I think you would need the NEXT generation of advancement ( 1440P...or whatever it works out to be in the future ) to notice any difference at your viewing distance.....

·
Registered
528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artwood /forum/post/0

720p should be against the law.

no, it would be better to keep them legal, and put everyone in jail that uses them

for TV and movies. They would be in jail for saving money or because their

viewing distances don't benefit from higher resolution. (like the pub owner

that hangs twenty 720p flat panels high up on his wall for sports)

·
Registered
167 Posts
I would go for the 1080p set if its not too much more theres just too many benefits not too. Like being able to accept its native resolution(almost none of the 768 panels can do this) and not having to scale any 1080i or 1080p sources. I have always wondered why the 768 panels cant accept native resolution. If I run my fixed pixel computer monitor at anything other than its native resolution the image is vastly inferior to when its run at NR and I can only assume that the same thing happens when you run any fixed pixel display at a non NR. On video it is less noticeable but none the less it is not as good. This seems to be the case as the 1080p DLP I had was significantly clearer on all 1080i sources when compared to the 768 panel on the same sources.and this was at 12-13 ft. Again this is just my opinion and observation.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatpanel /forum/post/0

no, it would be better to keep them legal, and put everyone in jail that uses them

for TV and movies. They would be in jail for saving money or because their

viewing distances don't benefit from higher resolution. (like the pub owner

that hangs twenty 720p flat panels high up on his wall for sports)

Or the fool that spends twice as much money on a panel just so he can tell his friends that he got the next greatest thing.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Get down to brass tacks? Personally, I'd rather cut to the chase.

As others have said, you can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p at your viewing distance. The Pioneer accepts 1080p signals (which it scales to 720p), so you won't be left twisting in the wind in a few years when 1080p signals become the norm. Personally, I'd take the Pioneer for the simple fact that it's been out for a year and people fully know what quirks to expect from the panel. Not sure I'd want to trust a brand new 1st gen 1080p panel that has gotten lukewarm reviews on this board.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
The real fact of the matter is that we need plasma sets of 70+ inches so you can get the benefit of 1080p.

We'll have that within 3 years. If LG can make a crummy 71-inch now it won't be long before Pioneer or Panasonic or Samsung makes a great 70+ inch 1080p Plasma that is not cost prohibitive.

Just remember this--everytime that people buy Flat Panel LCDS that suck--Plasma prices continue downward.

Who cares if they become niche market if they're the best and you can still buy one?

·
Banned
10,928 Posts

Quote:

I am about to buy a PDP so my question comes down to buyinf a 720 or 1080p set.

I am buying for the long term so do I go for the 1080p or get the 720? I want a 50 inch screen and will view from 12-15 feet. If I go 720, will I regret it a year from now? There are some really nice choices at 720, but I don't want to short myself either.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

There is a trade-off... better resolution with 1080p versus the higher contrast ratios achievable for 720p... until Panasonic releases their PZ750Us & Pioneer's 8G ( SED Killer ) PDPs are available there is no way to make an informed decision.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.