AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my first design after many questions and lots of reading. I'm going to see if I can get the image up and then follow up with many, many questions. The basics are 18x16.5x9 room that is completely finished i.e. drywall, paint, carpet etc. Right now, it's just a plain old room.


Here is what I want it to look like in general when done. (I'm sure this will change.
)



[/URL] [/IMG]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The basics


Front Wall:


100" Screen located on front wall to maximize room length. No idea what I will do for actual screen material,etc.

Each side of screen has build out which will hide speakers, plus room under and above for center channel and sub. These will be framed 2x4 with fabric and some sort of nice trim.


Right now I have about a foot around the entire screen before the box out starts. Any problem with that?

I have considered placing a small tv in one or both of the columns, but don't want to ruin the setup. This would be ideal for football watching. Possibly have a cover for tv when not in use?


Small curved stage. I guess I need one.



Side Walls:


Plan on having framed 2x4 columns covered in fabric which will hide speakers and also include space for mounting a sconce. These will also be positioned for sound performance.


I am unsure what to do on the painted walls in general. Might go fabric on the walls, but already have textured drywall in place. Ideas?


Back Wall:


10'x6'x10" riser. This riser fits between two doors. Door on the back right is entrance. Door on back left is to closet with components, etc...I am hoping to get 2 rows of 4 in there. 1st row at 11' and 2nd row at 16.5'. Because of space I will need my chairs to be close to the back wall. I know this will impact my sound options. Any advice on rear speakers would be great.


That's it for now. Suggestions and criticism welcome. I'm just happy to get something on paper and get this thing started!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't actually built anything yet. I am still in the design phase right now. After seeing many, many other setups I know that the smallest details in arrangement can make a big difference in how things look. I don't want it to look like a couch on a platform with a big tv in front of it. Lots of planning for now, but I will start actual construction within a week. Look for the thread "show us your screens". It has lots of pics.
 

·
RETIRED theater builder
Joined
·
36,655 Posts
Walls, Having covered my drywall walls with Fabric and 1 inch of Linacoustic I can tell you that doing acoustical treatment on the walls makes a BIG listening difference. You may want to do some more research on that topic. It's really not that hard as a DIY effort.


Small design suggestion, that step you have at the front of the platform, from a safety perspective extend it from the front edge of the platform back to at least even with where the chair arm will be for you back row. That way in the dark no guest will inadvertently step off and put a foot off the side of the step.


Lastly I'm partial to doing something on the ceiling as a design element as part of the stage. In your case you might think about a rounded marquee. Here is what I did.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,963 Posts
Are you planning on 5.1 - 6.1 - 7.1 (or 7.2 or more) surround sound? Usual advice is that if you are doing 6.1/7.1 with two rows of seating, that the left/right surround speakers go half way between the two rows of seating. Putting your sub(s) up front behind the false wall? Do you have enough depth for that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am planning on going 7.1. Thanks for the tip on speaker placement. I will make the changes to the drawing. I'm not sure what I am going to do up there because I don't want to lose a foot off of my 18ft I currently have. Plus that would make the room almost an exact square. I was hoping to keep the screen on the wall with a build out around it. I'm guessing I'll need at least 18" to accomplish that. I know that the wall is built with 2x6 in front of a cinder block wall. I have considered going into this to gain more room.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
RxMan,


I'm new to this but one thing that I have read a few times is that it's bad news to have a room dimension an even multiple of another. You mentioned that the room is 18 x ? x 9 so the length is twice the height. I'm not sure how this will affect your audio but you may want to look into it.


Good luck! Post pictures...everyone like pics!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,963 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxMan1 /forum/post/0


I'm not sure what I am going to do up there because I don't want to lose a foot off of my 18ft I currently have. Plus that would make the room almost an exact square. I was hoping to keep the screen on the wall with a build out around it. I'm guessing I'll need at least 18" to accomplish that. I know that the wall is built with 2x6 in front of a cinder block wall. I have considered going into this to gain more room.

Have you though about putting the front corners on an angel? That would give you room for a sub in one or both of the corners (that is how I did my theater - front corners on an angle with a SVS PC-Ultra in each corner covered with curtains). A false wall with GOM does not change the dimensions of your room from an acoustic standpoint. Also the angled corners make the screen look bigger - optical illusion, but a welcome one
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by P51D /forum/post/0


RxMan,


I'm new to this but one thing that I have read a few times is that it's bad news to have a room dimension an even multiple of another. You mentioned that the room is 18 x ? x 9 so the length is twice the height. I'm not sure how this will affect your audio but you may want to look into it.


Good luck! Post pictures...everyone like pics!

I'm going to look into that. I completely forgot about height.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by usualsuspects /forum/post/0


Have you though about putting the front corners on an angel? That would give you room for a sub in one or both of the corners (that is how I did my theater - front corners on an angle with a SVS PC-Ultra in each corner covered with curtains). A false wall with GOM does not change the dimensions of your room from an acoustic standpoint. Also the angled corners make the screen look bigger - optical illusion, but a welcome one

I have been considering angled corners. How do you have your center speaker positioned? Do you have any pics of your screen wall? I am concerned about 2 things. One is losing a foot of length off of the room because my first row is already at 11ft or so. The 2nd is if I make the screen smaller because of the distance to the first row then I have alot to fill on the sides of the screen. I'm going to use some blue tape and attempt to mask off some things to get a better idea how they would look. What's the minimum I could come out with a false wall and still have room?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,963 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxMan1 /forum/post/0


I have been considering angled corners. How do you have your center speaker positioned? Do you have any pics of your screen wall? I am concerned about 2 things. One is losing a foot of length off of the room because my first row is already at 11ft or so. The 2nd is if I make the screen smaller because of the distance to the first row then I have alot to fill on the sides of the screen. I'm going to use some blue tape and attempt to mask off some things to get a better idea how they would look. What's the minimum I could come out with a false wall and still have room?

I have an acoustically transparent screen (SMX) - my speakers are behind the screen. Sorry I don't have any pics to share - my theater is matte black for the front half, and when I try to take pictures with my crappy camera all I get is a rectangle of white for the screen surrounded by black with no detail. It is on my list to try to get some pics, but has not happened yet.


Your speakers (and future possible speakers) are what controls the minimum depth of the false wall. I think I'm not quite following you on your concerns? 16.5 feet wide is plenty of room for most screens even with speakers and sub(s) on both sides.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My concern is that there would be too much room on the sides for it to look nice. Meaning the smaller the screen then the more room I would have on the sides. Smaller screen needed if I reduce the length of the room. I did tape off a screen on the wall this morning to get an idea of what I'll be working with and feel better about that now. I'm going to get the projector and see what it looks like and then go from there. I wish you could get some pics!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
RX Man


I saw your posts on another thread and thought I might add to it and keep you posted as to what were doing and compare notes.


My room is similar with a 19 foot 2 inch depth however it's 22.5 wide with an angled wall and thus the reason I'm using the 19 foot distance for my viewing area. The wall where the screen will be placed is 16 feet wide and my Cabinet guy is designing a cabinet now to accommodate the screen and keep the screen as close to the wall as possible with the speakers on the sides and front coming out into the room. When he's done, I will post some drawings of it.


I'm going to go with Bello seats which are being released this month or next. Very good design and comfortable. The max width of the chair is 36" with two arm rests or 29.5 with one arm rest. The depth of the chair if 35" and once extended it adds another 24". I'm confirming with Bell"o the foot rest measurements but I'm trying to keep my platform depth at a minimum. I'm going to build the platform the entire width of the room with a 6" or 8" step. I think I should be around 11-12 feet for the first row.


I think your room layout looks great. Good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have read your posts as well. It seems like we have similar ideas in maximizing our room length. I have a few questions for you. How high are you placing your screen from the floor? I am really concerned with getting my screen the right heigth along with my riser. Who knew it was going to be so complicated?



Have you decided how deep you are going to make your riser? I'm not sure we can get away with much less than 6ft. Those chairs would be 59" extended plus room for your feet. Plus the chairs wouldn't be right on the wall. It seems like 6ft might be the minimum. What are your thoughts there? Using the riser calculator with my screen 34" from the floor, I came up with ~9". I'm concerned that 34" will be too high for the first row. Also concerned that 9" won't be high enough for a good view from a reclined position on the back row. Lots of things to consider.


Do you have any sketches of your planned front wall? Are you placing the screen on the wall or coming out some?


Keep in touch. Hopefully, we can help each other out.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top